Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Breaking out on a rice and veggies only diet. Wth?

I know that my acne is related to my digestive issues because I get clear when I fast, I often have diarrhea, gas etc etc. I suspect that I have a leaky gut, because eating protein made things worse for me (I think).

I seem to be fine when I only eat veggies (no starches) or fast, but when I brought in brown rice (and coconut milk) I started to break out again. So I think that means I don't have food allergies (rice is hypoallergenic), instead I suffer from something else like the leaky gut syndrome - food particles get in my bloodstream causing the inflammation. Also, it's definitely not just rice or coconut milk related because I started eating it when I went vegan.

I can't only eat veggies. I tried. I will start taking probiotics and enzymes tomorrow, but I doubt they are going to take care of the issue that easily. I'm also taking HCL. Not sure if it's doing anything or not. I popped 12 300mg pills today with rice (not after meal) and didn't feel a thing... I'm also a multi vitamin, fish oil and cod liver oil - it's not those too because I have tried not taking them - no difference.

Some background: 1 year of perfect candida diet = NOTHING, now even more strict - three weeks completely vegan and no protein = better but still breaking out.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. If this continues I will try to bring in EVERYTHING back to my diet suddenly - peanuts, sugar, grains, dairy, meat, whatever else I want, and see how my skin reacts - maybe I'm imagining the whole thing and it's not diet related at all?

Edited by hesitation

Try white rice instead of brown rice and see if you still break out. Wait a week. If you don't break out, it may be because brown rice has higher protein content. I noticed I slightly broke out over brown rice and it wasn't as bad as other high-protein foods.

Also, check the protein content in coconut milk.

Edited by Dotty1

Also, are you eating any citrus fruits? I've seen some people have breakouts because of citrus fruits.

I don't eat fruits at all. I cut them out to make sure it's the rice on the vegan diet. I have so few things left in my diet that it's ridiculous. One week when I was fasting I only drank lemon juice, I didn't break out... So I am guessing I'm fine with citrus fruits (lemon is the only citrus fruit I've consumed in after starting the candida diet).

The coconut milk is mostly fat (18g), only 3g of protein and carbs. It's supposed to be healthy and antiviral.

Edited by hesitation

Even if something is healthy, it can be poison to your body.

"One man's meat is another man's poison." Especially when dealing with food sensitivities, which it appears you are. For example, yeast is a wonderful food, highly nutritious. But it almost kills me, putting me to sleep for two days if I have a spoonful. :eh: Your sensitivity can be as innocuous as a banana.

Write down everything you are eating and post it here.

But I think it is the brown rice. Switch to white rice.

But its weird that you haven't noticed a reduction in infections after taking the HCl with protein. Usually people notice this after 1-2 weeks.

Try cutting the rice(high carbs) and eating fatty meats for a bit, along with a sugar boycott. I'm reaping the rewards of a low-carb/no-carb trial diet that is designed to minimize my bodily insulin use. Working wonders, any new zits are small and local to that one clogged pore. Furthermore, it actually expels the blackhead now as opposed to encapsulating it in a giant cyst. I am 100% for real, try a fast, followed by a carb fast into a carb reduction by drastic amounts... I had a face full of cysts die off, after months of a particularly viscous outbreak. Pics are up in another thread of my current ten day successes. I messed up horribly this weekend but have only suffered the small pimples that I've detailed..... Try it if your situation might resemble mine; i.e. age, weight, metabolism, acne type... Just read my old ramblings for those stats... Insulin = acne....

White rice will raise your blood glucose more quickly. Just a word of caution. Hypoallergenic doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

Secondly, 3 weeks isn't always enough time for something to work. Just eat lots of raw veggies with some raw fruits in there, too. What about nuts? Can you tolerate nuts or does the protein in them cause problems?

Green smoothies may help your stomach acid levels, too, aiding in digestion naturally so your body doesn't become dependent on HCl capsules.

My main advice is to give it time. Some people take months before even seeing any improvement.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Idea: your acne is not caused by what you eat, but by what you fail to digest. Live in dim light during the day, eat rice, get carb malabsorption. Carb malabsorption likely interferes with the digestion of chemicals (zinc and tryptophan) your body needs to keep from having an overactive immune system that causes acne.

