Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaya83

Will only 25mg/day SPIRONOLACTONE produce good results??

Hi! I just joined this forum today! It's great that everyone can share their experiences and help one another out while go through this pain-in-the-butt acne issue! ;)

So I have suffered from cystic acne for 11 years now (15-26). I've tried everything out there ,except Accutane and Spironolactone, and nothing has worked. I am praying that one of these two will be my cure! I've read up on both plenty, but am still faced with a dilemma.

I went to my derm yesterday, and said I have moderate cystic acne with lot's of scarring and should definitely go on Accutane. However because of the harsh s/e I opted to go with Spiro. The problem is my normal BP tends to be slightly on the low side, so he wants to start and keep me on a 25mg dose once a day for 6 weeks, which is when I have a check up with him to see how I'm doing and check my K+ levels, etc.

My problem is that I am afraid that this dose is far too low for any changes to take place and that it will waste my time! (I am currently studying for a college exam that will take a few months, so i'll be at home studying during this time-w/o ever having to leave my house, so its the perfect time for me to try spiro and esp accutane since it's harsh!) So now I think I should take Accutane (which my derm suggested I do from the beginning) I would much rather take Spiro over Accutane, but my darn BP is too low! Ah!

Has anyone had any good results from taking only 25mg of Sprio a day??? I am 5-2, and about 100 lbs. and slightly low BP.

PLZ HELP ME CHOOSE!!! AND FAST! I have to make my decision this week!! THANK YOU!!! smile.gif

Well I saw results on 50mg spiro. Not enough to clear me completely, but it did clear my body acne 100% on just 50mg (I was also on dianette). I was precribed 100mg but I decided to start out on half the dose as I tend to have bad reactions to meds.

I suppose it's not definite that spiro will lower your blood pressure any more. I do think spiro is a great med and while I don't know whether you'll see results on 25mg you could do on 50mg like I did. If you decide on spiro then maybe get a blood pressure monitor at home. My blood pressure has gone low on spiro, which means I can't take any more than 75mg, but it's handy to be able to check my blood pressure at home on my monitor.

Do you use any topicals? What got me 100% clear was dianette, spiro 75mg and retin-a! Shame I had to come off the dianette. But I did find the retin-a helpful because the texture of the skin is so much better, and it works well to fade scars.

25 mgs. is probably too low to get results. I am on 25 mgs and it is not doing much. I think it's helping a little, but not enough. I think you need at least 50 mgs. a day to get good results.

25 mgs. is probably too low to get results. I am on 25 mgs and it is not doing much. I think it's helping a little, but not enough. I think you need at least 50 mgs. a day to get good results.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! So I got my Spiro prescription today for 50mg/day! :) I am also on Duac and Tazorac creams. They want to keep me on that dose of Spiro for 6 weeks until I come in for a check up. Depending on how I am feeling and how my blood results come out, they will see whether or not I can up my dose.

I already got my prescription filled and am starting day 1 of my journey tomorrow :) I am so excited and pray that it works...I am sick of dealing with this! How about you? When did you start your treatment and are you on anything else, as well? Good luck and I really hope it works for us and everyone else that is having the same problem!

Well I saw results on 50mg spiro. Not enough to clear me completely, but it did clear my body acne 100% on just 50mg (I was also on dianette). I was precribed 100mg but I decided to start out on half the dose as I tend to have bad reactions to meds.

I suppose it's not definite that spiro will lower your blood pressure any more. I do think spiro is a great med and while I don't know whether you'll see results on 25mg you could do on 50mg like I did. If you decide on spiro then maybe get a blood pressure monitor at home. My blood pressure has gone low on spiro, which means I can't take any more than 75mg, but it's handy to be able to check my blood pressure at home on my monitor.

Do you use any topicals? What got me 100% clear was dianette, spiro 75mg and retin-a! Shame I had to come off the dianette. But I did find the retin-a helpful because the texture of the skin is so much better, and it works well to fade scars.

Darlin:

Thank you for your reply!!! I really appreciate it :) I am new to this whole website/forum and I meant to reply to you and Anti-Em, but I think I accidentally only replied to her comment on the thread. I am not sure if you can see what I posted or not...just in case I'll copy/paste it here!

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! So I got my Spiro prescription today for 50mg/day! smile.gif I am also on Duac and Tazorac creams. They want to keep me on that dose of Spiro for 6 weeks until I come in for a check up. Depending on how I am feeling and how my blood results come out, they will see whether or not I can up my dose.

I already got my prescription filled and am starting day 1 of my journey tomorrow smile.gif I am so excited and pray that it works...I am sick of dealing with this! When did you start your treatment and how long did it take you to see results with 50mg's of Spiro? My derm never mentioned Dianette or the retin-a...so perhaps I'll bring that up next time I see him. I definitely have tons and tons of old acne scars and am still makin' new ones! :rolleyes: have you ever conisdered doing this new laser called Fraxel? That's something I'm definitely going to consider at the end of all this treatment!

Good luck and I really hope it works for us and everyone else that is having the same problem!

I hope you get good results! I was already on Dianette when I started Spiro, but the Dianette had failed to clear my skin properly like it had the first time around. I don't actually recommend Dianette because I swear it made my hormone imbalance 100000x worse when I came off it the first time. Then what happens is you go back on it and it doesn't work very well. Loads of people say the same and I actually wish I'd never gone on it in the first place.

So I started on 50mg Spiro about 18 months ago. I saw results straight away, within about a week. I didn't have an initial breakout. My skin continued to get better gradually over a couple of months, and my back and chest cleared completely. My face was more difficult to clear which is why I upped the Spiro again and added the Retin-a.

I have had problems with low blood pressure on 100mg. But it seems like Spiro doesn't lower blood pressure for everyone, even if it was low to start with.

The Retin-a seems to be seeing to my acne scars, although my scarring is mainly red marks and what looks like smudged pores if that makes sense. So not actually pitted. I got clear on this combo and could actually go without foundation for the first time in many years. The Retin-a was really difficult for the first few months due to peeling and red, burnt looking patches. But it did settle nicely.

Good luck! At least they are monitoring you. That is reassuring.

I am considering the same two things (accutane and spiro) and my derm appt is monday!!

i'm happy to hear you got spiro! Keep us updated.

Spiro is the one I am leaning towards, and for a few reasons:

I already have sensitive, thin, red skin and just underwent smoothbeam treatments (pretty unsuccessfully). Smoothbeam hits the oil glands to make them produce less oil, which sounds kind of like accutane without the side effects. And smoothbeam didnt work... atleast not well. My skin feels overall less oily now and my makeup lasts longer, but I still break out about the same as before.

Also, with summer coming up and me living in florida, it is not a good time for me to take anything that will make me more red and sensitive. If accutane turns me as bright red as my friend who tried it, I will be near as self-conscious going swimming and camping and all those summer events as I am with the acne.

I looked up accutane and spironolactone on a sun-warning list, and they BOTH make you more photosensitive (and so do antibiotics). From the people I have met who have taken accutane, it just seems to me that the photosensitivity is very extreme with accutane, and I haven't heard anyone mention that with spiro.

I am hoping my derm agrees with me on the spiro because it can take up to 6 months to really see full results. If I get that next week, I should wait until september of this year to decide if it is really helping me. If not, then I will try accutane during the winter, while the sun is less intense and I am too busy in school to drink!

thanks for that info anti-em! I had read the I couldn't so SB in the 6 mos after accutane, but I thought it was ok the other way around. Guess I'll have to do more research!

Is there any info out there about spiro and lasers?