Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm still suffering cysts and nodules after taking antibiotics and trying to eat well. My face did not have any bumps but left horrible acne scars. So, I decided to eat some junk food in the past few days and now I have 3 cysts and they hurt. I'm now using black soap on my face but my skin is still oily. Plus, Ive been stressed and stopped eating today and yesterday. Oh, I cant go on Accutane because my family wont let me and are wary of the side effects. I'm at lost right now , Im about to be 21 and still get acne.

I'm still suffering cysts and nodules after taking antibiotics and trying to eat well. My face did not have any bumps but left horrible acne scars. So, I decided to eat some junk food in the past few days and now I have 3 cysts and they hurt. I'm now using black soap on my face but my skin is still oily. Plus, Ive been stressed and stopped eating today and yesterday. Oh, I cant go on Accutane because my family wont let me and are wary of the side effects. I'm at lost right now , Im about to be 21 and still get acne.

i feel your pain im 40 and dealing with cysts myself im not able to see my derm for another month wtf!!!

You're an adult. Why can't you decide to take Accutane if you want to? Do you rely on them for financial support?

Unfortunately, I do. I have no other option. I have naturally oily skin and I stress a lot. So maybe I break out from that. Im on an antibiotic it calmed down but its not giving me the best results. I told them I scar badly but they keep telling me to use some other thing or Im using too much chemicals from the derm.

Your parents obviously don't love you. What are they worried about, your pattern of depression? Accutane is the only thing that gave me a ray of light in this life with regards to how I look. I had very oily skin, too. I've been off accutane for about 8 months now and my face is beginning to get oily about 4 hours after a shower. So I shower 3 times a day, using only water to rinse off my face. It helps wash away excess oil without the overdrying effects soaps have. In my case, oily skin = acne. It's worth a shot, but I can tell you as an 10+ year acne sufferer there's not much that works other than accutane.

It feels like they dont, but then again I often think about the side effects. If I take it and get horrible side effects or worse skin, they would love to say, "I told you so". I had acne for eight years and it makes me very depressed. My skin was the only thing going for me. Eight years ago, I used to have nice skin and a smooth complexion. They believe stress is causing my acne, so they say stop worrying and forget about it. I also think it can be a factor but maybe its a deeper seated issue like genetics or an internal problem. I really dont know, but I guess Im going to have to wait until Im out of school and live on my own(which isnt any time soon ) to get Accutane.

Edited by deenem

You're parents are also right, to a degree. Stress only exacerbates acne, but does not necessarily cause it. Acne sufferers have an affinity to getting pimples. So thinking positive maybe reduce acne but likely won't stop it.

I can almost assure you than on accutane, your face will get worse within the first 2 months. But then, all of a sudden, everything dries up and you skin begins to clear. Your skin will get dry too, very dry. But by washing with only water and using a light moisturizer, like the on the acne.org sells, you'll be able to curb embarrassing flaky skin.

The biggest issue with accutane is that it causes birth defects. Occasionally, some unfortunate individuals suffer from heightened triglycerides (which can be treated with a statin) and/or increased liver enzymes (which can be decreased by simply stopping isotretinoin consumption).

*moderator edit*

I would definitely do something about it though. I'm 25, have oily skin and started getting small pimples again, so just think if you want to have acne for the next 4+ years of your life

Hi...

well your parents are definetly right to be concerned, But I think it should be your decision in the end cos you are 20! but I totally understand cos my parents would probabaly not allow em to go on accutane (im 20) but I've gone on it without telling anyone at home, only one of my closest best friend. the main reason I didn't tell my mum was because firstly Im way to embarased about havign acne and I NEVER talk about it to anyone. But ive read SO many amazing reviews on accutane being the next best thing a a cure, I just had to go on it as I'm getting SO depressed cos of acne!!!!

your parents won't understand whats its like to live with acne!!!! you should take advice from a dermatologist!! If everything with your blood test is normal then you may not have very seriuos side effects, but the best thing to do is take profesiional advice!

hope it works out for you

x

Hi, i was personally on accutane two years ago, it worked wonders for me, here are the side effects that i experienced...

Very dry lips..easy solution put vaseline or something like that on em every day.. i didnt at first, and licked my lips, only making it worse, but once i started with the vaseline it was fine.

Sun sensitivity, wear a sunscreen and do not expose yourself to sun too long

Dry skin of course, you need to use a moisturizer

any other symtoms varied and were to minor to note. It is definitly worth it, also if you are a female, you need to have a female exam (to make sure u dont have cervical cancer) be put on birth control( they can cause birth defects if you are pregnant) and undergo monthly liver tests.

It is worth it! give it a try, and make sure you sit your parents down with the Dr. maybe they don't understand fully. Hope this helps!

Edited by vikki17

I am on an antibiotic, I dont think it is good to be on it for a long time but I believe my face would look a lot worse without it . I heard youre acne comes back after you stop taking Accutane, so what's the point anyway? My derm said that using a topical alone wont do much for my skin because I get cysts and they leave bad scars. Thats why antibiotics help my skin a little but nothing major. I dont want to experience the Accutane side effects though. How long were you guys clear?

