Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allison12

Dealing with realllllllly oily skin...

My skin is excessively oily. 20 minutes after I wash it, it looks shiny again. By the end of the day I'm dripping with oil, and I usually have to wash my hair morning and night. It's really inconvenient.

I know my acne is due to the oiliness because I was on Accutane, and the oily parts of my skin cleared but the non-oily parts didn't (it took birth control to fix the non-oily stuff).

So is there anything besides Accutane which can help control oil? Something to stop the oil would be nice but anything that makes it look less obvious would be helpful too. Like oil controlling makeup, does that actually work? I already use blotting sheets.

You can try yaz bc and spironlactone since you are a girl. There have been a lot of positive feedback in regards to skin being less oily

Hmm i'm on the yasmin contraceptive pill and it has done nothing to clear the oiliness :( im now using the duac gel... and its drying my skin out just not my nose :S i feel helpless arghhh

Hmm i'm on the yasmin contraceptive pill and it has done nothing to clear the oiliness :( im now using the duac gel... and its drying my skin out just not my nose :S i feel helpless arghhh

spiro is for the oily skin yaz is for the acne.

Ugh, I have the same problem. Is there anything else besides taking such strong meds? I'm thinking about trying facial masks, but I'm very hesitant. I've tried them in the past, but I think they were too strong for my sensitive skin. I got skin reactions using the ProActiv mask and masks from The Body Shop. Does anybody know of any REALLY mild facial masks that I could try that are good for oily skin?

It sounds like my skin was as oily as yours. I remember in high school ( I dont know why I didnt try to change anything like wash my hair alittle more often ) but i was so oily that my hair bangs would never be thick and puffy the way i intended them to be because the hair soaked up all the oil and turned it stringy--i know--nasty--I just though that was normal during that time.

My face started secreting oil shortly after washing it, as well, and those blotting paper packages would become very expensive as i could go through 1 pack of those in a day.

I changed my diet and I am no longer oily.At the end of the day I have produced a minimal amount of oil, only enough to fill 1. I dont eat refined or processed foods, of course, and oily buttery foods, but most of all i incorporate a good amount of raw vegetables and the right fruits.

A good topical oil fighter, milk of magnesia.

Personally I think nothing will help you except a low dose of accutane.

Tried all the remedies, been there, now on 4mg accutane a day (maintenance) and oil is GONE (at least, it is now, cant say what the future will bring).

Look into it...

some things you can try that wont hurt:

wash face using cold or lukewarm water. cold feels better in my opinion.

use a moisturizer.

wash your face with something really mild which doesnt dry out your face or has a basic pH. Salicylic is a horrible active ingredient. just makes things a lot drier. same with bp.

take showers only at night in lukewarm water. hot and steamy using exacerbates the condition.

if you notice that your breakouts come from your diet, limit sugars. if you cant, try to eat them with a protein. theres a whole a lot threads on this issue.

try to limit how many times you wash your face. twice a day. three at most.

I know that it sounds silly, but for years and years and years I've bought plain-old Vanity Fair lint-free napkins, and throughout the day I blot my face with a fresh napkin, and I do that everyday, thoughout the day, all day long. It is an inexpensive way to help keep the problem under control. Best of luck!

Personally I think nothing will help you except a low dose of accutane.

Tried all the remedies, been there, now on 4mg accutane a day (maintenance) and oil is GONE (at least, it is now, cant say what the future will bring).

Look into it...

Was it hard to get a low dose of accutane prescribed just for oil? I would think most derms would be hesitant, as they are with anything pertaining to accutane.