Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inty

Flakeyness, open pores, redness

Suffered from it for years. When i get out of the shower or whatever my skin will be flakey. When i wake up in the morning my skin feels tight and takes a while for the feeling to go away.

I haven't used any products on my face for a long time. When i switched to just using water, my acne cleared up and now i rarely get it. Now it's just loads of highly visible open pores and my nose and a few surrounding. Flakeyness that i'll get anywhere on my face. Redness, sensitive skin.

'cause i haven't used any product on my face for so long i'm a little scared to start just incase i breakout/the situation gets worse. Do i exfoiliate for the flakey skin when i'm in the shower or will that make redness worse? Do i just start using a gentle facefash that won't make me worse before it gets better? Do i just carry on with water but use a moisturtiser? A combination of 2 or all 3?

Either way. It's time i do something about it. I've ignored it hoping it'd go away for so long and it hasn't.

Is the flakyness all over or just a particular region..maybe you could try some natural remedies before giving into the harsh chemicals

Exfoliating could irritate your skin, and some cleansers might make it dryer, but moisturizing should help.

If you do decide to use products to help combat the issues you're dealing with, be sure to add them in one at a time, so that you can see how your skin responds to each product you try. Perhaps start with a moisturizer, and then just stick with that for a few weeks to see how it goes.

Hmm. Can you suggest some of these natural remedies that might be good?

Also...what moisturiser do you think will be good?

I use Cetaphil, and adore it. It takes care of any dryness and flakiness I have wonderfully. CeraVe and Complex 15 are also popular moisturizers.

As for the redness, adding a few drops of extra virgin olive oil to the moisturizer before you apply it could help, but olive oil is comedogenic for some people, so I do recommend spot-testing it on an inconspicuous area on your face for a couple of weeks before all-over use, just to make sure that it won't break you out.

i am in the same boat, i used isotrertinoin 40 mg for one month this feb and was left with blackheads all over my nose..(no iso i dont blame you!) i had been though already been suffering from redness flakiness and all that, but now that i check out the blackheads on my nose i try to somtime and just somtime rub them off very very gently and end up getting flakes n my fingers,just very tiny flakes in the number of two or three .....i had microdermabrasion coupled with kojic and glycolic acid peel last year and received huge flakiness afterwards where some part of my face(2 cm square area over my right cheeck) has not yet recovered from the scarring caused by those procedures even after one year.

now i wonder if these flakes would give me scar everytime i see them on my fingertips no matter how gentle i have been with them even if i just touch my skin and see them there i always am thinking that i am scarring :rolleyes: can anybody tell if i would scar with them or not.

Edited by jaysjay

I have the exact same problem. I just washed my face with water for a while. I still felt dry and flaky after but it wasn't as bad as using a cleanser. I broke out less and was less red. I've been trying Emu Oil for the past few weeks with an oatmeal cleanser I got from the health food store. I'm trying to avoid all products that are petroleum based.

I slather the emu oil on my face before bed and my complexion is nice in the morning. But when when I wash it gets irritated again.

I tried Accutane for a few months. It was working really well but I couldn't stand the dry eye side effect. It felt like I had completely stopped making tears and no amount of eye drops helped.

I've been reading about skin disorders, vitamin deficiencies and absorption. Accutane is in a sense Vitamin A. I also have a tendency to have dry skin all over as well as dry lips. I've found that deficiencies in Vitamin A, B, C and Zinc can cause issues. So I was going to try a bland diet, vitamin supplements and goat's milk kefir (a type of yogurt). (Probiotics/Intestinal flora can have an affect on vitamin absorption) I'm convinced that most things can be controlled naturally. ... since my new insurance pretty much denies all acne/rosacea treatments I'm going to be hopeful that this is true!!!

I actually had good results when I was taking A supplements (Cod liver oil and Beta-Carotene) with zinc and using emu oil at night.... my pore size was reduced, significant reduction in oil production, and significant reduction in redness and flakes. Though I would wake up feeling beautiful... I've not found a day time moisturizer... the emu oil shine isn't very attractive...

...a short vacation ruined my routine and ate a bunch of junk food! :( ...but I'm going to try out a natural system and see if I can get rid of it entirely! I could be full of rubbish! :) ... but I've got nothing to loose!