Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astrobhoy

Dan's BP - As good as it used to be? Has it Changed?

Ok so I woke up today and my face is probably the worst it has been add to that the DK BP has been making me very red, I think I'm going to go back to using Benzac for a while and then try DK BP again and see if I can determine what is happening.

It seems I'm not the only one experiencing this so I am anxious to see if anyone has been having success with batch #0014 as I hope I am only being paranoid (bough tons of this stuff now and don't wanna have to throw it out!)

I'm using another BP for now too. I've orderd a travel size bottle of Dan's BP to see if it's a different batch number -- customer service couldn't say for sure if it would be because so many are shipped out it's hard to stay on top of batch numbers, which is understandable. I'll be returning the 16 oz botttle batch #0014 because it just irritates my skin to no end and I also kept getting more small whiteheads than ever.

I'll let you know what batch number the travel size one is. I really hope all this trouble doesn't set me back weeks or even months....this is getting me down. I had gone without pimples and just slight redness for weeks and now I'm dealing with scaling and whiteheads again....

...No the interesting thing is this feels a tiny bit thicker, doesnt spread as easily and doesn't have that medical wierd smell.

Even more interesting is it doesn't sting and make me go red like the batch #0014 did....

Sounds like it's older.

If Dan says there's no change, there's no change. Why would a manufacturing company itself make a change without telling the customer? (rheteorical question, I'm not looking for answers) Something like that would make Dan change manufacturers and they'd lose his business.

I'm not in customer service, I don't work for acne.org, I just volunteer-moderate on the boards but finally had to put my bit in here.

So how is it that people are reporting the "older" stuff to work better than the newer stuff?

Because it's more fresh? I'm sorry, that just doesn't make sense.

It maybe just an isolated thing with a few of the bottles from these recent batches but we are not buying the whole "fresh" and newer thing, if anything that stuff should work even better.

Also - You guys have probably seen this sort of thing happen over the years so I am happy to wait it out and see if anything comes up in terms of this latest batch.

Cheers.

So how is it that people are reporting the "older" stuff to work better than the newer stuff?

How does it not make sense? Other long term BP users have stated that older BP is harder to spread, has a lessened smell. It makes perfect sense to me, as that's how other medications in gel/creme form work as well. I am an RN, so yeah, I kinda know. I count maybe four people who complain about the current BP....

PS: I'm not part of 'you guys' as I don't work for acne.org.

How does it not make sense? Other long term BP users have stated that older BP is harder to spread, has a lessened smell. It makes perfect sense to me, as that's how other medications in gel/creme form work as well. I am an RN, so yeah, I kinda know. I count maybe four people who complain about the current BP....

PS: I'm not part of 'you guys' as I don't work for acne.org.

Fair call.

I honestly do hope that I am wrong. I can't stand going back to those expensive tiny subes of Benzac, blah.

After reading through most of this thread and the experiences some of you are having, I thought I'd post mine. I have a batch 9222 exp. 8/11 that caused some of the same problems other posters have listed. I had been on Proactiv (same 2.5% strength bp) for years, and decided to switch to the regimen products. Right away i noticed that the dan's bp had a strange smell, was very thick, and caused extensive redness and burning. I used to be able to pile on the Proactiv bp (in fact, I had been using it to 'start' the regimen, increasing the amount of bp I used), but even the thinnest layer of that stuff really burned my face and made it super dry. I stuck with it for about two months, at which point I threw in the towel--the acne.org bp wasn't working, my skin was continuing to break out, and it was getting progressively worse. At the time I just thought the acne.org bp must be way more irritating than the Proactiv, but since I couldn't afford Proactiv anymore, this was the cause of my abandoning bp completely and seeking other remedies (none of which have worked, btw). I remember wondering why--especially when the regimen calls for applying a large amount of it--the formula had not been made to be gentler.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if it was just the batch I got. I'm not saying that my experience is necessarily related to what is occurring in the batches in this thread, but I did think it was weird that my skin had such a bad reaction to that bottle of bp, when it had never bothered me before. Also I don't really understand the idea of 'fresh' bp being stronger/more irritating/smellier, because the only way the smell, thickness, effectiveness, or any other property could change would be as a result of chemical changes taking place in the mixture. I know bp loses its effectiveness eventually (after the exp date) but are there other chemical changes taking place in this 'fresh' bp that I don't know about?

