Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

I need some guidance from those experienced with vitamin b5. My acne began when I was about 15, and I quickly saw a dermatologist who put me on a number of topicals. The acne cleared to an acceptable degree, but was never really gone. In 2001 went away to college and began becoming interested in weight lifting, and it was on the bodybuilding forums where I first came across B5. (around 2003) So I decided to give it a shot, mega dosing. It wasn't long before my acne was completely clear (dont remember how long it took but was not long). After a couple months I dropped my dose to maintenance, where I continued to a very small degree (maybe two grams a day) until about 2005. It was around that time I figured I didn't need it anymore, and completely stopped taking it. I was fine until summer of 2009. What started as a couple small zits on my forehead eventually progressed into a full blown breakout which persists to this day. After being in denial, trying to convince myself acne simply didn't happen to me anymore, I finally decided to use a few OTC meds, (which subsequently made it worse). I then decided screw it, gonna go back to the big guns (B5). In mid Jan 2010 I started taking 20 pills a day. The first week I started to see a small difference, however it then became worse (small zits appeared everywhere). Again, I figured it was initial breakout, however it persisted. Starting last week I decided to switch to powder (I've read pills can lose effectiveness over time, whatever). Still no improvement. I actually think my acne is worse now then ever. Also during my newest B5 experimentation I began taking b complex and biotin (which I never took during my previous experimentations) and it absolutely positively made it worse. (the small zits turned into massive lesions), so since that time I have just been taking the b5 alone. My question is this. I am now on week 2 of the powder alone, and am wondering how much longer I should give this. I am also wondering why the heck B5 is no longer effective? This is incredibly frustrating. My lifestyle now is far healthier in all respects then my college lifestyle, however my acne is TERRIBLE. Any information/input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Have you tried cutting out dairy and citrus? Those tend to be the most common triggers for acne.

Next comes gluten. Try cutting those out for 1 month.

As for why it doesn't work now, I don't know. However I did read the whole 100 page thread on b5 and there were alot of people who took b5, cleared up, stopped taking it, tried to take it again and it just didn't work. It seems the main rule is 3 months. That's how long I'd give it, but it's very possible that your body has built a resistance to it and it will not work like it did before.

As for why it doesn't work now, I don't know. However I did read the whole 100 page thread on b5 and there were alot of people who took b5, cleared up, stopped taking it, tried to take it again and it just didn't work. It seems the main rule is 3 months. That's how long I'd give it, but it's very possible that your body has built a resistance to it and it will not work like it did before.

hey man,

I've read the same kind of posts, and that's what I'm afraid of. In all of my previous experiences whenever I upped the dose, I saw results almost immediately (although never during these experiences did I ever completely stop before 2005). My biggest fear and seeing it out to 3 months and having my skin ravaged worse than ever, and losing that time where I could be trying something else. I may just set a date (end of April) and give it til then...

Well either way keep us/me updated if you don't mind. I'm seriously considering getting b5 very soon but still wanna hear more experiences first.

Well either way keep us/me updated if you don't mind. I'm seriously considering getting b5 very soon but still wanna hear more experiences first.

Absolutely...the only reason I'm sticking it out this long is last week when I dropped the bcomplex and have just been taking powder, I have noticed a reduction in oil. whether this is merely wishful thinking or concrete progress is yet to be seen...I'll give it a bit more time...