Live in bright outdoor light all day, and eating rice doesn't cause carb malabsorption. Be unaware of the fact that retinal light exposure affects digestion, and then you go nuts trying to track down foods that "cause" acne, since different foods will have different effects depending on a factor (light exposure) that you had no idea you should be controlling for at all.

IMHO. :D

Idea: your acne is not caused by what you eat, but by what you fail to digest. Live in dim light during the day, eat rice, get carb malabsorption. Carb malabsorption likely interferes with the digestion of chemicals (zinc and tryptophan) your body needs to keep from having an overactive immune system that causes acne.

Live in bright outdoor light all day, and eating rice doesn't cause carb malabsorption. Be unaware of the fact that retinal light exposure affects digestion, and then you go nuts trying to track down foods that "cause" acne, since different foods will have different effects depending on a factor (light exposure) that you had no idea you should be controlling for at all.

That doesn't explain how I live in a basement and managed to clear my skin by eating mostly raw foods - including fruit, which, last time I checked, has carbs? It also doesn't explain that when I lived in an upstairs room, with tons of windows constantly flooding the room with bright sunlight, and my skin was still breaking out.

Even if something is healthy, it can be poison to your body.

"One man's meat is another man's poison." Especially when dealing with food sensitivities, which it appears you are. For example, yeast is a wonderful food, highly nutritious. But it almost kills me, putting me to sleep for two days if I have a spoonful. :eh: Your sensitivity can be as innocuous as a banana.

Write down everything you are eating and post it here.

OK. Cucumber, spinach, onion (three kinds), some other leafy greens, broccoli, leek, all kinds of cabbage, olive oil, salt (red salt without iodine), evian mineral water (that's all I drink), brown rice, coconut milk.That pretty much sums it up, I might have missed some other veggies though.

I had acne even when consuming none of the aforementioned foods, so I am guessing it's a food compound or something like that that's causing the problems.

Try cutting the rice(high carbs) and eating fatty meats for a bit, along with a sugar boycott. I'm reaping the rewards of a low-carb/no-carb trial diet that is designed to minimize my bodily insulin use. Working wonders, any new zits are small and local to that one clogged pore. Furthermore, it actually expels the blackhead now as opposed to encapsulating it in a giant cyst. I am 100% for real, try a fast, followed by a carb fast into a carb reduction by drastic amounts... I had a face full of cysts die off, after months of a particularly viscous outbreak. Pics are up in another thread of my current ten day successes. I messed up horribly this weekend but have only suffered the small pimples that I've detailed..... Try it if your situation might resemble mine; i.e. age, weight, metabolism, acne type... Just read my old ramblings for those stats... Insulin = acne....

That's my previous diet. I'd eat tons of tuna and chicken everyday plus veggies. No carbs. My skin was much worse I think. I assumed protein is what broke me out.

White rice will raise your blood glucose more quickly. Just a word of caution. Hypoallergenic doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

Secondly, 3 weeks isn't always enough time for something to work. Just eat lots of raw veggies with some raw fruits in there, too. What about nuts? Can you tolerate nuts or does the protein in them cause problems?

Green smoothies may help your stomach acid levels, too, aiding in digestion naturally so your body doesn't become dependent on HCl capsules.

My main advice is to give it time. Some people take months before even seeing any improvement.

Thanks, but I have given it a lot of time already... Over one year on the candida diet with no fruits, after that I've experienced with different things and ended up on this vegan diet without carbs or protein.

When I fast I clear immediately, but when I start eating again it starts all over again. So, I think databased is right about this: "your acne is not caused by what you eat, but by what you fail to digest." - makes sense...

That's interesting. I spend a lot of time behind my computer, but I am next to a window and I usually get a lot of light. I used to spend a lot of time outside at summer, yet my acne was the same/worse. This is an interesting idea though, but I think I've already tried that.

I'm not sure how long I can go on a no protein and no carbs diet. It can't possibly be healthy. Not to mention the endless hunger. Rice was perfect. Too bad...

