Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astrobhoy

Dan's BP - As good as it used to be? Has it Changed?

Have been a user of Dan's BP for a number of years now. I usually buy my treatment BP in bulk as I live in the UK. My last batch probably lasted me around a year or more.

I recently ran out and ordered 3 large 16oz bottles of BP - I had been scraping the bottom of my older tubs just to get by!!

Anyway, I probably started using it on full regime again (had a small bit of a breakout since running low) over 2 weeks ago. First thing I noticed about the new product is the texture and the smell. the smell being a more 'medical' 'anticeptic' type smell which I actually prefer. Secondly, the texture is better as it doesn't appear to clump up as much. Unfortunately that's where the good points end so far.

My skin has really not improved since I've gone back onto it - in fact, has arguably got worse. I could put it down to co-incidence that my skin is going through a bad patch, but before if I had a fairly major breakout, I just stepped up the regime and noticed that my skin would have drastically improved in a week. As I said, have been using it morning and night and still breaking out in spots around my chin area especially. If I used A LOT of the previous stuff in one application, I would feel the active BP very slightly tingling/burning my skin, which would calm down after a few minutes - in a good way though. With this batch of BP and with the same amount that I'm applying, I'm not really getting that same reaction. It's not that I want to feel my skin very lightly, and I do mean 'lightly' - burning; but I'm guessing it possibly shows that the BP was more active in the previous stuff that I've used over the years. (could this be the case?)

I'm going to continue with this as I have no other choice, but if it appears to be the same in another 2 weeks time, then I could be re-considering using the product again.

Has anyone else had similar experience?

The formula hasn't changed in quite some time. The stronger smell and different "feel" may be because you got fresh bp. Please read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#smells

Let's be sure you are doing the Regimen correctly, first thing. http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

and http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

Hi Brandy, having been on the regime now for around 3 years I know generally how my skin reacts to the BP and when it should se results. By this point I should be seeing results - hell, my skin should be perfect with the religious application I've been devoting to it!!!! lol

I do think there has been some change to it.

I understand, but please check out those links. :)

It's very common for long-time regimen users to become slack over time and not realize they aren't doing the Regimen exactly as Dan suggests.

How old was your former batch? When did you last order?

I just got a new Dan's BP last week. It smells different from the old travel size one. I know it is said on the website that the new one may smell thicker. But mine smells thinner? Can Dan give me an explaination? I am afraid to put it on my face.

What do you mean it "smells thinner"? Like, it doesn't smell as strongly as the last one you had?

This is from the FAQs:

Q: My most recent bottle of benzoyl peroxide looks/feels/smells different than the last one. Why is that?

A: We assay every batch and carefully make sure it's uniform. Temperature can change the viscosity of the gel which can affect the way it appears. Also, the newer the batch is, the thicker it tends to be and the stronger the scent will be. It will get thinner over time and the smell will subside.

i just got mine in. same as always. its the best. idk why stores dont sell kinds like his.

yes, it does not smell as strong as the last one I had.

I have to say, I'm quite concerned, as this is exactly how I am feeling about the new BP that I have got too.

I have been using Dan's BP since he first started making it, many years ago, and have loved it. This new batch definitely smells unlike any other I have had before (as I discussed here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Woah-what...P-t267246.html). Whilst I appreciate that different smells can be benign, I am so far finding the gel much less effective in treating acne.

When you use something day in day out for years on end, you get pretty familiar with the effects. I'm noticing things are off with this batch, much in the ways that astrobhoy described. Previously, if I applied BP to a pimple that was starting to show, it would be killed pretty quick. I'm finding this BP is having more of less no effect on pimples.

I will continue to use and monitor. Hopefully we are panicking over nothing, but I am cautious at this point.

I also want to point out that this in no way meant as any form of attack at Dan, as I love his work here and his products. It is just an early warning that there is a *possible* problem.

I have to say, I'm quite concerned, as this is exactly how I am feeling about the new BP that I have got too.

I have been using Dan's BP since he first started making it, many years ago, and have loved it. This new batch definitely smells unlike any other I have had before (as I discussed here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Woah-what...P-t267246.html). Whilst I appreciate that different smells can be benign, I am so far finding the gel much less effective in treating acne.

