Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all....

Today is the day that I have decided to take the leap and begin the accutane treatment.

On April 16th, I will take my final pregnancy test and behind the pills ASAP.

I need support and also wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who is about to begin treatment this coming month....ARE YOU BEGINNING TREATMENT IN MARCH OR APRIL?

About me:

Female

Profession: Advertising/Marketing

History: Struggled with acne since 15/16...screwed up my face 6 months ago when I started getting chemical peels and microdermabrasions...since then I have constant cysts and breakouts and have begun scarring...in my profession, I have to be confident and poised- which is impossible when you are concerned that the whole room is staring at your face.

To the current users: any recommendations on how to best prepare your body for the treatment?

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU...

Edited by Juliet7714

Congratulations! Accutane can really kick your butt if you're not expecting it... Or even if you are, it can!

I started taking 3000mg/3g of fish oil per day for about a month before starting. I think it's helped keep my skin hydrated, my hair great, and it's lessened the aches and pains that are associated with Accutane.

I also think that you should start drinking a lot of water. Go ahead and get in the habit now so you don't completely dry out when you start your treatment. Speaking of good habits, getting into the habit of moisturizing your lips is also a great one.

The most important advice anyone can give you is: Don't get discouraged! It'll be difficult but it's worth fighting for. Also, if life was smooth-sailing, we'd all be bored to tears! You'll hear people say that Accutane is a journey, and it is. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Thanks! I will go out and buy some fish oil tomorrow...I have taken it in the past, so no problem there. Also, I have been dieting like crazy recently (thinking that would help with my acne) and I've been a good girl and been drinking tons of water!

I'm worried about summer coming up...is it really bad to be in the sun??

Also, off topic- what CC code do you use to put a link to your post?

moisturize moisturize moisturize!!

I've heard some bad stories about peoples skin getting really dry throughout their acctuane course. Thankfully I moisturize like every chance I get and before I started accutane I made sure my skin wasn't dry AT ALL and I haven't experienced any dryness so far.

Also, try to minimize how many products you use on your face. It'd be a good idea to use less harsh products because your skin is going to get very thin and sensitive. I suggest the Cetaphil brand of products. They're light and moisturize really well.

I also recommend Derma E Scar Gel which is made out of all natural products and is good for scaring. It takes awhile for it to work but if you stay loyal to it and use it as often as possible, your scars should start fading (it's helped for me at least). However, I'm recommending this because while on accutane the healing process of your skin will slow down and this product REALLY helps to heal any open cuts you have from picking.

As for your question about the sun... yes! it's not the brightest idea to spend hours upon hours to bake in the sun regardless but while on accutane it's ESPECIALLY bad. I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the sun and get out and stuff.. just make sure you use lots of sun tan lotion and don't stay out in it TOO long.. as in don't go tanning. My doctor told me of someone that got a reaaaaaally bad sun burn from tanning and it had scarred her all over while she was on 'tane.

Also, try to stay away from drinking. Accutane isn't exactly the nicest thing to do to your body, especially your liver. Drinking just makes everything ten times worse. There will be people on 'tane that say they went drinking and were fine and they probably were but everyone's different so I would suggest staying away from the stuff.

Also, do not pick! I know from experiencing that it's hell. My skin right now is sooo thin that the littlest cut can turn into a big cut veeeerrrryyyyy quickly if I touch my face. However.. it's a hard habit to kick!

Oh! Also, listen to your body. If you feel something is wrong TELL YOUR DOCTOR. Accutane, as I said before, isn't the best thing to do to your body but if you tell your doctor about ALL your side effects and anything you think may be a side effect you'll be perfectly fine. The people that have bad experiences with accutane most likely didn't inform their doctor of what they were going through. If they had early enough they probably wouldn't be where they are today.

You'll find there are great, amazing supporters on this website and then people that are just great spoilers of this experience. Don't let them scare you, every drug has side effects.

