Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kriskrangle49

Palms of hands peeling extremly bad

Ok so ive had pretty much every symptom from accutane lol. Once they all go away, one comes to say hello. So now, I have extremely dry peeling hands. It started 3 days ago and heres what I'm doing for it. Im on spring break so its easy to moisturize them. I put dove lotion on them every 2 hours or so and at work, I do it like every hour. And at night, I put vasoline on them now but they don't seem to be getting a lot better. My questions are, is this sort of common, what can i do to get them better sooner, and is it bad to peel it or should i leave it alone. Like when i get out of the shower, it is so dry and it's like a little bubble that picks off. I know thats gross but please answer my questions. I have pictures attached.

Ok so ive had pretty much every symptom from accutane lol. Once they all go away, one comes to say hello. So now, I have extremely dry peeling hands. It started 3 days ago and heres what I'm doing for it. Im on spring break so its easy to moisturize them. I put dove lotion on them every 2 hours or so and at work, I do it like every hour. And at night, I put vasoline on them now but they don't seem to be getting a lot better. My questions are, is this sort of common, what can i do to get them better sooner, and is it bad to peel it or should i leave it alone. Like when i get out of the shower, it is so dry and it's like a little bubble that picks off. I know thats gross but please answer my questions. I have pictures attached.

post-123764-1268972180_thumb.jpg

post-123764-1268972211_thumb.jpg

post-123764-1268972180_thumb.jpg

post-123764-1268972211_thumb.jpg

Ok so ive had pretty much every symptom from accutane lol. Once they all go away, one comes to say hello. So now, I have extremely dry peeling hands. It started 3 days ago and heres what I'm doing for it. Im on spring break so its easy to moisturize them. I put dove lotion on them every 2 hours or so and at work, I do it like every hour. And at night, I put vasoline on them now but they don't seem to be getting a lot better. My questions are, is this sort of common, what can i do to get them better sooner, and is it bad to peel it or should i leave it alone. Like when i get out of the shower, it is so dry and it's like a little bubble that picks off. I know thats gross but please answer my questions. I have pictures attached. Btw, ive been on accutane for almost 2 months

post-123764-1268983035_thumb.jpg

post-123764-1268983044_thumb.jpg

post-123764-1268983035_thumb.jpg

post-123764-1268983044_thumb.jpg

The vaseline is a good start and it's great for nighttime use. If you can find cotton gloves (socks would do, too!) to wear over your hands at night after you've applied the vaseline, the vaseline is more likely to stay in place and help all night. Just GLOB that vaseline on!

During the day use whatever moisturizer you have. When you're washing your hands throughout the day, wash with WARM not hot water as hot water increases drying greatly. When you're showering, wash your whole self with warm water, too.

You could even polish your whole body except face with baby oil while you're in the shower.

Lac Hydrin is an exceptional moisturizer for skin that's so dry it is peeling. It contains an alpha hydroxy acid (lactic acid) so that helps moisturize the skin as a humectant, and it also helps exfoliate the skin. I'd highly recommend over the counter lac hydrin on your hands multiple times a day.

If after a week or two of using lac hydrin and vaseline with cotton socks/gloves at night and you see minimal improvement, I'd make an appointment with your derm to see if there might be another reason for the peeling skin. Sometimes an infection or allergy can cause peeling palms, but it's most likely related to the extremely drying effects of Accutane.

I agree with Wynne, it actually looks like Excema and Accutane is known to do that to some. But do consult your doctor if it doesn't eventually heal in a week or two.

Is it itchy? and does your skin (where it hasn't peeled) feel thick?

Jizan.

Thanks. I actually did use cotton gloves and the vasoline last night. My mom suggested that and it did a lottttt. They look better and Ill take those other suggestions on warm water and vasoline. Ill post an update in a few days once this goes away completely. And to you Jizan, its a little itchy but not too bad and it doesn't feel thick at all.

Glad to hear it's better.

I was asking because I sometimes have Excema attacks on my hands, especially on knuckles and end of fingers. It usually starts itching, then the skin seems to get thicker and then cracks.

Thanks for keeping us updated! Best of luck..

Jizan.

Hey,

You've posted this in the wrong subforum, next time post questions like these here and you will get more responses :)

I'd advise you to phone up your derm for an advice. You might even get a prescription cream for this.

Also, I suspect that you might need something different than just ordinary hand cream. Drop by the closest pharmacy and ask them what do they have. I am sure they will offer you something that suits your skin.

Good Luck!

Moved to Accutane posts and merged with existing two topics. One such topic is enough.

Ok well i still have a question. Its getting bettter but its still pretty bad. It looks great after the night after i take off the gloves but during the day, is it bad to peel the skin or what?

I wouldn't peel it off. When you're at home for the day, also use petrolatum jelly and cotton gloves/socks during the day.