Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So i have been on the regimen for a little over 4 months. And i am still having problems with flaking and dryness. I tried switching my cleanser to olay sensitive skin which helped a bit, but problem still remains. I also have been using AHA and jojoba oil with moisturizer twice to three times a week. And still nothing.

I have also tried the jojoba oil method for flakiness and it helped but the problem just reappeared. So is there any other type of exfoliant like a scrub i can that would be gentle enough.

Exfoliating scrubs that contain bits of ground up apricot or peach pits (or anything similar) aren't the greatest for acne-prone skin. The granules in them actually have sharp, jagged edges which can cause micro-tears in your skin, which are not only irritating (and irritation can lead to breakouts), but make an excellent entry point for bacteria.

A better option would be to find one that has smooth, silica beads in it. These beads are just as good at helping to loosen up dry, dead skin, but because they're smooth, they're gentler on your skin. You could look into the baby brush method, too.

Not really, since I don't actually use an exfoliant. I just go over my face very gently with a washcloth at the end of my showers, after my skin has had a chance to get all softened up, and that seems to be enough for me.

Other people seem to like the baby brush method and/or exfoliating with jojoba oil (I use the jojoba oil method once or twice a week, too).

If you decide to buy an exfoliant, look for something that's non-medicated. A lot of exfoliants out there have Salicylic Acid in them, which can be irritating when used in conjunction with BP.

Thanks c'est la vigne for the advice. Ill probably try the washcloth thing for a bit, since i won't have to add any disturbing ingredients. And i looked thru several scrubs and the majority had SA. I may do the baby brush.

If you try the baby brush method, let me know how it works out for you. I've always been a little curious.

For the washcloth thing, just be sure to be very gentle. Only use a wee bit more pressure than you do when you're applying your BP--no scrubbing! I use the washcloth to gently buff my skin in a circular motion, and that (along with moisturizer and a bit of jojoba oil) is enough to keep me flake free. : )

I love exfoliating with sea salt. Get some sea salt and put about 2-3 tbsp on your palm and gently rub over your wet face. Seems to work better than wash clothes for me. I also think they prevent acne as well.

Thanks both of you.

And ill make sure to update you if i use baby brush method. I looked at it along time ago and wanted to try that, so maybe ill research it again.

And thanks about the sea salt advice. Ill have to look into that too.

For now until i go to the store im gonna try the washcloth.

Thanks both of you.

And ill make sure to update you if i use baby brush method. I looked at it along time ago and wanted to try that, so maybe ill research it again.

And thanks about the sea salt advice. Ill have to look into that too.

For now until i go to the store im gonna try the washcloth.

Definitely let me know how the Baby Brush works, I've been dying to see if it does anything! :)