Another thought...I opened the bottle of acne.org bp the other day to see if it was still good (it expires 8.11, but it's been open a while) and it had a very strong smell that was different from the smell it had initially--this one was like the strong smell of a dentist's office, very chemical/medicinal. Since others have noted a decrease in smell with time, I thought this was strange.

Guest Timehealsall

hello everyone. I am new to the forum and i recently ordered dans regimen in order to see if it works for my acne. I have read through this thread and noticed that there are problems with some of the batches. Does anyone know if batch 0105 has any problems? I have been using proactive and now decided to switch to dans regimen and i recieved my supplies a day ago. I smelled the BP and it does not seem to have a strong smell to it as the proactive BP does. How was dans BP supposed to smell? Mine does not have a heavy smell at all. Also, since i am new, i was wondering if you need to apply BP everywhere on your face? The reason i ask this is because i am literally acne prone only on my cheeks/forehead. Is it fine if i just apply it there? Thanks and i hope these new batches will work for me.. (Being new to the regimen, i hope this is not let me down...) i forgot to menton one thing, has anyone here noticed any problems with DANS cleanser? Or does it still work effectively as the older versions? Thanks

Edited by Timehealsall

I've been on the regimen for nearly 2 years and like many people I have been breaking out from the BP recently as well.

I've been a long time supporter for Acne.org but this is quite disappointing, I can assure you there is literally nothing different I am doing, I looked through the videos and was gentle as possible. But perhaps this i natural and since i live in Arizona where it is really hot, it could be an uncontrollable variable :)

I have Batch 0105 and the exp is 04/12

Hopefully something is solved, whether I figure out it is my fault or whether there is a problem in the formula(even though dan said there was nothing wrong). Either way I am nothing but grateful for the clear skin the regimen has brought me, check my log and see how much my skin has cleared. Just recently I have been getting painful pimples along my jawline.

I had to bold that part so I don't sound like a whiner xD

Edited by Professional

I've been ordering Dan's BP for over 4 years and I've never had a problem with it. I order a new bottle every month, and it comes the same way, everytime. The smell is the same and so is the texture.

What I can say is that when I was a member of these forums back when I first started the regimen some 4 years ago, threads similar to this were around then too. I remember being nervous to buy my first bottle of BP from Dan 4 years ago because people were saying it was a "bad batch", "weird smell", etc, etc.

I'm not pointing fingers or trying to insult anyone, but I think that the BP is the easiest and first thing people blame when they suddenly get a random breakout and/or aren't clearing up like they want to be.

Because of the fact that threads like this were around 4 years ago, and people were complaining about "bad batches" back then too makes me weary to believe it's actually the product rather than individuals regimen habits and daily lifestyles. And as I've said, I order a new bottle every month. I just ordered one about a week and a half ago.

I have been on the regimen for more than 3 months now, and like two or three weeks ago, I started using Dan's B.P.(the batch# is 0014) instead of Neutro.'s Spot treatment. The first time I used Dan's B.P., my face got super red and itchy(just one pumple) which never happen before. I get some redness from Neutro's Spot treatment but not the super redness and itchness. Then i think to myself, yea, maybe it's just that my skin getting use to Dan's B.P., so i keep using it and my skin never really change. After a week or so, the redness and itchness never change (i have been using Neutro's Spot treatment for at least two months so my skin should get use to it?), then i thought maybe it's just that my skin is too dry and i stopped Dan's B.P., then i started using jojobal oil and AHA+, my skin is really soft and moist. now. I started using Dan's B.P. last night again and see how it goes, as now, my skin is a bit redish and itchy, but not as bad as before, we will see how it go....

Well I had two bottles of Dan's BP in my hands -- they definitely without a doubt smelled and felt different. I had been using Spectro 2.5% BP for about 3 months with success, but I wanted to try Dan's because it comes in a bigger size for cheaper, so I tried one travel size bottle of Dan's BP I had gotten free with an AHA order for about 4 weeks with success and just a little redness (I've been using BP for years before this regimen). Then I noticed the bottle was expired about 2 months before, so I switched to a brand new bottle I had ordered and that's when I basically burnt my face -- I stuck with it for about 2 weeks or maybe a bit more but the extreme redness continued and then I started getting small breakouts. Anyway, not a big deal at this point because I switched to Spectro 2.5% BP and things are getting back to normal. Minimal redness and clearing up -- but really the #0014 batch just was soooo irritating to my face and I understand it would be called a "fresh" batch so that should explain it smelling different and irritating more, but still my face couldn't handle it.

