Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr President

Accutane and Scarring

Hey all,

I've been roaming these forums for what feels like months now. I've been using BP for about 7 years and its left me with uneven skin and pitted skin. Not terrible, but in the scheme of things probably moderate scarring. Every time ive seen a dermatologist they have suggested accutane.

I've always stayed clear of it due to the comments here that it leads to even more scarring and this has always worried me. I've been breaking out a lot lately with big red pimples that seem to be scarring quite a bit. I used to develop one or two a week. Now im developing 5-6 daily. Its been like this for the past five months. I've decided to take the plunge and just go on accutane. Does anyone have any advice? Any would be great.

I realise I may develop even more scarring and this is killing me inside. Overall though, it seems like the best bet - since im scarring anyway. I know im definitely not as good looking as I used to be and will probably develop even more scarring. Ah well whats are looks anyway, lol. I wonder if I use copper peptides whilst on it, i wouldnt scar? I really trust your input guys. Almost like family after all these months of posting.

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

Well I would advise against it. I never scarred before accutane, but whilst I was on accutane every zit left a scar. Also after accutane, my skin is more prone to scarring than ever.

Oh and... yes, the breakouts aren't as bad as before, but they certainly aren't gone.

If you decide to go for it, take a low dose (like 10mg).

Steer well clear of accutane! Im still surprised people even consider it. Its a temporary solution, destroys your body, hundreds of side effects ( of which i have seen a few in my friends) and it makes your skin extremely sensitive! This is why scarring is so common if you are on a course of accutane. This is why you are told not to use any other facial medications whilst on it.

Accutane doesnt address the root cause of your acne. My dermatologist wont even prescribe accutane to any patients. He says its just too much of an extreme measure and is not required. You need to help yourself and diagnose the root cause of why you get acne. This requires research and some help from your GP or doctor. The most common is hormone inbalance. If you get a blood test or a saliva test you can have them tested and then work to balance them out. No side effects and you will see results 10 times as fast.

People need to start questioning why they get acne. Its your body telling you something is wrong internally, your body just doesnt give you acne for the sake of it. You will never be cured unless you address this internal issue.

-MJ

Steer well clear of accutane! Im still surprised people even consider it. Its a temporary solution, destroys your body, hundreds of side effects ( of which i have seen a few in my friends) and it makes your skin extremely sensitive! This is why scarring is so common if you are on a course of accutane. This is why you are told not to use any other facial medications whilst on it.

Accutane doesnt address the root cause of your acne. My dermatologist wont even prescribe accutane to any patients. He says its just too much of an extreme measure and is not required. You need to help yourself and diagnose the root cause of why you get acne. This requires research and some help from your GP or doctor. The most common is hormone inbalance. If you get a blood test or a saliva test you can have them tested and then work to balance them out. No side effects and you will see results 10 times as fast.

People need to start questioning why they get acne. Its your body telling you something is wrong internally, your body just doesnt give you acne for the sake of it. You will never be cured unless you address this internal issue.

-MJ

thanks heaps for your replies everyone. ahh again the stories of scarring.the hormone inbalance thing might be good though. i must go and see about that.

im not too sure why i get acne, but who really does. ive had it since i was about 12. i picked pretty early on which may have spread it originally. i eat pretty healthy, i have practically no sugar, drink loads of green tea, dont eat much red meat, have a salad a day and veges. ive been on BP for years. the only thing im still doing that my derm told me not to is drink milk.

each derm says accutane is the only real cure and heaps of them are saying this. i wouldnt usually be considering it but im on a bit of a downer. i found out today another guy my age in my uni degree has taken accutane and hasnt gotten any scarring from it. ive had a chat to my family and all and they are saying maybe acne.org isnt a true representation of the population? maybe most people dont scar?

in regards to the second quote, yeah i know im 23 and i still get acne. im getting them more now than before so maybe im just growing slowly. i was born pretty early maybe thats why. guess its not important ultimately.

It's very rare for a 23 year old MALE to still get breakouts. Do you know the cause of your breakouts?

I think the guy which said about hormones is right in his thoughts and he means to say that masturbation is the main cause ,I agree with him if he means that,but i think accutane is not so bad as he is describing.

Sure he is right u can stop your hormonal unbalance I agree with him 100% and as he said it is better than accutane and faster.

Hormone imbalance is just one of the possibilities. One of the main signs of hormonal acne is whether you get acne around your jawline. There are however 2 other main causes that through research i have pinned acne to:

- Congested liver ( faulty liver)

- Colon issues ( such as leaky gut, food allergies)

The link between diet and acne is definately there but its not the food that is causing the acne; its how the body digests it which causes the problem.

Ive read lots of studies and these 3 to me seem to be the common/main link. Dermatologists are adament that diet has no effect on acne and this is true. Thats why lots of people can eat all sorts of crap and still have porcelain skin. Whereas a large number of us have bodies that cannot digest the food the way it should be.

The liver is the purifier in the body, it cleans out free radicals from the blood stream. If your liver isnt functioning properly then it is unable to do this efficiently, and the skin has to take over and gets rid of toxins through the skin as you guessed it, SPOTS!

MJ_

what do u think about masturbation?

I am sure it is one of the main sources of acne.

because it has someting to do with hormones

what do u think?(i am sure)

MJ_

Ive tried to find studies on masturbation and acne, yet its yielded no real results. However the very few studies that did take place, found a common link. Testosterone levels increase only slightly if not at all.

Human beings with higher androgen levels are more prone to acne. The truth of the matter is we simply dont know at the moment. More research is needed into the topic.

