Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astrobhoy

Dan's BP - As good as it used to be? Has it Changed?

davey boy

hang with it just now. The other 'off the shelf' stuff is too expensive to consider going down that route. It's my personal opinion that it's the strength of Dan's BP which has weakened. Don't try the panoxyl - it's way too strong. I used it years ago and face looked like a red indian! Also dried up skin too much.

I might try mixing some panoxyl with the BP, increasing the strength a little - and see how that goes though (not that I'd recommend you kids try that at home!!!)

Other than using a much larger amount of BP in an attempt to control things the only change I've made is switching forms of exfoliation. I previously used St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Everyone always gasped in horror when I told them I used it and felt the need to tell me how horrible it was for my skin, so I made the switch to Dan's AHA. My game plan at this point is to switch back to the St. Ives for the next month to see if that doesn't clear things up. Hopefully that works! Otherwise I'm at a loss as it's the only thing that's changed.

Other than using a much larger amount of BP in an attempt to control things the only change I've made is switching forms of exfoliation. I previously used St. Ives Apricot Scrub. Everyone always gasped in horror when I told them I used it and felt the need to tell me how horrible it was for my skin, so I made the switch to Dan's AHA. My game plan at this point is to switch back to the St. Ives for the next month to see if that doesn't clear things up. Hopefully that works! Otherwise I'm at a loss as it's the only thing that's changed.

Are you saying that you've noticed a change in the BP?

davey boy

hang with it just now. The other 'off the shelf' stuff is too expensive to consider going down that route. It's my personal opinion that it's the strength of Dan's BP which has weakened. Don't try the panoxyl - it's way too strong. I used it years ago and face looked like a red indian! Also dried up skin too much.

I might try mixing some panoxyl with the BP, increasing the strength a little - and see how that goes though (not that I'd recommend you kids try that at home!!!)

What strength Panolxyl were you using though astrobhoy? They do 10%, 5% and a 2.5%. I don't know if they always used to do the 2.5%, it might be new(ish).

Astrobhoy-

Yes, I've noticed a change in the BP about a year ago...please see my previous post.

However, both C'est and Dan seem rather convinced that it's not the BP and the issue is something else in my routine that has changed. So, as requested by them, I went through my entire routine and the only thing I've changed is the exfoliation. I will be switching back to my old exfoliation to rule out or in its role.

I'm looking at what other options we have.

Basically, it's either Oxy On The Spot, or Panoxyl. I know that Oxy is good stuff, as I used it to begin with, before Dan's BP came out. It's just to expensive though really, at about £4 a tube that lasts a week.

Panoxyl is about £3 for a tube twice the size, so thats ok price wise. However, reports about it are mixed at best.

Hey Davey, I was having too many pus filled pimples on Dan's Bp so i decided to return. which is a shame cuz i was really hoping this would be the end all for my acne situation. the same day i went to walmart and picked up Panoxyl 5% aquagel and to be honest with u, i was amazed at the results. the pimples i got were drying up. this is my new bp, they didn't have 2.5% concentration so i went with this instead of 10%. I'm so happy i found this stuff and it absorbs really well and doesn't clump. if your looking into changing from Dan's Bp i think you should give it a shot, it may work out for u just as much as it did for me. i love it.

I just received my new BP from DanielKern.com store. I ordered 2 16oz bottles and 1 8oz tube for a friend. Now, here is what I found out.

The tube is batch 9341 as my old bottle I got, its about to run out.

The bottles were a newer batch, it is 0014 with expiration 01/12.

This is just to let you guys know... maybe when you order next time and want to avoid the 9341, you can go with a 16oz this time.

I just received my new BP from DanielKern.com store. I ordered 2 16oz bottles and 1 8oz tube for a friend. Now, here is what I found out.

This is just to let you guys know... maybe when you order next time and want to avoid the 9341, you can go with a 16oz this time.

cool - let us all know how you get on with it, and if you notice any difference at all.

