Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would you rather have?

Acne now but cancer-free when you're old

or

have NO acne now but have cancer when you're older?

In other words, be happy when you're younger but suffer when you're older or vice versa?

Edited by carmusen

I think it's an insult to both conditions to compare them.

Additionally, your afflictions do not dictate your happiness. Your reactions to such circumstance does.

Uh...acne now for how long though? Honestly this is gonna sound bad but I'd rather be acne free and have cancer later. I'm losing my youth to acne and one day I'm gonna be old and regret so much that I never enjoyed my best years. Plus, cancer isn't a death sentence.

without a doubt i pick cancer later. The life I'm living now because of acne is not worth living

You know, if you asked me that 5 years ago I'd probably say Acne now, no cancer...but now I'm not too sure anymore, and I'm serious. :(

I think it's an insult to both conditions to compare them.

Additionally, your afflictions do not dictate your happiness. Your reactions to such circumstance does.

lol

yes they do

your afflictions have everything to do with your happiness

if you were blind, dumb and deaf and paralyzed from the hair down how happy could you be?

i'd take cancer at 80 over acne at 18 ANY day of the week

First of all: what type of cancer? There's a huge difference between let's say skin cancer and lung cancer. I assume the OP meant a deadly (or at least hard to cure) disease, otherwise I fail to see why anyone would vote for acne. I'd like to see people who vote for cancer to come back here when they're older and diagnosed with it and tell us how they feel about this comparison then. A ridiculous comparison, I might add. I've seen too many people struggle with cancer and not survive in the end, and I've had acne myself, so I feel kind of authorized to answer this: I'd go for acne without a single doubt. I understand that most people who have acne now would vote for cancer, but believe me: you really don't want that, ever. Though not all cancers are deadly, last time I checked acne wasn't deadly either.

You are sick... really. Perhaps is your sick mind, negative thoughts keeping your acne. Law of Attraction. Think about it.

You are sick... really. Perhaps is your sick mind, negative thoughts keeping your acne. Law of Attraction. Think about it.

@miketomass: Little too harsh man, calm it down a bit.

@carmusen: To answer your question, it is unanswerable. For people not suffering from acne, at least not sever acne, they would immediately tell you they'd take the acne. For those of us on acne.org whose lives have been influenced greatly by acne we are more prone to lead towards the cancer. So, it's entirely based on your perspective. I personally, if I really think about, would rather take the acne.

Edited by craigeroo

your afflictions have everything to do with your happiness

No, they don't. Unless you let them.

if you were blind, dumb and deaf and paralyzed from the hair down how happy could you be?

Wouldn't you be dead then?

That's a great plan... Until it came time to get cancer. Then I doubt anybody would think it was a great plan.

It depends on how much later, and what kind of cancer. Like, if it were prostate cancer when I'm 80, I'd take the cancer later option in a heartbeat, since prostate cancer grows slowly, from what I've read. But something nastier, like melanoma 20 years down the road, no way.

Edited by nickolas_87

It's not really comparable.

Right now i just want my acne and red marks to go away. I'll worry about cancer when i need to worry about cancer.

Uh...acne now for how long though? Honestly this is gonna sound bad but I'd rather be acne free and have cancer later. I'm losing my youth to acne and one day I'm gonna be old and regret so much that I never enjoyed my best years. Plus, cancer isn't a death sentence.

Going through chemotherapy is definitely brutal, but i wholeheartedly agree with the cancer later and acne free now.

i choose acne free now

cancer later

If u clear ur acne now through dietary changes I don't think u will get cancer later.

I understand what you're getting at but this is a pretty awful comparison. Most of us are all young, of course we want acne to be gone - but cancer is another story. Cancer can be treated, yes, but not without pain and other things affecting your body. Chemo is INCREDIBLY stressful on the body, I might add - it's not just losing hair, it's losing an extreme amount of weight, becoming weaker and unable to do things on your own, unable to hold down any food, etc. Not to mention the emotional trauma it causes family, friends and yourself. I don't know...it just isn't a comparison that makes sense.

While I have never experienced any illness as serious as cancer, I have suffered from acne, facial eczema and a debilitating inner disorder called labyrinthitis throughout my late teens and twenties. Sometimes, life just throws everything at you. I think I'd still rather have the three conditions I have over cancer, however, as none of them are life-threatening. Existence - even a poor existence - is better than the threat of non-existence, to my mind. I've still managed to achieve things with the life I've been given. God underestimated how strong I am.

Quite alarming to see how many people are choosing to have cancer later in order to have clear skin now.

I would choose the acne now, cancer free later as cancer (leukemia to be specific) has had a large impact on my family. Its absolutely awful for the sufferer and also for the surrounding family members to see someone you love go through such a thing, seeing them fade away in the hospital/hospice/home is downright distressing and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I think people are underestimating the knock on effects of cancer for your friends and family too. Yes, you can have chemotherapy but that is brutal, and in some cases not applicable.

Acne is a horrible thing but it pales in comparison to things such as cancer. There are many routes you can take to reduce and get rid of your acne, its not that simple for cancer.

I also feel I must add that cancer can strike so suddenly, often times where it is discovered too late and there's nothing you can do but essentially wait for it to kill you. This happened to a friend's mother--she was perfectly healthy, nothing to worry about, then when she felt a little sick, she went to the doctor and discovered the cancer had been in her system for a while, undetected. She had about three weeks in the hospital getting treated while her health rapidly deteriorated to the point where her family thought it was best to let her pass away. Sorry to be so depressing but I'm just saying, cancer can happen so suddenly to anyone and before you know it, every other problem in life seems trivial.

I would 100% choose having cancer when im 60/70 and having nice looking skin than having my face feeling dry all the time, looking dirty from all the blackheads/whiteheads/small red spots everywhere.

I dont care how wrong that is, my face has gradually got like this the last month or two and Ive gone from being out with my mates all the time to not wanting anyone to see me.

Its ruined everything and ive been searching for ways to solve this but it seems so much harder to rid face of all these severely blocked pores than normal acne because changing diet/lifestyle seems to have worked for a lot of people in calming down/hraling inflamed acne but it seems once pores are seriously clogged its very hard to get rid of them and even harder to keep them clean.

fuck this

So it's sort of like "Would you choose to live shorter if it meant you were happier in the time you were alive?", eh? Interesting question.

I would, in all seriousness, chose cancer later. Even though "later" is fairly ambiguous, I feel that the effect acne has had on my life is comparable to that of a terminal illness. For instance, I no longer have the hope of clear skin in the future because my entire face is now riddled with scarring ( and I didn't even pick at it!). Furthermore, it influences every part of my life, I think about it constantly. It has damaged my confidence which, inturn, has severely limited my life. I do not have a social life. I do not have meaningful relationships. I do not enjoy my life on a daily basis. I merely exist, I do not live.

If I could trade a sickly latter end of life for clear skin now, I would do it in a heartbeat.