Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SurferGirl656

If you could go back to when you very first got acne, what would you do?

Nothing. When I first started to get acne, nothing in my life changed. I was still happy, had alot of friends, and enjoyed life. It's only after I moved and my acne got worse that I've become so obsessed with it :/

I would take better care of my skin, proactive is evil! I'd use cetaphil gentle cleanser and moisturizer. I think alot of my problems stem from raping my skin with products in the past :wall:

I used to scrub hell out of my face with a rough flannel to try and make the zits go away, I certainly wouldn't have done that if I knew then what I know now....

Taken accutane a couple years earlier. And I probably would barely have any marks. Of course, it would have worn off a couple years earlier as well, so I may have gotten it back for a while.

I go back and say fuck it, live life and enjoy being 16 and not use that as an excuse.

Is it frustrating to have acne? Yes, but those were the good times, when that was a big problem for me. now years later, after I have forgotten what its like to have bad acne, i have other things that are tough on me, bigger problems, new pressures and responsibilities etc...

I thought acne was terrible back then, and now years later I just have more responsibilities that come wth added challenges etc..

I would have goe back, and told myself its just a phase and will go away in a few years... relax.

I'd leave it .... when it started it was never very bad, I think I made it what it is today.

My acne is hormone related (I think) - I never really started my periods because I was doing silly things like starving myself and then bingeing making my hormones go crazy and all over the place.

I'd eat better and healthily, make sure I drank enough water. I would use gentle washes and moisturizers instead of all the harsh crap which made it worse. I wouldn't of gone to my doc and I would never go on the pill. Make-up wise I would of used a kind light foundation.

Lastly I would of waited it out. If I looked after myself I think I would of grew out of acne and by now my hormones would be balanced and I may even be having periods!

When I first got acne back in June 09. I wouldve just left it alone, and then when school started in August/September I just left it alone completely and my skin was good, I had few pimples on my jawline but it was so mild that I could say I was clear. Then in November I started using harsh products and I think I made my acne to what it is today. Now my acne can be classified as moderately severe if not severe. I would've just left it alone and used gentle washes. :/ but what can you do, I think everything happens for a reason, so I hope this was for the better.

Id pay attention to my skin... when i didn't have acne i would just look at my hair my nose my birthmark or any other body part in front of the mirror, i would look everywhere except my skin. and my skin was so soft and clear, people used to admire my cheeks and they asked if i had silicon in them (im a guy btw)... those were the glory days, and im determined to get them back. now my skin is the only thing i see... a good thing about acne is you learn to appreciate your other flaws... :/

I would take better care of my skin, proactive is evil! I'd use cetaphil gentle cleanser and moisturizer. I think alot of my problems stem from raping my skin with products in the past :wall:

Lol. Proactiv does wonder for me. I use it twice a day. It took a while to get used to.

Edited by EddieE

My diet would have been FLAWLESS. Also like RealTalk, would have gone to a dermatologist at at the first sign, instead of waiting for years. Now that I think about it I'd always kept a relatively healthy diet, but one when I strayed from it the most when I broke out the worst, and now it's proving to be very difficult to clear up.

I would have gone to my doctor straight away.

But I was young, and was too embarassed to go because I thought acne wasn't considered an 'important enough problem.'

So I bought proactiv instead, which did absolutely NOTHING (and how could it, after 3 years of researching acne treatments I know very well that a "dime-sized amount" of 2.5% BP will do jack). Proactiv also kept telling me how acne treatments take 3+ months to show improvement. -_-

After about 4 months of proactiv, I finally went to my doctor. He gave me a standard 5% BP cream and my acne cleared up in about a week.

But I was left with tons and tons of red marks. Sigh.

To be honest I have no clue, I can't even remember when I first got acne. At that time I was still young and really didn't care what people thought of me, but now that I'm older acne is suddenly a very important issue.

Hmm... I have to say that it would be to not shut myself off from all my friends out of embarrassment and become a recluse. But, I can't change the past so I don't like thinking about what I could or should have done...

:( i would have went to see the dermo STRAIGHT AWAY. instead of leaving it and trying all thse OTC products which stuffed me up further.

Well, I was in third grade the day I got my very first pimple. A few days before picture day. On the top of my nose. It was a tiny white head that I could have popped, but it grew wayyyyyy bigger and all the kids told me it was a wart. Then I started getting pimples more regularly 4th-5th grade and here I am, graduating high school in June. 8 years... :dry:

I would have told my mom to take me to the doctor, I wouldn't have used my mom's old makeup that was a completely different color than my skin, I wouldn't have used rubbing alcohol on my pimples. I wouldn't have listened to my mom, who said and still says that I'll grow out of it. Well maybe, but there are countless adults on this website with acne, and I won't be like that. I'm going to research the products I use, not blindly believe everything that my doctor (who's go-to product is Proactiv) tells me like my friends do, be patient, and not let my acne hinder me.

I would be wise to the seductive lies, and harsh realities of the over-the-counter-culture.

I used to wash my face with standard, fairly-cheap, heavily-scented shower gel which would leave my face so dry that i literally could not open my mouth wide enough to eat.. and i thought this was good! ("no oil = no spots")

aahh.. what a nobhead.

Seriously, I would've gone straight to the derm. Instead, it took years and years of picking and scarring my face before I finally went to the derm. And now I'm clear...but with tons and tons of red reminders all over my face. If I just went after that first giant cyst of a pimple, I would probably be sitting here with a nice even-toned face. Sad :(