Edited by hesitation

Do you for any reason think its all the stress causing the break outs?

it seems to me that your just stressing too much over something that shouldn't be taken over your life seriously.

i notice when i stress over the whole breaking out thing, it just seems to get worse

so just relax about things avoid mirrors if you have too play some video games, go do some sports, do stuff that gets your mind off things.

just my two cents

i know stress has a lot to do with digestive issues

Hesitation,

I'm not talking about your candida diet. Some things on a candida diet can still be harmful to acne - like kefir and plain yogurt. Also, a candida diet may not do much if you're not getting enough nutrients and enzymes be eating tons of raw leafy greens and vegetables. You might have a problem with which you simply aren't getting enough nutrients.

I don't doubt you have leaky gut or digestive problems. What I doubt is that sunlight is your absolute main problem. Yes, it can be helpful and is quite necessary - but like I said, I spend maybe a mere 10-20 minutes a day exposed to natural lighting and still experienced success in my skin clearing.

I strongly suggest you try eating most of your food in it's raw state. This way, nutrients will not get destroyed and your body will be more nourished. Also, your body will have a much easier time digesting these foods. You could also try making "pre-digested" meals - like soups or smoothies. This way, your body won't have to struggle to break down the walls of veggies or fruits. It'll process them much easier and you're less likely to have them leaking into or irritating your system. You could also try digestive enzymes, I suppose. I wouldn't try making them a long term thing if you don't have to. Like I said, though, raw foods contain enzymes that get destroyed with cooking. So, you're better off sticking to mostly raw foods.

Colostrum and aloe vera juice are also pretty well known for their ability to help eliminate leaky gut.

Hesitation,

I'm not talking about your candida diet. Some things on a candida diet can still be harmful to acne - like kefir and plain yogurt. Also, a candida diet may not do much if you're not getting enough nutrients and enzymes be eating tons of raw leafy greens and vegetables. You might have a problem with which you simply aren't getting enough nutrients.

I don't doubt you have leaky gut or digestive problems. What I doubt is that sunlight is your absolute main problem. Yes, it can be helpful and is quite necessary - but like I said, I spend maybe a mere 10-20 minutes a day exposed to natural lighting and still experienced success in my skin clearing.

I strongly suggest you try eating most of your food in it's raw state. This way, nutrients will not get destroyed and your body will be more nourished. Also, your body will have a much easier time digesting these foods. You could also try making "pre-digested" meals - like soups or smoothies. This way, your body won't have to struggle to break down the walls of veggies or fruits. It'll process them much easier and you're less likely to have them leaking into or irritating your system. You could also try digestive enzymes, I suppose. I wouldn't try making them a long term thing if you don't have to. Like I said, though, raw foods contain enzymes that get destroyed with cooking. So, you're better off sticking to mostly raw foods.

Colostrum and aloe vera juice are also pretty well known for their ability to help eliminate leaky gut.

I never used dairy products on the candida diet. It was like a candida diet plus an acne diet together. I might indeed have something like that, but I don't have any symptoms that would point to vitamin or other deficiencies. Also, that doesn't explain why I get clear when I fast.

I never cook my veggies. I eat a big bowl of salad 4-5x a day that consists of the ingredients I listed my last my post - safe stuff... Rice was the only warm thing I had had in a while. Before that it was only buckwheat and chicken, everything else was eaten raw. When I make salads I chop everything to tiny pieces so it's already a semi-smoothie lol. I've tried colostrum by the way, the first time it wasn't that bad, but the second time the initial breakout was too bad and I couldn't continue taking it.

Unfortunately I did not receive my garden of life supplements today, so they will probably get here tomorrow. I will be taking tons of enzymes and probiotics.

TO 436: Another interesting idea. Maybe stress is the root of it all. Technically by bringing back the foods I miss I would be one step closer to eliminating stress. Although I'm not the most stressful person in the world...

I'm not bashing anyone's theories, I love them. I just feel like I'm getting to a point where I have tried everything.

Okay, so when you stay on the diet listed below, is your skin a broken out or clear?