Its a topic with 2 distinct sides. Lots claim it has no effect, yet others claim it has a noticeable effect. If you pin your acne down to masturbation then i advise doing an experiment. Try to abstain from masturbation for a short period of time and note ANY changes at all.

There was a test carried out on the boards a while ago to do with masturbation, however for the life of me i cant find the thread :( It was a long thread with useful information in.

Peoples' whos acne is caused by masturbation may have a higher testosterone spike than other people. who knows.

If you do attempt an experiment make a post so you can log your results :)

I took it... Had some dryness and dry eyes... 5 months later, no acne. If I hadn't taken it, I probably would have had another 5 years of devastation, minimum. Any scars I had came from the breakouts. I was about 27 at the time. Chances are you will have little to no problem.

I took it... Had some dryness and dry eyes... 5 months later, no acne. If I hadn't taken it, I probably would have had another 5 years of devastation, minimum. Any scars I had came from the breakouts. I was about 27 at the time. Chances are you will have little to no problem.

thanks for the advice mate. it sounds like a lot of people only get scars from the initial breakout. i suppose if i dont pick them and keep applying ice to them, the inflamation might not be so bad. is there anything else i can do whilst on it to stop potential scarring?

It's very rare for a 23 year old MALE to still get breakouts. Do you know the cause of your breakouts?

umm.. thanks doctor, are you kidding me?? Get a clue..

Edited by callmeamack

lol thats what i find funny about these posts. so many people saying, ur too old to get acne or dont try accutane. i love the help but some real advice would be good. from this all i have is masterbation may or may not cause it and a whole heap of articles that again tell me how bad it is. im not really left with anything that i can really use.

ive been on here for ages and the discussions just seem to go around in circles, so much so that i really havent tried anything with my skin instead of the weird products ive purchased on a wim. it might just be the reason why it is getting progressively worse over time. its gotten to the point i hate looking at myself in the mirror. im a good looking guy but even im starting to get truly repulsed.

i realise accutane may cause even more scars to my already scarred face and this kept me away from it for years. ive told everyone ive met this and scared the hell out of them. i had a really good chat to my mum last night. mainly because its gotten to a point it is delibitating. im getting acne and scarring. im sitting around the house, too embarrassed to head out, i dont eat regularly, i keep cancelling all my outings with mates and im missing uni classes. im starting to lose my goals for the future and based on the scar treatment forums here - nothing at all will work and im bound to be scarred for life. if you look closely at any of the forums here, you see posters saying everything doesnt work. what are we truly left with? are we just scarring ourselves out of making the most critical and possibly life altering treatments in our life. the funny thing is most of the people im mates with, at uni, at school, at work and who i see out and about use these everyday products and are truly able to get on with their lives. these are same products we reject. they dont sit in these forums endlessly (like me and a few other posters im afraid) negatively reviewing and and every single product and treatment out there and destroying the hope of everyone that comes in here.

i feel like im in a bit of a hole and there doesnt seem to be a way out of it. if i have a chance to just get rid of the acne, maybe it will stop the problems down the track. if i promise not to pick any of the acne that flares up and keep using copper peptides and ice, fingers crossed i wont scar. if i do, im just more in the situation im already in. but minus the acne. im just trying to have a little faith, since its something i need right now.

MJ_

Ive tried to find studies on masturbation and acne, yet its yielded no real results. However the very few studies that did take place, found a common link. Testosterone levels increase only slightly if not at all.

Human beings with higher androgen levels are more prone to acne. The truth of the matter is we simply dont know at the moment. More research is needed into the topic.

Its a topic with 2 distinct sides. Lots claim it has no effect, yet others claim it has a noticeable effect. If you pin your acne down to masturbation then i advise doing an experiment. Try to abstain from masturbation for a short period of time and note ANY changes at all.

There was a test carried out on the boards a while ago to do with masturbation, however for the life of me i cant find the thread :( It was a long thread with useful information in.

Peoples' whos acne is caused by masturbation may have a higher testosterone spike than other people. who knows.

If you do attempt an experiment make a post so you can log your results :)

mj.

I've seen the thread of masturbation all guys who stopped masturbation got very nice results in one month, i know someone in person who stopped for 2 weeks and he started getting clear,if anyone here is masturbating he for sure will develope acne regardless of all the fucking studies that claims that there is no link.

I've read a lot about that studies and i came to a conclusion which i really believe it:

Imagine that a study comes out saying that masturbation is the cause of 95% of the acne what would the medicine companies do with their products?how would they sell them?and how they would stop producing the shits of topicals which do nothing for stopping breakouts?Imagine the crisis they would face.I want all people here to know that topicals will absolutely do nothing to stop breaking out because its large molecules will simply not penetrate throught the skin and hence it may have an effect after the acne has come out.we aim to trigger acne before it appears and it is only possible from inside as the topicals will not penetrate the epidermis which is the thinnest layer of the skin.

So for everybody: dont cheat yourselves by saying masturbation will not cause acne.even if your doctor says that it doesn't i think you should tell him fuck off.

and as to the guy who said the forum here is as circulating in the same place he is right i will quit this forum and live my life.

that's absolute bull

use tazorac or retin a instead of accutane. that way you can treat your scarring and acne at the same time. tazorac has a very high success rate btw. also, i heard the smoothbeam laser works very well in suppressing oil glands and therefore dramatically reducing acne (also helps scars a little). use both of these at the same time instead of accutane.

Edited by 4meracneguy