When you use something day in day out for years on end, you get pretty familiar with the effects. I'm noticing things are off with this batch, much in the ways that astrobhoy described. Previously, if I applied BP to a pimple that was starting to show, it would be killed pretty quick. I'm finding this BP is having more of less no effect on pimples.

I will continue to use and monitor. Hopefully we are panicking over nothing, but I am cautious at this point.

I also want to point out that this in no way meant as any form of attack at Dan, as I love his work here and his products. It is just an early warning that there is a *possible* problem.

Hi Davey,

Hi some ways I'm glad that someone else has corroborated with my suspicions on this. But i'm also really disappointed at the same time too. I know Brandy has posted on this thread, and I'm sure she doesn't mean to be patronising in any way; but this relatively new BP HAS changed - no question about it. I have now been using the new stuff since end of February, and it does NOT have the same effect as previous batches (2006 - 2009). The smell was the obvious big giveaway that it had changed to me and 'I believe' that perhaps at the very least some change has been made to make it smoother and less 'clumpy' when used in conjunction with any other moisturiser (almost as though a silicon has been aded to ingredient)

Either way it's very disappointing to me as I love Dan's product and it had been a revelation in treating my Acne. I now have to apply double, perhaps even triple the amount that I had to before to get anywhere near the same results as before, and at this rate when my current stockpile runs out (could easily be over a year as I bought 5 x 16oz bottles!!!) I think I may well consider coming away from it altogether and trying something else. What a shame.

I hope someone from Dan's team looks into this - and I encourage anyone who has been on Dan's BP for years to post their experience of this 'new batch'.

P.S. - this is not an attack on Dan or his product/business - just some very important customer feedback. By the way, I checked those links, and am doing nothing different to what I had done with my previous bottles.

One last thought - For 14 years I have been using 'The Body Shop's' Tea Tree Liquid soap. Like Dan's BP it was brilliant for my very oily skin. Just recently, they decided to make it a 'New Improved' formula which left more a tingling fresh feeling on the skin. But, at the same time, they also made it far less lather-able, so you couldn't pour onto the hands and create a lot of lather to then wash the face with. The effect - you have to use 3/4 times more soap to get the same wash as before. Deliberate? - Probably.

Edited by astrobhoy

Hi astrobhoy,

I'm deeply hoping this is not a permanent change for the worse in the product, as I rely Dan's BP gel to be acne free, and I loved the previous formula. I don't know where else I would turn; I'm not sure there is another suitable product in the UK. To go back to having to use the 20 g Oxy on the Spot tubes.... agh, I couldn't bear it.

I'm wondering if there is a chance that we have got a dodgy batch, since I'm not seeing many other people piping up about the change in smell? It seems you have the same batch as me, and the smell of this is way different to any previous batches, isn't it? The antiseptic smell hits you hard, and I've never noticed anything like that in Dan's BP before.

I only ordered 4 x 8 oz luckily, so I'm not quite as committed to this batch as you. I'm going to keep using it and hope for the best. I also do not get the tingling and tightening sensation from the usual BP though, and it simply doesn't seem to be nearly as effective. I don't think I could bear to double or triple the amount I put on - I already use a lot!

By the way, what is your batch number? It in on the bottle (probably the bottom), as an 8 digit code. The last 4 numbers are the expiry date. Mine is 9341, expires 12 11 (December 2011).

Cheers,

DB.

Edited by Davey Boy

well i just bouth dans bp and it does have a weird smell..and not seeing much improvement in my acne

acnevsme - how long have you been using the BP gel for?

What is you regimen history?

well first i started the regimen a month ago using neutrogina on the spot with good result and as soon as i started using dans bp ...i brokeout...and im still seeing no improvment after 1 week ...i really hope this works because if it doesnt im fucked for life

Sorry to hear that. Could you please post your batch number, and expiration date? If you have a bottle, it should be on the bottom, or if you have a tube, it's on the back of the crimp (at the top of the tube).

