Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joga

My Accutane Experience

With my 5 month course coming to an end on Wednesday, I would like to share my Accutane journey with all of you, and help inspire as well as inform people of potential negative aspects derived from this powerful drug. There is no doubt in my mind my prolonged decision to go on Accutane was a great one, and one I should have made a year or two earlier, but it was a rollercoaster ride indeed. Bear with me people, I’m going to try and make this as short as possible!

So I began getting acne when I was about 14 years old. Initially it was very mild, a pimple here and there, that’s about it. The first regimen I went on was Proactiv, and it worked very well at the beginning, but as time went on its effectiveness weakened. By the time I hit first year University (18 years old), my acne began to pick up so I decided to visit a dermatologist. He discussed Accutane with me but my mother and I decided that since my acne was mild but persistent, I should try out some other regimen and hope that come next year when I visit him I’m grown out of this horrible disease. As a result he prescribed me with Benzamycin and Differin to use on alternate nights, as well as Clindasol Cream during the cooler seasons, and wipes for the summer. I used all of these topicals for the year, and it did aid in fighting the acne, but did little with regards to preventing it. My second visit to the dermatologist came a year later, and although I was in the same position, I still decided to continue the same thing. Over this year my complexion worsened a little, but for the most part it was no different than the year before.

As time went on, I starting reaching a plateau, I really began to become extremely self conscious about my complexion, and found myself not only embarrassed at times, but turning down outings with friends/family because of this self consciousness. Although only suffering from mild/persistent acne, and even having friends with worse acne than me, I still reached a point where I really didn’t want to deal with it anymore. I began to research on Accutane, and with the support of my parents, decided to finally go on it and prepare to tell my derm when I was to meet him for the third time. He supported my decision as well, and October 19th, 2009 is when it all began.

At the beginning of my course I had full intentions of somehow trying to hide the fact that I was taking Accutane, but this plan failed quickly as I totally stopped going out to bars. I wanted to hide it not because I was embarrassed, but I didn’t want to be judged when face to face with people and have to explain everything, call me stupid for this, but this is how I felt. These feelings led to me virtually alienating my close friends from my life. I didn’t want to go to bars because of my inability to consume alcohol, and I don’t know about you out there, but if I’m at these sorts of places I need to at least have a few drinks! Another reason is the initial breakout and red face due to Accutane. My friends were quite surprised when they found out I was on such a strong drug because my acne was only mild/persistent, but us acne sufferers are the only ones who truly know what it’s like, whether you suffer from mild, moderate, or severe acne. Also, always being the guy throughout the school or wherever it may be who all the girls were “in love†with, I still managed lack a great deal of confidence, obviously due to my complexion. (Not trying to be arrogant, just trying to help you get a good idea of my situation, in fact I am the least arrogant person you’ll meet!) I was self conscious before Accutane so you can only imagine me during the initial breakout and enduring the red face. Due to these many factors, I began at times experiencing fairly severe depression and anxiety. I think the Accutane did trigger it a bit, but my overall complexion was the primary reason, and I began isolating myself from pretty much everything. Despite my friends knowing I was on the drug and my inability to drink, they began rightly questioning my strange actions and lack on contact with them not knowing truly what I was going through. Due to my altered state of mind, I did not inform them of my situation, which I think was the right thing to do, for the time being at least.

Once month 3/3.5/4 hit, things began to become a lot brighter and better. I did not experience any emotional breakdowns, the embarrassment I experienced so frequently stopped, and most importantly, the acne was disappearing and not returning. The only problem I was and still am dealing with (hope it is gone once I’m done) is the redness, but it’s definitely bearable. Still remaining distant from my close friends, I began to realize that I made a big mistake and virtually drifted away from them. Just recently I began to keep close contact with them again, but still haven’t discussed with them what exactly I was enduring in my early stages of Accutane, but I’m sure it will come out eventually. For the time being I plan to just give them somewhat of an idea, but not the full extent.

With only a couple days left in my course, a clear face, I am ready to live my old life again, a life I failed to maintain for whatever reason I can’t pin an exact reasoning to. I’m excited for this upcoming summer and overall future, just keeping my fingers crossed, praying and hoping the acne does not return!

Thanks for your time, and hope this helps you all in some way!

-5 months

-80mg

With my 5 month course coming to an end on Wednesday, I would like to share my Accutane journey with all of you, and help inspire as well as inform people of potential negative aspects derived from this powerful drug. There is no doubt in my mind my prolonged decision to go on Accutane was a great one, and one I should have made a year or two earlier, but it was a rollercoaster ride indeed. Bear with me people, I’m going to try and make this as short as possible!

