Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uncle buck

Kangaroo Meat

I've just found out my supermarket sells this, going to buy some for dinner tomorrow. Sounds delicious and nutritious, with none of the garbage in most other modern meat.

They're slaughtering kangaroos now? Next it will be koalas and pandas.

Edited by Dotty1

Now that would be something!

They're slaughtering kangaroos now? Next it will be koalas and pandas.
Edited by uncle buck

That is very true that it is much more humane than the factory farming methods.

I don't see why factory farms can't use a bullet to the brain instead of hanging the animal upside down for then minutes and then cutting their throats so they can't breath for another 4 minutes or cutting their throats incorrectly so that they endure the skinning process as one third of them do.

Edited by Dotty1

I did have a kangaroo steak once. I think I had it with oven chips.... but I do remember it was extremely tasty :)

I tried it once, didn't enjoy it.

Because it is so tough it must be easen very rare, almost raw.

cooking it well will turn it into a piece of leather.

So unless you enjoy tough meat swimming in blood, Id give it a miss and get a nice big steak instead, yummm!

Kangaroo are the deer of Australia. And no, koalas and pandas won't be next.

Also, usually you want to stew or use some long slow cooking method with lean wild animals like this. You wouldn't cook it like a beef steak.

Edited by alternativista

Also, usually you want to stew or use some long slow cooking method with lean wild animals like this. You wouldn't cook it like a beef steak.

I disagree I eat fillet steak, venison and kangaroo all grilled until rare even bleu and the taste is amazing. Only stew it if you dont like blood. Which by the way is stupid because your eating an animal with blood anyway whats the difference

I disagree I eat fillet steak, venison and kangaroo all grilled until rare even bleu and the taste is amazing. Only stew it if you dont like blood. Which by the way is stupid because your eating an animal with blood anyway whats the difference

Well, yeah, if you want it rare. I was responding to the prior poster there who didn't.

Kangaroo meat? Well, I've never been to Australia so I have no idea. If it's as tough as everyone says it is, I doubt I'd like it.

I hate rare meat and am not a fan of steak (or beef for that matter) to begin with. My meat of choice is fish or turkey. I love salmon and tilapia.

Adam, there's a big difference in eating something rare and well done regarding taste and texture. When blood is cooked out of the meat, it has a less irony flavor.

Dotty, we slaughter cows, chickens, pigs, turkeys and so on. What difference does it make to kill a kangaroo? It's like people being offended that some cultures eat dog.

alternavista, if kangaroo is like the deer of Australia, then I'm glad they at least package it and serve it in stores instead of doing it purely for sport. Eating what you hunt is fine, but I hate the concept of hunting for sport. There's nothing more disgusting than being proud of killing for the sake of killing.

didn't try kangaroo on our recent trip to queensland, but did eat a croc burger.

A crocodile burger?

I'm always so fascinated to learn what other countries eat. I never would fathom eating a crocodile! Interesting

Dotty, we slaughter cows, chickens, pigs, turkeys and so on. What difference does it make to kill a kangaroo? It's like people being offended that some cultures eat dog.

I know we kill everything that has four legs. ;) And sometimes two legs, too. But for some reason, I thought kangaroos would not be eaten over there. But that was just naive of me.

Edited by Dotty1

I know we kill everything that has four legs. ;) And sometimes two legs, too. But for some reason, I thought kangaroos would not be eaten over there. But that was just naive of me.

Yeah. I never imagined kangaroos as being food, either, but I like learning about different cultures and hearing this makes me want to learn more about Australia. Ducks, chickens and turkey only have 2 legs, for the record. XP Haha, but yeah, I know what you mean.