Edited by Davey Boy

Sorry to hear that. Could you please post your batch number, and expiration date? If you have a bottle, it should be on the bottom, or if you have a tube, it's on the back of the crimp (at the top of the tube).

i got to wait like an hour because all my family members are downstairs and i dont want them to see me but when i get it ill make sure to messege you and give it to you ......why the question tho

It could help us to determine whether there is a "dodgy" batch, or if some of us just don't take to the new recipe as well.

It could help us to determine whether there is a "dodgy" batch, or if some of us just don't take to the new recipe as well.

what do you mean by a dogy batch.....and i thougt brandy said that the recepi was never changed...and i read on the facts page ...that sometimes the feeling the smell and the package feel different because of the temperature....may i ask where do you live//

I live in England.

There have been changes to the BP gel over the years. Subtle ones, but they have affected people. I remember being effected by the changes near the end of 2005, which are documented in this this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Dan-BP-Ge...BLE-t75009.html

I had red, and slightly sore skin from that batch.

The smell could mean nothing at all, I am just suspicious as I have been on the regimen for a long time, and have never had any BP from Dan that smelt anything like this.

What I mean by a dodgy batch is, a number of tubes or bottles that contain some "rouge" BP, that hasn't met the manufacturing standards. It is always possible that something can go wrong during a manufacturing process to result in faulty end products. It is terribly unlikely, and I believe there is quality control in Dan's BP, but it is still possible.

Hi Davey,

well my batch is also 9341, but maybe that's a regular number on it?!!! I bought mine and had it delivered to me when I was in New York recently (I live in Scotland).

I couldn't agree with you more Davey in everything your saying. The smell doesn't really bother me about it - in fact when I first put it on I kind of liked it (my wife always hated the smell of the older stuff, and was a bit of a passion killer if you know what I mean!! ;-) )

Like you Davey, I used to take a good generous 'finger length' of BP and that would be enough. This time I'm finding that about 3/4 pumps of the stuff is needed and that's waaaay more than I ever used before. If I ever used that amount on my face before, then my skin would have been like a red indian! But even now if I use a lot of it and I do mean 'a lot' I'm not getting anywhere near that tingling/very mild burning sensation that I used to get and knew that it was working.

If any of Dan's people are reading this thread I'd really appreciate it if they could let us know what's happened with it. I'll probably contact them if we don't hear anything.

fingers crossed!

Guys, I have to agree. the smell is quite different, though this is only my second 16oz bottle on the regimen and I break out more frequently now. batch: 9341 EXP: 12 11.

Guys, I have to agree. the smell is quite different, though this is only my second 16oz bottle on the regimen and I break out more frequently now. batch: 9341 EXP: 12 11.

Thanks for posting Lvth - any others out there getting the same?

Hi Davey,

well my batch is also 9341, but maybe that's a regular number on it?!!! I bought mine and had it delivered to me when I was in New York recently (I live in Scotland).

I couldn't agree with you more Davey in everything your saying. The smell doesn't really bother me about it - in fact when I first put it on I kind of liked it (my wife always hated the smell of the older stuff, and was a bit of a passion killer if you know what I mean!! ;-) )

Like you Davey, I used to take a good generous 'finger length' of BP and that would be enough. This time I'm finding that about 3/4 pumps of the stuff is needed and that's waaaay more than I ever used before. If I ever used that amount on my face before, then my skin would have been like a red indian! But even now if I use a lot of it and I do mean 'a lot' I'm not getting anywhere near that tingling/very mild burning sensation that I used to get and knew that it was working.

If any of Dan's people are reading this thread I'd really appreciate it if they could let us know what's happened with it. I'll probably contact them if we don't hear anything.

fingers crossed!

astrobhoy,

9341 is definitely the batch number, and not just a generic number. This is proven here, in one of Dan's images:

http://www.acne.org/images/expirationdate.jpg

3 or 4 pumps you say? Blimey, that is a lot. I used to use 2 of the last stuff to keep me clear. I really am starting to think there is something up with this batch, and now Lvth (thanks for responding) has the same batch and the same problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so could you please post your batch number?

Edited by Davey Boy