Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astrobhoy

Dan's BP - As good as it used to be? Has it Changed?

I got a new bottle a few months ago and have noticed it is irritating my eyes. even if i don't get too close to my eyes, it makes my eyes sting a bit and get watery, then it goes away after blinking a bit. it has never done this before and i'm not applying it differently, but it seems to work normal and there is no redness. It seems like there are some vapours off the bp that irritate the eyes which explains the irritation when it isnt near the eyes, and the fact there is a slight delay in the onset of the irritation. Whats up with this??

Guest Timehealsall

anyone experiencing issues or problems with batch 03351212?

Hi Guys,

been a while since I originally posted on this and just thought I'd share what I've had to do to keep up the regime.

As you know since I started this post I've really not been happy with the BP. I made my case strongly, Dan and team insisted that it hadn't changed,...and I still don't believe that. I had bought 4 large 16oz bottles of the BP, and the fact I live in UK meant it was not feasible for me to return it and could not sell it on either.

So, I was then stuck with these 'weaker' bottles of 9341 BP. Could they still be used?

I decided to go back to a different 'un-usable' type of BP available in UK (perhaps in north america too?) – Panoxyl Aquagel.

Now, when I first used Panoxyl it was a nightmare - too strong, and too harsh on my skin. Overdried, and reddish, and needed a lot of moisturiser. I can't say for certain what I used - whether it was 2.5% or 5%, but it was too strong for me. when I switched to Dan's BP way back at the beginning, Dan's BP was fantastic, so never needed Panoxyl again.

I decided to try and revive these 'redundant' bottles of BP that I have, and I invested in a tube of Panoxyl Aquagel 2.5%. Perhaps it would give my BP and bit of effectiveness again. I probably had about half a bottle of the large 16oz BP, and squeezed a full tube of the Panoxyl Aquagel in and gave it a good mix. That test batch worked so much better, taking it back to the way the BP was before all this.

Since I've used that up I've now opened up a new bottle of Dan's BP, and this time I've added Panoxyl Aquagel 5% in. My reason for increasing to 5% was purely becuase the tubes are small, and to 'dilute' the BP I thought it would make sense to increase the BP percentage - so far it's working well.

In my mind I have no doubt that the 9341 bottles I purchased weren't the same - although I could argue this till I'm blue in the face. Will I continue to use and order Dan's BP - absolutely. Even if it means that I have to do what I'm doing just now it makes sense to keep doing so. Hopefully the current batches have improved and when I purchase again, I won't need to do what I'm doing now.

Before I go kids, and before I get a slap in the wrist for suggesting mixing unknown chemicals (and in a disclaimer type way)....."...don't try this at home!" ;-)

This thread sounds like issues of chemicals settling and separating slightly in the bottles over time. Sometimes BP will sink or rise or something else in the solution will do that, even in the best suspensions. Some inactive ingredients in high concentrations may cause irritation. The bottom of a tube will be towards the cap-end. The bottom of a bottle is self-explanatory. Using a tube will eventually get to the crimped end away from the cap. The bottle with a pump has been pumping out the bottom and will eventually get to the remaining top. Also, the more air is in the container, the more oxidizing of the BP will occur to make it weaker. So there might even be two things going on in there. Smaller quantities from other companies are less likely to encounter either.

If Dan's gel usually works for you, I'd suggest mixing in your hand a newer batch towards the end of your old bottle/tube and go 50/50 to offset what's probably happening until the old runs out. Repeat with the new batch as it gets old or settles with an even newer one. This is a good idea, regardless, since there shouldn't be a break in treatment and you should keep continuity.

One way to alleviate this would be for DKR products to be in aluminum tubes, like old-style toothpaste. That way there's no air inside. And state on the tube that it should be kept on its side. Put a cap on it that it can't be propped up on. Refrigeration might also be necessary at these quantities.

No version I've ever had of it smelled terribly weird or like cinnamon or detergent. I came in at the beginning of his products and again just recently since the Oxy branding got sold. Were those from a few years back, but not the beginning?

As an aside, Oxy 10 WAS the best you could buy. Period. End of story. It is the original BPO product that the first and much subsequent research was done with. It’s what forced Clearasil to move away from sulfur to BP to compete. Mentholatum is not selling the original formula, since they did not acquire it. Just the stupid branding.

Dan's has always been too weak for me, but the new stuff is particularly so... though some of the first iterations may have been irritating for reasons other than the BP. So the reduced irritation might actually be revealing its inherent lack of BP concentration that's always been an issue for those that needed more. I’d like him to offer 5 and 10% versions of this current base/gel type, which is fairly tolerable, and with sulfur or salicylic acid added, and ones with all three. Different strengths, different combos.