I still love this site, love the support everyone gives one another, love the regimen for helping so many people....and especially love jojoba oil :)

Edited by TMB

Guest Timehealsall

wow reading all these posts, it makes me hesitant to use the new batch of Bp that i recieved from Dan!

Woke up today, my face isn't that red, but still damn itchy don't know why. Maybe it's just my face? Cause i tried to apply the B.P. under my jawline and on the back of my arm, and nothing relaly happened....hmmm, I think we need to get our face in a good condition(moist, non-drying, and red free) first and then use Dan's 0014 BP, and see how is gonna go...

Edited by xxxbilly

used BP again today(morning and night) - Super red and itchy, I am switching back to Neutro's Spot treatment(although i don't really like it because it often leaves white residual on my face but it's better than alll those redness and itchness)

I was just about to place my first ever order here for a large batch of the BP.

I think Dan should know that I am not going to do so. There is clearly a problem here, after 7 pages of multiple reports. I am not seeing anyone from acne.org actually addressing the issue, so I will - regrettably - take my business elsewhere. This is one area of my life where I can't take chances.

Sorry, and I write this only to help the people running this site improve their communication and product.

Actually they do respond individually if you write them with a concern -- which I did. They offered advice and also a full refund - the customer service is fabulous.

"I was just about to place my first ever order here for a large batch of the BP.

I think Dan should know that I am not going to do so. There is clearly a problem here, after 7 pages of multiple reports. I am not seeing anyone from acne.org actually addressing the issue, so I will - regrettably - take my business elsewhere. This is one area of my life where I can't take chances.

Sorry, and I write this only to help the people running this site improve their communication and product. "

Well, how unfortunate for you, considering all the other posts that show it works for most people.

I agree --- I did have success with one batch and I'm not against trying another -- I actually ordered another travel size to see if I could get a different batch number. Read the reviews of Dan's BP most are great. I just think something about this one really was too strong for me -- and this is coming from the day before my burn using another batch of Dan's BP in the exact same way.

Anyway, I wouldn't advise not ordering it and trying it for yourself. BUT, other 2.5% BPs work too, so either way the regimen is wonderful.

Hey i posted earlier in this thread since then i have bought another batch of Dans bp which is the batch 0014

The first week it seemed to work better than my previous batch my skin was a little red but hey it was working so i bought a second pump which is also 0014 silly me as shortly after i experienced the same extreme tightness and chemical like burn and it makes my skin so red and uncomfortable the skin eventually peeled off but was still very sore and trying to recover i know that sometimes peeling can be very normal if not expected on the regimen along with redness

But believe me this isn't like normal my skin has never previously become to this extent from using bp and ive been using bp in general for 8 years i have a hard time wanting to go out looking so red

I have an older supply which Has not expired and it does not burn like this and never did from when i first started using it neither did previous bottles i had but that supply is actually less effective for some reason

it would seem for the other supply to be so different from the 0014 batch there has to be some inconsistencies the way it makes my skin feel is like no other

it's dissapointing that it has happened like this

maybe it's working for others? but it sure isn't for me anymore i think maybe some time later this year i will try another batch but thats a maybe

I am now going to try using benzac as my main bp even tho i much prefer Dans bp when it worked for me

i may send back for refund but probably not worth it being from Australia

this isn't a grudge letter or anything just letting know of my experience as i sure would want to know

These Forums are great and Dans Doing a really Great thing i just hope the bp can become what would seem more consistant

thanks

Graham

I am just trying to say that Dan should openly come onto this thread to address the issue. Right now it still seems unresolved. I cannot afford to take chances and have to send things back after my skin breaks out and ruins my life again.

They should be posting something saying:

'We have identified the problem... we have resolved the problem as of x date... we have no more complaints since batch xxx...' This would reassure people. The silence leaves only uncertainty.

Here's the thing, I have batch 0014, as do other people, and we don't have problems. We don't. None. Nada. Zip. I'm sure some people are having a bad reaction to the stuff. Who the hell knows why, though. Maybe it destabilized. Maybe your skin is not handling it well anymore. Maybe you are panicking and causing your own skin problems through stress.

I think, if the batch causes you problems, return it. Return it and start using another kind of BP in the meanwhile, and see if that helps. I fear that all this freaking out over the BP is scaring off people who could greatly benefit from the regimen and using Dan's BP. As mentioned before, I have super sensitive skin that had a bad reaction to a batch over a year ago that turned out to have a skin irritating preservative in it. That batch, by the way, did not irritate everyone's skin, only enough of us legitimately that Dan looked into it. I am not, and again I repeat, I am not having a bad reaction AT ALL to batch 0014. For most of us, skin sensitive or not, we're fine.