Also, I'm gonna agree with Jerichoa about the don't get discourage point. I've heard of people clearing up within a month of starting, I've heard people clearing up within three months, and I've heard of people not even clearing up till the very last month (month 5). Like I said before, everyone's different and we're all going to react to accutane differently.

sorry this is so long! haha

anyways, best of luck!!! hope to see you with beautiful skin shortly! :wiggle:

Thanks for the post! I will definitely try my best to follow your advice. Also, what makeup do you guys suggest that I use while on the treament? Any cover up/foundation work better then the others?

Is anyone out there starting Accutane next month??

Hello all!

I started taking 40mg of Accutane yesterday....I wonder how long will it take before I start noticing the side effects (dry skin, etc?).

I'm also taking the Omega 3 Fish Oil, what mg do you guys recommend I take daily?

My goal is to stay positive...mind over matter!

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am mid way through Day 4 of treatment....I guess my biggest symptom has been headaches....I NEVER get headaches and I'm getting them about once a day....a couple hours after I take my morning pill. I'm trying to stay hydrated, eating helps also...maybe I will bring some snacks.

I also heard that taking Omega 3 helps with the dryness. Anyone have any ideas for something that helps with the headaches other than the water and well, of course, Tylenol. I sat on the patio to eat lunch yesterday and I got bright red...they really weren't kidding when they said I can't be in the sun. What a bummer.

Hi Juliet- I'm starting Accutane tomorrow! I had my bloodwork done today and my Derm appt is tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get started. This waiting period has been rough but also has given me something to look forward to! I'm a 35 year old female and this will be my 2nd time on Accutane. I took my first course in 2001 and it worked so well, I was clear for years. I don't know what happened...I'm thinking it's hormonal...but my skin just won't stop breaking out. Any way, I'm here going through this with you!! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Hello all,

Just finished day 5 of accutane (my first box in the trash!). No headaches today....but skin is getting worse by the day. Skin is starting to get dry, as well as lips....but i was expecting that.

Herecomesthesun-Thanks girl! How are things going for you? Didn't you go on a cruise or something?

Jayq- Nice observation...I did that on purpose.

srod- Glad to hear that it worked for you the first time atleast. Good luck with your second round!

Hello all,

I'm on my 10th day of treatment....my lips are getting sooo dry...and my face is getting worse by the day. I bought some Cetaphil face wash and lotion...hopefully that will help. I am also thirsty ALL THE TIME....doing my best to drink a lot of water.

Any other advice for the dryness?

Also, I know we aren't supposed to put any acne treatment on (since it will only dry us out more), but I just can't take it...I want to put something on big breakout areas...any suggestions for a spot treatment?

One thing you can do to combat dryness is to apply something like Aquaphor over your moisturizer before you go to bed on your super dry/flaky areas.

Hello! i also started accutane this month, i started on the 21st so it has been 1 week! yay, my face hasnt fried up yet (its REALLY oily!) and my lips are tender, i also got headaches qround day 3 or 4 :(

Well, its good to know that I'm not the only one getting headaches- I found that if I eat a little snack every couple hours, it keeps the headaches away.

I am on day 12 of my treatment...skin drying up (which is a good thing, maybe some of these cyst will heal).

Yesterday, I will feeling really down about my face, it was going down hill fast- so I went and got a pedicure and today I got a new hair cut...and I'm feeling better!!

Not good timing- but I have to go to Miami next week for work....and my two favorite things about Miami- the sun and the booze- both of which I have to avoid this time. So...I'm just trying to get mentally prepared and hoping my skin magically clears up in 4 days.

Here's to hoping :)

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good moisturizing regime? I am washing in the AM and PM with Cetaphil bar and then 2-3 times a day with the Cetaphil face lotion, anything else?

I am also trying to remember to take Omega-3 Fish oil 3xs a day.

Do you think I can use a gentle exfoliate to help the black heads go away??

Well, its good to know that I'm not the only one getting headaches- I found that if I eat a little snack every couple hours, it keeps the headaches away.

