Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know you're not supposed to drink while taking the medicine, but is there anything horrific about drinking alcohol one day a week while on Accutane? Anyone here have any experiences with drinking while on the meds?

Thanks all.

I don't think the problems are immediate. The risk of course is liver damage but you won't really notice problems until down the road I believe. During the Olympics (I live in Vancouver) I had a few drinks on the weekend and I was fine. I don't think 1 drink every now and again will hurt (doctors ere on the safe side) but you never know. Since then I haven't had a drop and plan to keep it that way until my course is over.

Cheers

Thanks! It just sucks because I'm already super self conscious about my acne as it is, and as sad as it is to say, being buzzed is one way to make me feel a bit more comfortable, especially in situations like parties, etc.

you know, my derm never said not to drink and the warning labels from pharmacist do not say no alcohol. The above poster, however, is correct, alcohol is processed by your liver and Accutane can raise both your liver function and your triglycerides, alcohol can too. I really think you would be fine with a drink or 2 occasionally. Your labs are being monitored. Just be sensible and certainly don't binge drink.

Drinking is never good for you, yes that includes that glass of red wine people helplessly cling to as their healthy savior.

So just don't be an idiot about it and you'll be fine. I've been taning for a little over 2 months now and I've drank 4 or 5 times. I just limit myself to what someone who isn't in college anymore is supposed to drink. Maybe you could try something like that lol.

I drink a lot on weekends to the point where I pass out or vomit. It's a really stupid thing to do but hey, you only live once. I got my blood work back and everything is fine. But I do think it will eventually do something bad. I need to stop.

I drink a lot on weekends to the point where I pass out or vomit. It's a really stupid thing to do but hey, you only live once. I got my blood work back and everything is fine. But I do think it will eventually do something bad. I need to stop.

This, OP, is what you aren't supposed to do. Perfect example of the "don't be an idiot" with alcohol and accutane. But even if you are you'll probably be ok.