Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mynameispeepe

Finished 3rd Accutane course -- now what?

Hi everyone,

I am a 22 year old male, and I just finished my 3rd course of Accutane, which I did for 7 months at 80 mg/day. I definitely am all out of stamina; it was extremely tough.

Here is a brief history of my courses:

Course 1 = 2004, 6 months @ 80 mg/day

Course 2 = 2005, 4 months @ 80 mg/day, 2 months @ 120 mg/day

Course 3 = 2009-10, 7 months @ 80 mg/day

My acne has been severe and cystic, and I get it on my cheeks, jaw, neck, and back. Some of my acne is also actually folliculitis where my beard grows.

As I said, I am now 22 years old, and unfortunately I feel that I am still going through puberty (e.g. I am certain this is not "adult acne," and I am just starting to grow hair on my chest -- go figure), so I am afraid that my acne genes haven't "shut off" yet since I am not done with puberty.

I am desperate, because after the first two courses my acne came back within a few months, hence the need for the additional courses. Right now my skin is very clear, so I am happy. I really want my acne to stay away for good this time -- so what can I do to help it not come back?

My doctor wants me to go on Retin-A Micro, but I have *never* had success with it, even after my previous courses of Accutane. In fact, Retin-A Micro just irritates my skin. I also have *never* had any success with minocycline or erythromycin. Nor have I had any success with Differin.

So since things like Retin-A Micro don't prevent my acne, and just irritate my skin, do you think that I should try something more gentle?

I have never tried Proactiv or Murad -- would any of these work at preventing breakouts, given the fact my acne has been historically very severe?

The thing is that I need something that *prevents* acne, not just clears it up.

Anyway, thanks so much. I'm really hoping for the best, and I appreciate your time and advice :)

Edited by mynameispeepe

Based on personal experience, I would NOT recommend Murad. I tried using that stuff about three months ago, used for two weeks and started breaking out in cysts. I usually get about 3 of these things a year but Murad freakin wreaked havoc on my skin. I stopped after I started getting cysts and I'm STILL getting them 2 months later. I can't say for sure that it won't work for you, because we're all different, but if you are prone to cysts (which you say you are) then this may also happen to you.

haha the first time I read this I thought you said you were a 22 year old FEMALE, then proceeded to read about your beard area and growing hair on your chest, lol. I was like Whoa, you might want to look into that, haha.

i dont really know what can help you but i hope someone does because im interested as well. i just stopped accutane (6 months 80 mg a day) and my face is TERRIBLE still... i have so many cysts and its like i never had these before accutane... at least your face got to clear up. my derm wants me on round two... but i dont know if thats a good idea. i feel like im that one person that accutane wont work for

i dont really know what can help you but i hope someone does because im interested as well. i just stopped accutane (6 months 80 mg a day) and my face is TERRIBLE still... i have so many cysts and its like i never had these before accutane... at least your face got to clear up. my derm wants me on round two... but i dont know if thats a good idea. i feel like im that one person that accutane wont work for

you might have gram negative folliculitus.

you say youv got clear skin now so maybe the accutane just took 3 courses to work?

i took accutane 10 years ago and then a year ago i started to get cysts on my neck which became worse and more frequent so im now on my second course. weird thing is the first time my neck was totally clear and now this time my face is clear (except the odd few).so iv got similar worries that things will flare up again! my problems seem to coincide with when i was smoking weed so that is definately something im cutting out my life for good!

iv read on here that some people take very small doses of accutane to keep oil production under control. iv got a feeling that could be dangerous an not something id try but its an option if your really worried. im starting to do the green smoothies from the nutritional section, can only help hey so maybe worth a try. and im taking evening primrose oil and omega 3

hope things work out and you stay clear

you say youv got clear skin now so maybe the accutane just took 3 courses to work?

i took accutane 10 years ago and then a year ago i started to get cysts on my neck which became worse and more frequent so im now on my second course. weird thing is the first time my neck was totally clear and now this time my face is clear (except the odd few).so iv got similar worries that things will flare up again! my problems seem to coincide with when i was smoking weed so that is definately something im cutting out my life for good!

iv read on here that some people take very small doses of accutane to keep oil production under control. iv got a feeling that could be dangerous an not something id try but its an option if your really worried. im starting to do the green smoothies from the nutritional section, can only help hey so maybe worth a try. and im taking evening primrose oil and omega 3

hope things work out and you stay clear

my case is similar to you

i took accutane almost 9 yrs ago i think it started to get clear around 2 months after my accutane course.

i had acne on my T zone back then

after the 1st course i had another breakout about 6 years ago. but this time acne is all on my cheek and neck. its still severe on those areas and i might need a second course.

my T zone is basically clear all along. so i really dont know.

anyway, for the topic starter i couldnt really recommend much other then by eating "clean" and keep doing exercises.

best of luck.