Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
horrie_philleid

10mg of accutane per day

hiii guys

when i was thinking about going on accutane i kept reading forums from this website so i decided that now i was on it i would join and post about my experience...

im a 22yo female from aus... i've experienced mild/moderate acne since I was about fifteen, not cystic but very persistant, plus loads of blackheads. but over the past couple of months i started to get really bad cystic acne, in clumps that would take forever to heal and then inevitably lead to a whole new bunch coming up near in the initial affected area.

anyway, i got started on a low dose (10-20mg per day) of accutane last week. i wanted to hear from anyone who was in the same boat? so far, im on day 7. my skin has only today started feeling pretty dry (although i have a super sensitive skin, so i was expecting this) and my lips are chapped as (but im using lucas paw paw cream which is amazing) no IB yet and strangely enough a lot of the tiny bumps caused from blackheads across my face seem to have disappeared. no other improvement as yet.

anyway please let me know if you're doing the same as me, i would love some advice on what to expect! :doh:

Hey!

Welcome to acne.org!

For advice on Accutane, read this: Advice and FAQ

You might want to check out Accutane logs (link here: Accutane Logs ) and maybe you might want to start yours. A link to my log can be found down there ↓

I took my first Accutane pills on Tuesday 16th, 2010. My dose was kinda weird, the Derm gave me 40mg to take once a day for 5 days a week. So if you do the math its basically 30 mg a day. I might ask him to let me take it on a full 7 days a week because 5 days a week is weird.....

Anyw, we are on the same boat and started basically at the same time so lets keep in touch and see how it goes.

I might not get so Dry (hand crossed) because my face is SUPER DUPER INSANELY OILY......

Acne wasn't a big issue, what had made me took Accutane was the OIL.....

Take Care

I am also going on low dose accutane. I am 48 and still have acne. Did anyone experience a breakout in the beginning weeks while of accutane. Can the Derm give you anitboitics like keflex to help with the initial breakout?

I am also going on low dose accutane. I am 48 and still have acne. Did anyone experience a breakout in the beginning weeks while of accutane. Can the Derm give you anitboitics like keflex to help with the initial breakout?

I think most people experience initial breakouts with Accutane. I did. Antibiotics definitely help with it. You just can't use tetracycline antibioitics (like minocycline, doxycycline, etc.) because they tend to increase pressure on the brain when used in combination with Accutane.

Something like Bactrim DS works well. I took 10 days of Bactrim DS along with the Accutane, and while I was taking it, I looked pretty clear. You just can't take that stuff forever.

Hey OP,

I'm on my third course of accutane. I started on 10mg/day too, and now I take about 13mg/day (I take a 20mg pill for 2 days, and then take a day off, repeat). My mild-moderate acne has cleared within the period of ~40days.

Good luck to you, keep us updated :)

EDIT:

I had no IB whatsoever (I did with my last two accutane experiences though, but they were high dose).

I have dry skin on my face, and dry lips.

No sun sensitivity from what I can tell.

Edited by rw000

I have been on accutane many times through my 20's and 30's. I remember the first time I was on accutane, this was back in the 80's, the doctors were so scared to prescribe it back then. The doctor started me on 10mg. and I did not have an initial breakout. Over the years I would have to go back on accutane from time to time and when the doctors started me off with 40mg. I always had such bad skin for two weeks. Then clear as day until I would stop the treatment after the 5 months and my skin returned to it's bad self. So I am hoping I don't have the initial breakout with 10mg. which I am going to take starting in April. I am going to request the antibiotics such as keflex or bactrim to help my skin stay clear. Thanks for the advice about the antibiotics and which ones to take.

Edited by rosieposie