Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basically for the past 5 years i have had acne to some degree. but until 3 months ago when i hit 18 it was pretty managable i.e just small blackheads and little pimples in general. however it has now changed to quite cystic acne with lots of nodules. i went to the doc and he gave me duac which i have been using religiously even though it gives me terribly dry skin and he prescribed me oxytetracycline antibiotic 500mg twice a day. although my acne has somewhat cleared in the two months that i have been using these prescriptions it is still very much still there with a lot of red marks which i think are made woorst by the use of duac (benzoyl peroxide) which is causing melots of stress. i have uploaded pictures, that for some reason dont seem to show how bad my skin looks in real life and would really like to know if people think that i should A) go for accutane-my doc said he would be more than willing to refer me B) continue on my regime with limited results or C) explore other routes such as retin-a or AHA lotions.

thanks josh

post-124650-1268562752_thumb.jpg

post-124650-1268562761_thumb.jpg

post-124650-1268562768_thumb.jpg

post-124650-1268562752_thumb.jpg

post-124650-1268562761_thumb.jpg

post-124650-1268562768_thumb.jpg

Edited by josh finlay

You're sure to get differing opinions. My suggestion would be move to the "next step" with the Retin-A.....etc. for a few months and if that doesn't do the trick discuss the Accutane with a derm, keep reading on here. Become familiar with the medication, results and all the side effects that go along with it. Most people get some side effects. It's a very, very inidividual decision whether or not to take accutane. There's no rush in making it. Good luck!