Cucumber, spinach, onion (three kinds), some other leafy greens, broccoli, leek, all kinds of cabbage, olive oil, salt (red salt without iodine), evian mineral water (that's all I drink), no brown rice andno coconut milk.

Edited by Dotty1

Okay, so when you stay on the diet listed below, is your skin a broken out or clear?

Cucumber, spinach, onion (three kinds), some other leafy greens, broccoli, leek, all kinds of cabbage, olive oil, salt (red salt without iodine), evian mineral water (that's all I drink), no brown rice andno coconut milk.

I think I did not give it enough time when I was on the elimination diet. Anyway, I am currently on the diet you quoted and still breaking out (two days without rice and coconut milk). I get pretty bad gas from the salad... Might be normal though because onion is known to cause gas.

I'm planning on continuing like this for a few weeks and see how it goes (+ enzymes, probiotics, -glutamine, omega3, cod liver oil and multi). It would really suck if veggies broke me out too.

Edited by hesitation

It might not seem like your stressing but you probably are

Its like when your playing a video game and you stress over the fact you cant beat that one level

it only gets worse cause you keep trying harder harder frustracted

but only when you calm down and take it slow will you beat that level

trust stress has a lot to do with it

it will help

try it for a week or two just dont think about it

look around go outside avoid looking at your face

just enjoy and be relaxed listen to music thats the key for me

It takes 8 days for my skin to become uninflammed from a food. If I eat protein, the swelling, infections occur for exactly 8 days. They are at their worst on days 3 and 4. So you really can't tell anything about your diet until around day 10.

To alternativista: I've read that topic many times and I'm trying to follow it. I sleep well, I work out. I should be healthy in theory.

I am losing weight like crazy on the vegan diet. I'm talking about lean muscle mass.

Is there such a thing as consuming too many nutrients?

EDIT: I think l-glutamine is breaking me out at the moment... I get cysts very rarely. After starting glutamine I've gotten two!

Edited by hesitation

What is your calorie intake like? If you're not sure, you can mesure/weigh your food and put it plug it into various websites such as nutritiondata.com, or even download cron-o-meter which is an awesome free program that monitors nutrient intake.

If you're eating vegan, especially on a rice and vegetable died, you have to be aware that the caloric density of your food is *much* lower than animals foods, primarily due to the higher water content and the lower amount of calories from fat. On the upside, you can petty much pig out on food without any worries.

I think it's rather hard to over consume nutrients if you're eating real food. Micro-nutrients that is. For example, if you ate 3000 calories worth of sweet potatoes in one day, you'd be over 100% of the RDA for a good 90% of the vitamins and minerals. Your beta-carotene intake would be over 20 000% of the RDA, but high doses of beta-carotene from foods have no reported ill effects (as far as I know) aside from orange skin, which goes away if when intake is lowered. If you're not stuffing 20 pills down your throat daily, you probably have little to worry about.

Macro-nutrients (fat/carbs/protein) are a lot easier to overdo though, but they're also much easier to monitor for most people.

The diet you're following is pretty much a replica of Dr Mcdougall's elimination diet. It's a starch-based diet and he's got a lot of pretty convincing information on his website. I've personally been on his program for about 4 months and my face is about 95% clear ( I did have the worst breakout of my life on the first month though) and I've put on a good 15 pounds of muscle. That's coming from a 6'4" guy who could not get over 150 pounds eating almost 4000 calories daily on those ridiculous bodybuilding diets.

I say stick to it for a while more, and check out Mcdougall's forum if you have questions. His team usually replies to everyone's questions in less than a day. Remember acne takes a good 14-15 years to develop in most people. You can't expect it t go away in a week.

Edit: Might want to cut out the oil/coconut for the duration of your elimination diet. Most advocates of this style of eating say that it's the excess dietary fat that's responsible for blood sugar problems, not carbohydrates. The way I understand it, excess fat ends up coating the cell walls and prevents glucose in the blood from entering the cells. In response, the pancreas produces more insulin and you end up with blood sugar problems ... I think. Look into the work of Dean Ornish, John Mcdougall, Colin T Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn and so on.

Edited by CharlesV