So I began getting acne when I was about 14 years old. Initially it was very mild, a pimple here and there, that’s about it. The first regimen I went on was Proactiv, and it worked very well at the beginning, but as time went on its effectiveness weakened. By the time I hit first year University (18 years old), my acne began to pick up so I decided to visit a dermatologist. He discussed Accutane with me but my mother and I decided that since my acne was mild but persistent, I should try out some other regimen and hope that come next year when I visit him I’m grown out of this horrible disease. As a result he prescribed me with Benzamycin and Differin to use on alternate nights, as well as Clindasol Cream during the cooler seasons, and wipes for the summer. I used all of these topicals for the year, and it did aid in fighting the acne, but did little with regards to preventing it. My second visit to the dermatologist came a year later, and although I was in the same position, I still decided to continue the same thing. Over this year my complexion worsened a little, but for the most part it was no different than the year before.

As time went on, I starting reaching a plateau, I really began to become extremely self conscious about my complexion, and found myself not only embarrassed at times, but turning down outings with friends/family because of this self consciousness. Although only suffering from mild/persistent acne, and even having friends with worse acne than me, I still reached a point where I really didn’t want to deal with it anymore. I began to research on Accutane, and with the support of my parents, decided to finally go on it and prepare to tell my derm when I was to meet him for the third time. He supported my decision as well, and October 19th, 2009 is when it all began.

At the beginning of my course I had full intentions of somehow trying to hide the fact that I was taking Accutane, but this plan failed quickly as I totally stopped going out to bars. I wanted to hide it not because I was embarrassed, but I didn’t want to be judged when face to face with people and have to explain everything, call me stupid for this, but this is how I felt. These feelings led to me virtually alienating my close friends from my life. I didn’t want to go to bars because of my inability to consume alcohol, and I don’t know about you out there, but if I’m at these sorts of places I need to at least have a few drinks! Another reason is the initial breakout and red face due to Accutane. My friends were quite surprised when they found out I was on such a strong drug because my acne was only mild/persistent, but us acne sufferers are the only ones who truly know what it’s like, whether you suffer from mild, moderate, or severe acne. Also, always being the guy throughout the school or wherever it may be who all the girls were “in love” with, I still managed lack a great deal of confidence, obviously due to my complexion. (Not trying to be arrogant, just trying to help you get a good idea of my situation, in fact I am the least arrogant person you’ll meet!) I was self conscious before Accutane so you can only imagine me during the initial breakout and enduring the red face. Due to these many factors, I began at times experiencing fairly severe depression and anxiety. I think the Accutane did trigger it a bit, but my overall complexion was the primary reason, and I began isolating myself from pretty much everything. Despite my friends knowing I was on the drug and my inability to drink, they began rightly questioning my strange actions and lack on contact with them not knowing truly what I was going through. Due to my altered state of mind, I did not inform them of my situation, which I think was the right thing to do, for the time being at least.

Once month 3/3.5/4 hit, things began to become a lot brighter and better. I did not experience any emotional breakdowns, the embarrassment I experienced so frequently stopped, and most importantly, the acne was disappearing and not returning. The only problem I was and still am dealing with (hope it is gone once I’m done) is the redness, but it’s definitely bearable. Still remaining distant from my close friends, I began to realize that I made a big mistake and virtually drifted away from them. Just recently I began to keep close contact with them again, but still haven’t discussed with them what exactly I was enduring in my early stages of Accutane, but I’m sure it will come out eventually. For the time being I plan to just give them somewhat of an idea, but not the full extent.

With only a couple days left in my course, a clear face, I am ready to live my old life again, a life I failed to maintain for whatever reason I can’t pin an exact reasoning to. I’m excited for this upcoming summer and overall future, just keeping my fingers crossed, praying and hoping the acne does not return!

Thanks for your time, and hope this helps you all in some way!

-5 months

-80mg

ahh great! so happy for you that it worked! It amazing how much life can change just over clear skin! Im startin accuatane 2mrw I hope I get good results, thanks for sharing your story its

encouraged me even more :)

Thanks for the read!!

Im glad it encourages you even more, just hang in there, the results will come and before you know it you will be done!!

I'm baffled by all these people who go into seclusion when they start taking accutane. It's just a drug people!!! Anyways congrats on your progress and getting your acne resolved.

idk how this story can encourage us, other than to not do what you did. I told my roommate that I haven't even known for more than 2 days I was on accutane. And my acne was so bad, felt self conscious and all. And its' still bad.

thanks for the insight man, I think it takes a lot of courage to come out and say what you've been through. As for telling your friends about how your feeling, friends are there for a reason: to support you when you need it most. I'm sure your feelings will come out over time.

I'm baffled by all these people who go into seclusion when they start taking accutane. It's just a drug people!!! Anyways congrats on your progress and getting your acne resolved.

Its definately is the wrong way to handle the whole situation, but everyone deals with issues differently. I was always the type of person who cared what people thinked, and due to my experience on accutane, this has all changed...