Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLSL

My first post: My acne scarring.

Hi,

I'm new here and I was hoping that someone could please help with my acne scarring. I started getting horrible break outs in 8th grade+ and now several years later the pimples are gone, but I'm unfortunately left with scars. They're called rolling scars I believe - those tooth pick looking ones. :( At first they weren't very noticeable but now it's like I keep discovering new ones every day, and they're deeper. My mom notices them too. Does anyone know if my Retin-A medicine could be making them worse? And how can I get rid of them? Or can I even get rid of them? This has caused me to be depressed; they're all over my cheeks and I'm afraid I will never have my flawless skin back.

Here is a picture of the right side of my cheek: post-124720-1268632768_thumb.jpg

My dermatologist says they're mild scarring and that the Retin-A he had prescribed me to get rid of my acne will also help my scars fade over (a long period of) time. However I think he may be wrong. PLEASE help!

post-124720-1268632768_thumb.jpg

Hi

Some people have reported that Retin a has made their scarring worse.

Try not to get down about your skin, I know this is easy to say, but your scarring is very mild and you are likely to a lot harsher on yourself than others will be.

There is plenty of information here, a popular treatment is dermarolling, have a read of this thread

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/guys-t217908.html

Also check out the threads pinned at the top of the page.

Good luck.

Edited by goodlife

I've heard that retin-a treats scars...it makes your skin more sensitive, but it also increases cell turnover. My friend has scars around her chin from picking and they disappeared after using retin-a for a year.

I agree, your scars are very mild. You would probably be the few that would get great benefit out of a series of fraxel:restore. I think dermarolling would be a bit aggressive since you have so few scars.

Good luck. : )

Retin A isn't going to make them worse. It could help over time. It doesn't look too bad. Research the various procedures on here and see what sounds best for you. I think you stand a good chance to get rid of most of it eventually. But it might take a couple procedures and doing stuff yourself.

Retin A isn't going to make them worse. It could help over time. It doesn't look too bad. Research the various procedures on here and see what sounds best for you. I think you stand a good chance to get rid of most of it eventually. But it might take a couple procedures and doing stuff yourself.

your scarring is similar to mine, maybe try copper peptides and a few light peels over a few months. it definitely wont get rid of them, but it may soften them a bit, at least until you can get something better done. retin a has been shown to work, though at the same time ive been against it since hearing the claims it supports the growth in even more scar tissue, which doesnt sound too positive. ive been thinking of getting professional needling done in the future, maybe you should consider it too?

There are a few ice picks--they should be treatable by TCA-cross. The depressions by subcision.

I don't think retin-a will make it worse..

Is there anything a dermatologist could give me for scarring besides the things y'all are saying, because you have to order those things online and I wanna be safe...?