Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nettie1969

what to use on a 12 yr olds skin

hi, I am new to this site, I found you while trying to find out how to help my daughter...I hope you can help.

My daughter is 12, she has had what we think is acne for about a year now. She has always had the white milk spots, sometimes very large ones on her eyelids. Acne runs in my husbands family. It is something I never suffered with, I just get the odd pimple at that time of the month, so I don't really know how to best help her. In the past I have done wrong and bought harsh wipes and things from the chemist. I have just begun to research, as she is going through that awkward stage..she has braces and acne at the start of her teens, bless her. Also, we moved to France 5 years ago so I am not sure how things work here, and she has told me she doesn't want to go to the doctors.

I have been reading about the Regimen, but I am a bit unsure. Is it ok to use on young skin?

I have talked with her about skin care, and she is prepared to give a treatment a go, but doesn't want to go to the dermotologist.....I guess as she already has regular trips to the dentist she doesn't want to go see someone else who will make her feel uncomfortable.

I would really welcome any advice and help and look forward to hearing from you all.

ok thanks.

She does still get the little hard spots on her eyelids and around her eyes, but now she has spots all over her face too, and she has been really good lately at not picking. Only after I discovered this site and started reading about acne...so thanks for that.

She also gets really greasy hair and has to wash it everyday....again this has been since she was a small child.

I did take her to the doctor when she was about 5, but he just told me she had an overactive sebum gland and she may want to have laser treatment when she was older. But now she is older and now she suffers more than just the white milk spots. With the white spots we know they come out eventually, so we don't tend to touch them. But we need to try to get her skin on her face to calm down and follow some sort of regime.

netie, i really want to tell you that you shouldnt even think about putting BP on your 12 year old girls skin. no matter how many people come in here and tell you to do it. please dont do it. please.

i really dont know what to tell you, as acne at that stage is completely hormonal. it happens. try to get her to drink a lot of water

again, please dont put bp on your girls face

Go for a basic cleanser such as cetaphil or purpose and a non pore clogging moisturizer. Cut out the dairy/sugar. I'd shy away from applying BP to such young skin.

ok thanks.

She does still get the little hard spots on her eyelids and around her eyes, but now she has spots all over her face too, and she has been really good lately at not picking. Only after I discovered this site and started reading about acne...so thanks for that.

She also gets really greasy hair and has to wash it everyday....again this has been since she was a small child.

I did take her to the doctor when she was about 5, but he just told me she had an overactive sebum gland and she may want to have laser treatment when she was older. But now she is older and now she suffers more than just the white milk spots. With the white spots we know they come out eventually, so we don't tend to touch them. But we need to try to get her skin on her face to calm down and follow some sort of regime.

So these white spots; are you sure they are acne, or more like a sty? Or They could be an irritation. I once got lots of tiny little spots like that after a wind burn from being out in the cold and then swimming in chlorine... does she currently have a routine?

that's great, thankyou so much for your feedback.

The little white spots are the hard lumps that we called milk spots when she was little. She has always had them from a baby, they come and go. As I said sometimes on her eyelid they can get quite large and she is always conscious of them.

I will take your advice and get her into a good routine. We have stopped using really harsh cleansers.

The diet I am not sure she will go for!!!! you know that age, they love sweets and the odd pig out.

thankyou once again, I will get her to come on here and read through some of the posts.

that's great, thankyou so much for your feedback.

The little white spots are the hard lumps that we called milk spots when she was little. She has always had them from a baby, they come and go. As I said sometimes on her eyelid they can get quite large and she is always conscious of them.

I will take your advice and get her into a good routine. We have stopped using really harsh cleansers.

The diet I am not sure she will go for!!!! you know that age, they love sweets and the odd pig out.

thankyou once again, I will get her to come on here and read through some of the posts.

I began getting acne at around 11 years old and my biggest regret is not having gone to the dermatologist sooner. It took me a years of pain and heartache to finally get over my fear and get to the doctor. Thanks to the visit, I am now almost completely clear. If I had only gone sooner, I could have saved myself so much pain. Please tell your little girl the dermatologist is there to make her skin beautiful, not to ridicule it or her. And tell her, he deals with people everyday that have much, much worse skin problems than she does so she needn't be embarrassed in the slightest. He is only there to help. Plus the appointment always goes quickly with minimum discomfort. On a side note she is only twelve years old so make sure she follows the skin routine the doctor suggests or prescribes.

I wish you and your daughter all the luck in the world! I know what a nightmare it is to have acne from such a young age and I can only hope your daughter does not have to deal with it for very much longer. Much love : )

My 11 year old is getting very bad acne and I do not know what to do. Her dad's face is pretty scarred up and I do not want her to end up with that. Do u think Salicylic acid is too harsh?