There's an erroneous assumption in thinking that simple 2.5% BPO is going to do it and I've never met a dermatologist who thinks that's a sound treatment strategy for everyone.

Edited by Reti

my skin has been burned since february 2011 and i am wondering if the batches i have been using have anything to do with it. anyone any issue with #0104 or #0105? :(

dammit. Just when I wanted to try Dan's Regime out! AH. Now I am not sure. HM. I was also interested in the back kit as well...I would shoot myself if it got worse. I wish there was such thing as a skin transplant, Lets scrap this skin off and start all over. Ahh

Guest Timehealsall
my skin has been burned since february 2011 and i am wondering if the batches i have been using have anything to do with it. anyone any issue with #0104 or #0105? :(

is it a permanent burn?!

Guest Timehealsall

ok this is weird... i am experiencing very itchy skin with dans BP (never had that issue before... just after i got a new batch 3 months or 4 months ago)... my skin turns bright red (Almost like rosacea)

and i am getting enlarged pores. WTF

I have been having similar serious problems with acne.org BP treatment that I ordered in March.

After applying the BP treatment, my skin turns red within a few hours (looks like a sunburn), lasting for a day or two. Then my skin flakes and peels off. It goes back to normal after about a week.

This has happened repeatedly. I'm certain the cause is the acne.org BP treatment... after the first couple times it happened, I stopped using the BP treatment for a while, then when I started again the redness and peeling started immediately again. It happens even if I do not use other products on my face except for a gentle cleanser.

This was not a problem with previous acne.org BP treatments that I ordered in January and earlier. I did not experience any redness or peeling using the acne.org BP treatment until I started the BP treatment ordered in March.

This makes me concerned about the safety of acne.org products...

have been off post again for a while, and interesting to see long term users are still concerned and getting strange results.

For me, I have now officially ditched Dan's BP I'm sorry to say. For one, it was always difficult to get and expensive to import to the UK, but even now if it appeared on the shelf in the local chemist I wouldn't buy it. I am still using BP though - I have switched to Panoxyl 2.5%BP Aquagel and it is fantastic. I have gone from lumpy/bumpy skin to smooth and clear in days.

Way back at the beginning of this thread I started I explained that if I left the regime for a few days up to a week the acne would return, and sometime I just needed to 'Blitz' it with some BP and then it would be gone. That stopped happening for me with the 'New' batch I bought. But what I was also getting was acne returning in other areas.

I believe there is an inconsistency with the product whoever is making it, and I'm sure it is being investigated and hopefully sorted - BUT THAT IS MY OPINION, AND NOT FACT.

I still wish to thank Dan personally for brining this regime to the masses and as well as make a sucessful business out of it - help many acne sufferers worldwide.

Panoxyl 2.5% is not perfect, but I can put it on a bedtime and go without it during the day. My skin has never felt so smooth. I still get a bit of redness, but I always did have that with Dan's stuff anyway, I think that's a BP thing. If I could just beat the oilyness of my skin when I'm off it I would consider myself 'cured'!

Good luck folks.

Alright I've been using Dan's BP since the first batch he came out with. It has changed a number of times over the years.

Like the OP, I would buy one or two large bottles and they would always last me a year or more. Usually the only reason I even reordered is because my bottles went past the expiration date. I can tell you every time I reordered something changed in the formula.

I still have one of my old bottles. It's the light blue bottle with the dots on it, expiration 8/09. The second ingredient in the formula is propylene glycol. In my new bottle the second ingredient is butylene glycol. I'm not sure why it was changed as the old formula worked great. Some people do question the safety of propylene glycol but it seems like it has a fine safety record when used topically.

Propylene glycol itself seems to have some antibacterial and carrier properties that could enhance the effectiveness of the BP. That could be why the new formula is less effective. There is also the possibility of the butylene causing irritation directly due to personal sensitivity.

Personally I just started using BP again so it is too early for me to say whether this new formula is better or worse. At first impression I can say that it does not go on nearly as well as the old formula.

However the odds of Dan throwing out all of the current stock and going back to the old formula are nil.

If you haven't changed anything in the treatment, why is that there is a different ingredient from the old bottles and the new bottles. The second ingredient listed on the old bottle was propylene glycol and on the new bottles it is now listed as butylene glycol. Obviously, you changed an ingredient.

If anything, the only thing I know about propylene glycol is that it acts as a neurotoxin that many health concerned people wants out of their beauty products and food... yes food. I found it listed on a salad dressing ingredient list. Perhaps, butylene glycol is a way to compensate for such a controversial ingredient and in this case, probably why it may be affecting a small number of people... since the majority are all super smiley and satisfied. If this is the reason, it could be perhaps that you are all sensitive to this new ingredient? Another factor to which is why the bp might not be so friendly to your face, perhaps a chemical imbalance to the sensitive crowds.