Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chocobot

My acne seems to be going away since I stopped eating pasta.

I think you would get less acne if you didn't eat dairy with your pasta. But, I have noticed sugar breaks me out so the high GI of pasta definitely hurts.

Hi there,

I was just wondering - what do you have on the pasta - cheese, tuna, butter - could it be the topping as well, that is accounting for the improvements?

Best wishes,

Thomas

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

Hi, all I ever add to pasta is sauce (no cheese/dairy), which is of different kinds depending on the prices. Usually the tomato sauce with mushrooms or whatever.

It's quite incredible. I'm sure there are other foods I am not eating often that could trigger my acne. I remember that if I ate a whole bag of tostitos my skin would get mad oily and breakout. But when it comes to eating food in regular quantities, it seems pasta was the #1 culprit.

Sugar is also definitly something I try to limit, but I haven't change that part of my diet from before as I have been limiting sugar consumption for a long time.

Basically:

1- Pasta: Never eating pasta again.

2- Sugar: Minimize as much as possible my intake of sugar (been doing that for years).

3- Salt: Never salt my food, and buy products low in sodium (been doing that for years too).

4- Dairy products: I only eat yogurt, and even that I eat in limited quantities. I like cheese but I haven't had it in a while.

Those are the only real guidelines I follow, but pasta is the one that made a difference. All the other ones I had been following for a long time and broke out anyway.

But I am sure all of those things can trigger my acne. It's just that it seems that pasta was the one thing I was not limiting (I was eating large portions every dinner).

I eat whole grain bread every day. I need it, otherwise I'll starve:p

edit: Oh yeah I avoid rice too, it makes me constipated and makes my skin oily often. But it was never part of my regular diet anyway.

Edited by Chocobot

Awesome, thanks again for sharing this. Are you 100% clear when you're not eating pasta, or do you always have some mild acne?

I am 95% clear. Never been this clear in years. I don't mind going out anymore, etc. I could probably do even better with better sleep and diet, and masturbation only once or twice a week.

Had acne since I was 12 or 13, I'm almost 28.

Edited by Chocobot

how bad was your acne chocobot?

and how long did it take to notice a difference when cutting out pasta

im officially starting my wheat free diet today, probably not even going to chance the gluten free pasta

the substitutes dont taste so bad, they have yeast in so i will be watching out for that and they also contain milk (which i dont think im allergic to dairy)

Gilmour56, keep in mind that dairy is a big trigger for lots of people. I don't wanna discourage you when you're just starting out on a wheat-free diet though, just saying. :)

ive been thinking of dairy as well. Il also be (almost) cutting out cheese and milk as well. If my skin clear the first thing i will add is dairy and see what happens

i think i break out after ive ate cheese sauce but i also eat it with potatoes so could be that OR it could be the flour in the cheese sauce so i dont know but hopefully il find out soon enough

hey tofueater

i feel like i have discovered the same thing as you, nothing really would stop my acne.. no medications no vitamins nothing

masterbation definately triggers it.. i noticed a while ago that chocolate is bad and i thought maybe the jam i put on my toast which ive now realised is probably the actual bread

when i first started getting bad acne id just moved to university and wasnt sure why i started getting bad acne.. however my diet had changed to pretty much a plateful of pasta dowsed in cheese and occasionally pasta sauce

a couple of weeks ago i had the clearest skin ive had in a while.. i though it was maybe since taking zinc but also during that time i hadnt consumed quite as much pasta.

its only just dawned on me.. from today im cutting out wheat in my diet.

heres what im going to do;

asda have a range of gluten free foods which is perfect for me so i ordered lots of that. im eating lots of apples and fruit at the moment and quite a bit of meat.

I also take zinc tablets and betaine hydrochloric acid with everymeal. How have you been doing the last week ? Il update with details every few days if people are interested.

Thanks

Jack

Hey Glimour,

It's still pretty early for me to tell, since my last pasta related break out was late feb to early march. But i've been quite clear since then. I haven't gotten any pimples anywhere on my forehead or left cheek. But my right cheek gets 1-3 zits every now and then.

What I'm dealing with now is the scarring. The scars on my forehead are mostly faded, but the ones on my cheeks, especially right side, is nasty. A lot of scattered brown/red dots. Looks even worse in the dark. Sometimes I look at my right cheek, and think, this is worse than the acne :doubt:

I'll bump this thread in may (2 months healing time from the pasta-acne breakout), and write how I'm doing.

Good Luck with your reg

Edited by TofuEater

how bad was your acne chocobot?

and how long did it take to notice a difference when cutting out pasta

im officially starting my wheat free diet today, probably not even going to chance the gluten free pasta

the substitutes dont taste so bad, they have yeast in so i will be watching out for that and they also contain milk (which i dont think im allergic to dairy)

My acne was white heads, new ones every day, on my chin, around my mouth, on the side of my face, and neckline. The usual spots, except the forehead. It was pretty bad, but not the kind of acne that leaves major ice-pick scars.

It took maybe a week to realize it was working.