Hi I am new to the forum, but have been on the regimen for 2 and a half years. My skin is completely clear except the occasional pimple thanks to DKR. I have used Neutrogena on the spot for a year and a half, then switched to DK products. Works great and never felt better until recently when I ordered a new batch of DK BP. AT first it wasn't much, just some dry patches, then i started peeling and the doctor diagnosed me with eczema. I thought okay, maybe it's the weather and cut down on the harsh products including AHA, SA and BP. Then each time i tried putting on BP again i would get red itchy spots. Finally needed to revisit the doctor and be subscribed with pills as well as hydrocortisone cream. Thing is this batch of BP feels and smells quite different and I'm positive it's the BP that is causing the reaction/ Now there is no way I am allergic to BP as I've been using it for 2 and a half years. There has been similar problems to certain batches before. Where the concentration of other ingredients gone up and caused an allergic reaction to people with sensitive skin. Gonna switch back to neutrogena on the spot tomorrow. At least I'm glad it's not my skin that's the root of the problems! Let me know if anyone is having the same problems

cool - let us all know how you get on with it, and if you notice any difference at all.

I just got a new Dan's BP last week. It smells different from the old travel size one. I know it is said on the website that the new one may smell thicker. But mine smells thinner? Can Dan give me an explaination? I am afraid to put it on my face.

mine as well

and the new batch is giving me a very bad reaction

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you are having such a problem as well. I ordered a new batch of DKR products in late may and I the BP has a very different smell and slightly different texture to it. I have researched older topics and found that one time there were an increase of certain ingredients that caused the change and some people had allergic reactions to it. My batch is 0014 and expires 01/12. I have been on the regimen for 2 and a half years now. 1st year and a half on Neutrogena on the spot. 2nd year on AHA and DKR BP. Works wonderful for me and I've had clear skin for a long time but recently I've been getting very itchy red blotches on my face whenever i try to go back on BP again. Nothing has changed in my regimen and I've been doing this for over 2 years! Now i tried to use each of my products one by one and see (by that i mean stop them all except my moisturizers) and slowly ease each one back in, and it seems to always trace back to the BP. Now I have been to the doctor twice and been diagnosed with both Hydrocortisone 1% cream and pills for the second time as well. I have been diagnosed with mild ezcema/ dermatitis. I should be switching back to Neutrogena on the spot tomorrow until I get a reply from customer service.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Marco

I'm having the exact same problem. I have that batch too and once I started using it my face has gone back to being red, scaling, and blotchy. I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing this. I wrote to customer service and they said it's probably because the last batch I was using was expired - which is was but by only a month or two - and this stuff is full strength when I was used to using the expired stuff. I don't know if I believe that though, my face was clear and redness free on the other stuff and now I've broken out a little bit and have redness back.

Same here -- I'm having a bad reaction to the new batch (0014). My face is completely red and scaling again when I was over that with the old batch.

I'm having the exact same problem. I have that batch too and once I started using it my face has gone back to being red, scaling, and blotchy. I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing this. I wrote to customer service and they said it's probably because the last batch I was using was expired - which is was but by only a month or two - and this stuff is full strength when I was used to using the expired stuff. I don't know if I believe that though, my face was clear and redness free on the other stuff and now I've broken out a little bit and have redness back.

Hey TMB

the spots you;re getting, are they itchy? if so., they might be just allergic reactions and not pimples. Go see a doctor if it doesn't fade! it really helps. and I guess for now, we should both be on Neutrogena or some alternative.

I would love to know too - because I'm also having problems that I thought were behind me since starting with my new bottle of BP (batch 0014, same as Marco).

I'm going to use something else tonight and through the weekend to see if it helps. Anyone else having problems??

No, they aren't itchy, they're small pimples that would have been gone overnight before this new batch of BP - but I find it's less effective but causes more irritation. I'm going to switch back to the other batch for a few days to see if it helps. If it does I'm going to send this batch back.

