Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tree23

'tane and spiro and antib's oh my!

I'm asking about accutane here because I want to hear from people with hormonal acne/ cheek and jawline acne.

I know the major thing talked about in these parts is spiro, and for those of you who have had spiro work for you but previously tried accutane, did the accutane work for you? temporarily?

I guess my questions is just - does accutane work for the hormonal, deep stubborn jaw and chin acne? Or is that mainly for people who break out all over?

Also, does accutane make sensitive skin even more sensitive?

I think I'm fishing around for reasons why accutane is the wrong choice for me, so I can defend myself if my derm wants me to try that instead of spiro. I asked my pharmacist if he thought spiro would be ok with my other meds, and he said yes but he thinks a derm would more likely have me try accutane before trying spiro. Would that be as bad as I'm making it? I wouldn't mind trying accutane if it could work for me, I just have it in my head that accutane is for really bad all-over-your-face acne. I have really bad bottom-half-o-face acne, that is so much more stubborn than the acne of my early teenage years.

1 more q: how many people tried taking an antibiotic for just a few weeks at the time they started spiro, to reduce an IB? does that make any sense?

I'm asking about accutane here because I want to hear from people with hormonal acne/ cheek and jawline acne.

I know the major thing talked about in these parts is spiro, and for those of you who have had spiro work for you but previously tried accutane, did the accutane work for you? temporarily?

I guess my questions is just - does accutane work for the hormonal, deep stubborn jaw and chin acne? Or is that mainly for people who break out all over?

Also, does accutane make sensitive skin even more sensitive?

I think I'm fishing around for reasons why accutane is the wrong choice for me, so I can defend myself if my derm wants me to try that instead of spiro. I asked my pharmacist if he thought spiro would be ok with my other meds, and he said yes but he thinks a derm would more likely have me try accutane before trying spiro. Would that be as bad as I'm making it? I wouldn't mind trying accutane if it could work for me, I just have it in my head that accutane is for really bad all-over-your-face acne. I have really bad bottom-half-o-face acne, that is so much more stubborn than the acne of my early teenage years.

1 more q: how many people tried taking an antibiotic for just a few weeks at the time they started spiro, to reduce an IB? does that make any sense?

My daughter's derm put her on accutane and wouldn't hear of spiro. It was such a tragic decision for her. Yes, her sensitive skin got more sensitive and the massive IB caused scarring. Then she went off her hormonal control a while back and that caused more scarring. sigh...I visit the scar forums some now too. I also think that an antibiotic can be helpful for the initial stages, however, some people never get an IB. When DD took Yasmin (before Yaz) and spiro, her skin started to change for the better immediately. It took longer the second time around it seems - also she took Yaz the 2nd time. I have also read that you can take low dose spiro with accutane and that can lessen the IB. That would have been good for my daughter...

Heres an update on myself:

I want to the derm Monday. I was dead set on spiro, but she insisted that I take an antibiotic first. She prescribed doryx, a new face wash (glytone cream cleanser), and this retin-a/clindamycin combo stuff called xenia? or zenia? something like that. I think this seems like a little much considering what super duper sensitive skin I have.

I told her I absolutely don't want to be on this antibiotic for long, as I lived with severe abdominal pains for over a year before I found out it was a yeast/bacteria problem. It is completely solved now, I have no pain whatsoever, and I take probiotics regularly (though not every single day).

She said to make an appointment for 4 weeks away, and when I go back she will give me spiro. I'm not sure what shes thinking with the doxy, if I will just take it for a month and then switch to spiro, or continue with the doxy for a few months and wean off once I've been on spiro.

I'm also not sure about the cleanser and face cream. I wanted spiro so I could use minimal topicals. Everything makes me red, and she have my a glycolic acid cleanser because I can't use benzoyl peroxide. I do want a topical retinoid temporarily to fade some PIH, but I won't continue with it once thats gone. The redness isn't worth it.

I guess I will follow her prescribed regimen exactly until I go back... and go from there!

boston 50 - I'm sorry to hear all that about your daughter! Some derms just make it to doctorhood without really understanding acne and all the medications and things that go along with it.. :/

I'm a little confused by your post, do you mean that she is on spiro now and its working? I too am on yaz, never tried yasmin. It has only been about 3 months since i started yaz, and I can't tell if it made any difference. Some days are better than others, and I've done soo many different things lately (diet changes, exercise, herbal teas, masks) I have no idea what to attribute the 'better' days to.

boston 50 - I'm sorry to hear all that about your daughter! Some derms just make it to doctorhood without really understanding acne and all the medications and things that go along with it.. :/

I'm a little confused by your post, do you mean that she is on spiro now and its working? I too am on yaz, never tried yasmin. It has only been about 3 months since i started yaz, and I can't tell if it made any difference. Some days are better than others, and I've done soo many different things lately (diet changes, exercise, herbal teas, masks) I have no idea what to attribute the 'better' days to.

Yes, she is on Yaz and spiro now and it's working :)