Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davey Boy

Male Pattern Balding

How likely is accutane to accelerate male pattern balding (MPB)?

I am losing hair at the front quite rapidly, and if accutane is going to make a lasrge difference, this could be a deciding factor in coming off it.

There's a pretty big thread on hair loss a page or two back you should check out. Short answer, around 13% of people who take accutane report some hair loss or thinning while taking accutane. The percentage that has permanent hair loss is much smaller, but I couldn't tell you exactly what it is.

If you're already experiencing MPB, no doubt there is a chance it could be accelerated a bit. Anecdotally, I've noticed a bit of shedding from accutane, but it hasn't impacted my hair line or the overall thickness of my hair (yet). I work in an office and sit at my desk for probably 10 hours a day, and at the end of a workday I'll notice a few hairs on my desk / keyboard. But I am not losing hair in the shower, when I sleep, etc. Oh and I didn't have any previous MPB, so my experience may or may not help ya.

Edited by Pimpstick