Well could be along the same lines, who knows -- we may never know. But 0014 is very irritating to my skin no doubt about it and I'm not talking all kinds of new pimples I'm talking bad burns. Anyway, as I said in my earlier post I would definitely tell people to get Dan's BP - up until now I've had excellent results with it and it goes on wayyy better than other BPs - I've ordered another bottle myself. But I don't need to hear it's something I'm doing because it's not, end of story, it's burning my face, end of story.

So, hope to try a new bottle of Dan's BP and not have the same reaction!

Edited by TMB

I am just trying to say that Dan should openly come onto this thread to address the issue. Right now it still seems unresolved. I cannot afford to take chances and have to send things back after my skin breaks out and ruins my life again.

They should be posting something saying:

'We have identified the problem... we have resolved the problem as of x date... we have no more complaints since batch xxx...' This would reassure people. The silence leaves only uncertainty.

I'm sorry that you are frustrated by the situation, but Dan has already posted on this subject twice. Most people are doing well with the bp, even the batches in question. All batches are tested for quality assurrance, each and every time.

We have hundreds of happy customers, and several of them have even posted in this thread and in other threads that they are doing great with the bp. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with the bp itself, but rather something that may be individual to the user who is having problems.

Please, anyone who is not happy with the bp, write to [email protected] for a refund or exchange. We'll cheerfully replace it for you or give you a refund. We do want you to be happy, but it doesn't appear to be any problem with the benzoyl peroxide itself. The vast majority of our customers are extremely satisfied and not having any problems. That doesn't mean that we don't care about those of you who are having issues, but it does mean that it doesn't appear to be a problem with the product itself.

I hope this helps. :)

Here's the thing, I have batch 0014, as do other people, and we don't have problems. We don't. None. Nada. Zip. I'm sure some people are having a bad reaction to the stuff. Who the hell knows why, though. Maybe it destabilized. Maybe your skin is not handling it well anymore. Maybe you are panicking and causing your own skin problems through stress.

I think, if the batch causes you problems, return it. Return it and start using another kind of BP in the meanwhile, and see if that helps. I fear that all this freaking out over the BP is scaring off people who could greatly benefit from the regimen and using Dan's BP. As mentioned before, I have super sensitive skin that had a bad reaction to a batch over a year ago that turned out to have a skin irritating preservative in it. That batch, by the way, did not irritate everyone's skin, only enough of us legitimately that Dan looked into it. I am not, and again I repeat, I am not having a bad reaction AT ALL to batch 0014. For most of us, skin sensitive or not, we're fine.

I couldn't have said it better. I have been using batch 0014 for about a month now with no problems. I have never had a problem with Dan's BP in the 4 years I've been ordering from him.

I agree that some people, now, will probably not order Dan's BP because of this thread when they could truly benefit from it. Unfortunately, too, now that people have it in their head that Dan's BP might be a "bad batch" everyone who gets a pimple will be blaming the BP instead of something they did themselves to get the breakout. Take into consideration that it's summer now and for most of us, we're sweating more which might cause a breakout and change the texture when applying BP. It could also be the fact that people are storing their BP in extremely hot locations; due to the heat of the summer.

Like I've said before, I belonged to this forum back when I started the regimen under a different screenname, and there were posts back then about "bad batches". I am so glad I didn't listen to them and not order the BP, because I live for that stuff now.

It's a shame that certain people are having problems with the BP, but they don't realize they are scaring regimen users of using it now and possibly turning people away from something that could really help their acne.

In my personal case I'm not getting a pimple and blaming the BP -- I actually had clear skin from Dan's BP, got a new batch and using the same amount, in the same way, the very next day had extremely red skin for a week (or more) and then scaled and peeled. So, then I came onto the forums to see if anyone had a solution and saw that maybe this recent batch I had was either "bad" or just so extremely fresh it was a heck of a lot stronger than the other batch I was using and burnt my face. I then got my face calmed back down with the old batch of Dan's and tried the new batch again with the same results. I'm definitely not trying to scare people -- I said before and I'll say it again, I would definitely recommend Dan's BP and other products and I'm actually trying a new batch I just got yesterday right now, over night, on my forehead to see how I do and using another BP on the rest of my face.

So, I really, really hope, believe me, that everything goes well - I want clear skin again.