Hi...

well your parents are definetly right to be concerned, But I think it should be your decision in the end cos you are 20! but I totally understand cos my parents would probabaly not allow em to go on accutane (im 20) but I've gone on it without telling anyone at home, only one of my closest best friend. the main reason I didn't tell my mum was because firstly Im way to embarased about havign acne and I NEVER talk about it to anyone. But ive read SO many amazing reviews on accutane being the next best thing a a cure, I just had to go on it as I'm getting SO depressed cos of acne!!!!

your parents won't understand whats its like to live with acne!!!! you should take advice from a dermatologist!! If everything with your blood test is normal then you may not have very seriuos side effects, but the best thing to do is take profesiional advice!

hope it works out for you

How did you get on Acctuan without your parents insurance? Im trying to find a way but I honestly dont even have the energy to go through the whole process.

Edited by deenem

Okay you are almost 21 years old and still parental dependent. We live in a time of economic crisis so that is understandable...however sooner or later you must stand on your own two feet. Their fears about accutane are not without merit but the truth of the matter is that tens of thousands of people have used accutane with extremely good results and with minimal side effects. I know whereof I speak because I am one of those people.

It would be in your best interests and that of your parents to sit down with a dermatologist and obejctively weigh the pros and cons of using accutane. Unfortunately there are a very small minority of people who do not benefit from accutane or they suffer very extreme side effects and not infrequently populate this forum spreading dark tales about their experience with thsi powerful drug, which while not untrue are atypical. Remember too, that you will be monitored while you are taking accutane or its generic equivilent: isoretonin.

As I see it you have two choices: continue with the status quo and increasing disfigurement as the hideous disease of acne takes its toll on your face OR have a RATIONAL discussion with a competent derm and your parents on the pros and cons of accutane...of course there is a third option which is leave home, establish yourself, be your own person which is easier said than done sometimes, but perhaps might be the best solution in the long run.

Wishing you all the best,

Joe Zit

Does anyone know how I can get Accutane without my parents financial support? Im running out of options and I have a HUGE red cyst on my face that hurts. I'm out of antibiotics and Im scared my face is going to look worse and severe again. I'm pretty down now

OK so I argued with my dad about taking Accutane and how I cant deal with acne anymore. He is a nurse and said his coworkers who had acne used black soap with great results. I told him to look at my face, it looks awful with this huge red cyst on my face. He said IM not giving it time and the doctors and coworkers said not to use the drug because its dangerous. I told him hes not living with it and he said "fine use that drug and destroy your body and liver." Im upset right now because its going to get worse and worse. Should I take something in the meantime. Should I check inside my body internally?

Edited by deenem

Does anyone know how I can get Accutane without my parents financial support? Im running out of options and I have a HUGE red cyst on my face that hurts. I'm out of antibiotics and Im scared my face is going to look worse and severe again. I'm pretty down now

OK so I argued with my dad about taking Accutane and how I cant deal with acne anymore. He is a nurse and said his coworkers who had acne used black soap with great results. I told him to look at my face, it looks awful with this huge red cyst on my face. He said IM not giving it time and the doctors and coworkers said not to use the drug because its dangerous. I told him hes not living with it and he said "fine use that drug and destroy your body and liver." Im upset right now because its going to get worse and worse. Should I take something in the meantime. Should I check inside my body internally?

yooooo.. the struggle for acne is one of the hardest things to overcome.. because if you dont have acne... you dont know how hard it is... i had a HUGE breakout from having completely clear skin about 2 months ago and have researched my way to clear skin.. besides having gay ass post inflammatory hyper pigmentation... sooooo heres what i did... and i truly hope it works for everyone else.. i will be posting pictures as soon as the PIH goes away a little more..

-i drink lots of roobois tea (4+ cups a day.. and i use each bag twice and compile them all in one jug at the end of the night and use em again)

-i shower 2x a day.... MORNING i use biore clear complexion scrub facial wash..(wait 10 min) put on acne.org BP..(wait 10 min) then i use aloe gel mixed with clean and clear acne moisturizer and 3 drops of jojoba oil...

NIGHT i do the same thing but instead of the aloe gel and clean and clear acne moisturizer i use dans AHA+ with 4-5 drops of jojoba oil..

***whenever i wash my face after im done i wash clean with a sponge that is a little rough and lightly scrub my face. Not hard, but, not soft.

-I always try and keep my head up. You're going to beat your self down but, catch yourself every time and pick yourself up

-i drink lots of water

-i work out 4 days a week (very hard, work to a sweat or your not working hard enough)

-i wash my sheets and pillow case 1x every 1-2 weeks..

-i never touch my face and when i do its with the back of my hand to get an annoying itch..

-i always try and sleep on my back even though i loved to sleep on my stomach.. (anything to avoid the pillow touching my face

MY SUPPLEMENTS (2x a day morning and night on full stomach)

-fish oil

-vitamin e

-vitamin d3

-niacinimide

-ibuprofen 1200 mg's a day

-zinc

This has helped me A LOT... i dont really believe in food effecting acne.. i eat spurts of pizza, milk from cereal, ice cream... and it doesnt cause me to break out... just merely coincidence i think.. I will be posting pics very very soon.. PM if you have any questions..

PS. stick with it.. i didnt see results until about a month into it