I am on day 12 of my treatment...skin drying up (which is a good thing, maybe some of these cyst will heal).

Yesterday, I will feeling really down about my face, it was going down hill fast- so I went and got a pedicure and today I got a new hair cut...and I'm feeling better!!

Not good timing- but I have to go to Miami next week for work....and my two favorite things about Miami- the sun and the booze- both of which I have to avoid this time. So...I'm just trying to get mentally prepared and hoping my skin magically clears up in 4 days.

Here's to hoping :)

No booze for you :naughty:

I just started treatment this april I'm on day 3 currently. Only side effect is the headache, maybe I should take your advice and eat some snacks.

Hello everyone day 16 for me..just threw away my 2nd box!

How long did everyone's IB last? Mine has been on going for over a week now...and its really getting me down...

I'm leaving tomorrow for Miami for work (4 days!)....really bad bad timing, since my face looks the worst that I have EVER SEEN IT!! How is that possible?

To get prepared, I went to Sephora and told them to give me whatever they had to cover me up...I know its not good for me- but desperate times leads to desperate measures. I also bought a facial peel that is supposed to cool and relieve redness- which seemed to work well.

Anyway, just wanted you all to know what a WASTE it will be...I will be in MIAMI on Cinco de Mayo...No Sun and NO Tequila...SHAME SHAME

do not use an exfoliant while on acccutane!!!! lol it will make your skin 20 times drier. My dermatologist told me to avoid them. I wash my face only once a day with cetaphil face wash soap not soap bar cuz that seems too rough and it also seems like you would use it all up quicky..... also seems like bacteria and dust could easily collect on it. I use a new cetaphil lotion called daily advance ERC5 which works great. Accutane is a serious drug.......... make sure you follow the directions your dermatoligist gave you. I have followed them religiously and my face is 95 percent perfect on my thrid month. this is the best time of season to start accutane because your skin and lips wont be as dry do to the warm humid weather. just because popping a pimple or using an exfoliant/dermabrasion seems like a quick cure just wait and literally be amazed as accutane clears all your acne away..... im living proof

good luck

Hello everyone day 16 for me..just threw away my 2nd box!

How long did everyone's IB last? Mine has been on going for over a week now...and its really getting me down...

I'm leaving tomorrow for Miami for work (4 days!)....really bad bad timing, since my face looks the worst that I have EVER SEEN IT!! How is that possible?

To get prepared, I went to Sephora and told them to give me whatever they had to cover me up...I know its not good for me- but desperate times leads to desperate measures. I also bought a facial peel that is supposed to cool and relieve redness- which seemed to work well.

Anyway, just wanted you all to know what a WASTE it will be...I will be in MIAMI on Cinco de Mayo...No Sun and NO Tequila...SHAME SHAME

Ughh, im sorry you that upset =[ i felt like that when they started me on the stuff i used prior to accutane. On my day 17 soo today for u is day 18.....dont worry it will get better soon. I have exfoliated while on tane 3x so far so good, my skin is still not dry and my lips are literally normal. I hope you manage to have some fun today =) Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!! :dance:

Hello all,

It's been about 4 months since I posted on this page....I was very very frustrated with my Accutane journey as my face wasn't clearing up. I just didn't want to talk about it.

However, I'm reaching my breaking point...I'm finishing up my 5th month and I'm STILL have new cysts...I'm taking 80mg a day, so you know the side effects are killing me (mainly back pain and fatigue)...in addition to some anti-biotics to help stop the new breakouts...still nothing.

On top of all that, I still have scars from my IB that aren't healing....

Can anyone relate to this? It's been 180 days of hell so far and the results are not what they should be.

I could really use some support and I would like to hear from people who were in this same position.

Thanks

Hi there, sorry to hear you're not getting results! I don't really have anything to add - I'm only on day 21 myself but I hope you wake up one morning soon and you're skins turned a big corner and you see results. Best of luck.