Note that it is definitly not the solution to all problems, at least for me, because I know I have other triggers like too much sugar, salt, not drinking enough water, not enough sleep, or too much masturbation. But kicking out pastas is the one thing that made a clear difference. Masturbation I would say is my second worst trigger, so keeping that to a minimum is definitly my new goal.

Edited by Chocobot

i noticed masterbation was a definate trigger, i started taking zinc tablets a while ago though and although it hasnt cleared my skin; masterbation seems to be no longer a trigger. id recommend you to take safe doses of zinc because zinc is a common deficiency and is lost in semen

ive cut out chocolate and sugars, cheese (which i ate about 3 blocks a week), wheat, most gluten

there still is milk in the wheat free foods im eating but i havent had a reaction as of yet so fingers crossed

okay only been about three days and too early to draw up any conclusions.

i could see a pimple forming two days ago which i was sure was going to get inflamed and leave a huge mark on my cheek where i also have other marks. however it didnt get inflamed and just surfaced to be a tiny pimple thats just about gone now which i was pretty happy about

apart from that no new acne in the last 4 days.

Just wanted to give people some background to compare to...

okay im 20 years old and since i started uni (nearly 3 years ago) ive been troubled with acne. Recently its been quite a lot of nodules and pimples with a few cysts every month and the marks all my pimples leave are horrible. In my opinion the worst thing about the acne is the inflammation

ive tried dans regimen, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, zinc, vitamin c, b5, niacin, d, ethromycin (sp?), oxytetracycline, differin gel, panoxyl wash, dead sea salts, potatoes, green tea, sudocrem, calamine lotion, cold showers.. thats all i can think of at the moment

some have shown initial improvement and then stopped working after about a week. thats why im really gonna wait a couple of weeks before drawing up any conclusions with this.

whats the difference between a wheat intolerance and a wheat allergy btw?

1 week update:

for the first time in almost a year i have no active acne on my face. two big cysts on my neck still but hopefully they wont be around for too long

the marks left on my face are awful though and will probably take months to heal and cover about half of my face so its really too early to say if this is working yet.

im pleased after the first week though and il update next week

I thought hyperpigmentation and red marks were the same thing? I recommend jojoba and AHA for both red marks/discoloring of the skin from acne, and real scars -- not sure real scars can actually be fully healed that way (there's A LOT on this subject in the red marks section of the forums) but it certainly won't hurt anyway. Jojoba oil is helping my red marks fade faster, and I believe AHA is helping the brown marks on my shoulders to go away faster as well.

Does anyone know if Whole grain pasta has a low or high GI?

I get the general idea that wholegrain stuff has lower GI then refined white flours and pastas/breads and whatnot but I cant find anything definitive.

Ive stopped a gluten free diet (didnt seem to do anything for me) so Ive been looking at wholegrain foods. I already eat brown rice for my evening meal, my lunch usually consists of white rice flour pasta (lots of gluten free pasta left over). And I know thats not good for the blood sugar levels. Will eating wholegrain pasta make much difference?

edit: Also, say I did end up eating white pasta one day, if I took some psyllium husk right after the meal would it neutralize the blood sugar spikes somewhat?

Edited by JoeBloggs

Does anyone know if Whole grain pasta has a low or high GI?

I get the general idea that wholegrain stuff has lower GI then refined white flours and pastas/breads and whatnot but I cant find anything definitive.

Ive stopped a gluten free diet (didnt seem to do anything for me) so Ive been looking at wholegrain foods. I already eat brown rice for my evening meal, my lunch usually consists of white rice flour pasta (lots of gluten free pasta left over). And I know thats not good for the blood sugar levels. Will eating wholegrain pasta make much difference?

edit: Also, say I did end up eating white pasta one day, if I took some psyllium husk right after the meal would it neutralize the blood sugar spikes somewhat?

From what I have read whole grain products have a slightly lower GL but are much healthier for you. So, if you have the choice go whole grain but you would probably be better off avoiding the grain in general.

Two Week Update

Havent had any breakouts since my last post.

Marks are starting to clear thanks to apple cider vinegar and jojoba oil!

i had a pizza last night and noticed no side effects although i do feel very tired today.

I didnt actually realise how bad my marks were because i was more bothered about the actual acne, it will probably take a couple of months before the marks really clear :(

Sadly for me, even with no more pasta, I am still breaking out around my mouth. No idea why:( It helped a lot initially, but now it seems the benefit is gone.

5 week update,

okay so its been a while since i updated.

im never drinking guinness again, as good as it tastes one pint makes me fall alseep almost instantly and ensures i break out for the next week.

apart from that ive been sticking to beer and have been going out and not breaking out the next week which is a huge step, my acne turned to mild after cutting out wheat and after a week of dans regimen my face has made so much improvement.

i tried dans regimen for nearly two months earlier this year when i had bad acne and it just didnt work at all i kept getting cysts, but now its working extremely well

the faint hyperpigmentation i had has faded due to the bp peeling a layer from my skin and i havent had a new pimple for a week and a half. face is still not perfect but its improving drastically

will update later

Edited by Gilmour56