Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ClaraLoassa

Aren't all products the same?

What is it that makes Dan's BP better than others in the store? Wouldn't all 2.5% BP lotions pretty much be the same?

And cleansers too...if there are two products, both salicylic acid cleansers with the same concentration, is it safe to assume they'll work in the same way on your skin?

Just ask because I used Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and it broke my skin out like crazy. It took almost 2 weeks to get my skin back to normal. however, I've been hearing good things about "Biore Ice Cleanser" which is also an SA wash, same ingredient, so would it affect me the same way?

Short answer? No, they're not all the same. Just because a product's active ingredient is the same as another product's doesn't mean that all the rest of the ingredients and the formulation of the products are the same.

A lot of people do use other 2.5% BPs for The Regimen, and oftentimes, it's just fine and dandy. People do tend to prefer Dan's BP, though, because he specifically made it in a bigger size (so it's more cost effective), and he formulated it with The Regimen in mind, so he tried to keep it as basic and non-irritating as possible.

As for your cleansers, it may have been one of the inert ingredients in the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash that your skin didn't agree with. But since Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and Bioré Ice Cleanser are both Salicylic Acid cleansers with different ingredients and formulations, maybe your skin will respond differently to the Bioré cleanser.

So just keep in mind that just because various products may have the same active ingredients does not mean that they're the same, that they'll work the same, or that your body will respond to them in the same way.