I received through the post today a tube of 5% Panoxyl. It's the first time in about 4 years or so that I've considered using any other BP. Dan's BP has unfortunately failed - end of. I can't accept that it '"...is just the same... hasn't changed" because something obviously has.

I've got loads of it left so am going on the hope that it perhaps needs a 'booster' of BP. I used Panoxyl years ago and found it way too strong, so am experimenting now by mixing the 5% panoxyl stuff with each application of Dan's BP. Early days, and today was the first application. The panoxyl is a lot heavier (feel) and if it works I will probably hopefully get it down to just 'nightshift' applications. Will see how it goes and post results.

My skin is really bad just now - no consistency at all and am using more BP than I ever did before to try to resolve it.

Please read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#smells

This most likely explains what's going on.

Marco, how old was the bp you were using before you got your order in May? If you were using expired bp (or bp that was opened and more than 6 months old) it had probably lost its efficacy, and when you got your new tube of bp it is super fresh and potent. What you are experiencing is going through the hardening phase again. It's like starting over as a newcomer to bp. That would be my guess. Although it is entirely possible to develop an allergy to something even if you have used it before without problems.

Brandy,

I order every 2-3 months so I am sure they were not expired

And, i did not break up during that period, if the BP expired I probably would've broken out.

I have switched over to Neutrogena on the spot and my skin is fine again.

Plus, when I first started the regimen i had minimal problems with dry skin as i have quite oily skin.

I had problems with acne but never with dryness/redness/itchiness

Please read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#smells

This most likely explains what's going on.

Marco, how old was the bp you were using before you got your order in May? If you were using expired bp (or bp that was opened and more than 6 months old) it had probably lost its efficacy, and when you got your new tube of bp it is super fresh and potent. What you are experiencing is going through the hardening phase again. It's like starting over as a newcomer to bp. That would be my guess. Although it is entirely possible to develop an allergy to something even if you have used it before without problems.

I'm glad on the spot is working well for you. It appears benzoyl peroxide isn't the issue then. What did your derm say when you saw him? I mean, other than diagnosing the problem as dermatitis, what did he say about using benzoyl peroxide or how to treat your acne since you have been getting dermatitis?

well brandy i have been on the regimen for 2 and half years now so a few days of not using the regimen wasn't a problem for me. But this is the first time i've ever had problems with DKR

I'm glad on the spot is working well for you. It appears benzoyl peroxide isn't the issue then. What did your derm say when you saw him? I mean, other than diagnosing the problem as dermatitis, what did he say about using benzoyl peroxide or how to treat your acne since you have been getting dermatitis?

I've also started to get a few whiteheads the last three days and I haven't had any of those for weeks now -- I'm past month 4 on the regimen. Last night I used my other bottle of BP and my face is looking better. I'm suspicious that it's something with this batch of BP -- although it's irritating it's also not as effective as the other BP. Ingredients seem to be off.

Just wondering if the travel and medium sized BP would be from the same batch as the large BP -- if not I would like to get some of that because I want to continue with Dan's BP, that's what got me clear in the first place.

i just got mine in. same as always. its the best. idk why stores dont sell kinds like his.

yes, it does not smell as strong as the last one I had.

Is your new batch 0014 too?

astroboy, marco, and lvth -- how are you getting along trying other BPs?? I'm especially wondering how lvth is doing because they were just starting to try the 0014 batch.

astroboy, marco, and lvth -- how are you getting along trying other BPs?? I'm especially wondering how lvth is doing because they were just starting to try the 0014 batch.

to be honest TMB the Panoxyl is quite harsh - don't know if too strong, but it leaves your skin feeling very tight, and over-drying. It looks ok and perhaps if used with moisturiser it might be ok - but for evening application I'm using a mix of dan's BP and the panoxyl. Daytime I'll stick to dan's.

Dan's stuff is a lot lighter feeling and even when lots applied is ok - it's just lost it's effectiveness though - which is a major problem.

In my opinion of course :whistle: