Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey there..

does anyone here take vitex to regulate hormones and menstrual cycles

because im beginning to get hormonal acne around my mouth and chin and i've read that vitex is a "miracle herb" for treating anything hormone related

what im wondering is ... has it gotten WORSE before it got better because i've taken it for only 3 days and i know it takes around 3-5 months to see visible results and im asking because i feel like the majority of the people on vitex see no slump and instead they gradually get better.. it doesn't work for some people and i hope i'm not one of them :( i used to be clear!! this is so frustrating

Edited by ArcadeFire

It'll balance your estrogen and progesterone, but I don't think it does anything for testosterone and DHEA. I used it and it REALLY helped my endo. It somewhat helped my acne, but now I am on spiro and I am not using it. I would like to use both but haven't gotten around to calling my naturopath to ask her if it will inhibit the spiro's action or vice versa.

It's worth a try and will help your periods. It will take 3 months to know if it helps you.

Edit: 3 days will not show anything. You may notice improvement in a few weeks.

Edited by Anti - Em

As already mentioned, it'll probably help estrogen and progesterone. I've read some sites where people have had great success with it - and others where it increased problems - including acne, hair loss, weird periods.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything that unnaturally alters hormones. It is possible to balance hormones with simply eating properly. Greens are good for this and so isn't raw. There's a site ran by a woman with PCOS who balanced her hormones (and controls her acne) by eating a raw food diet. That seems a much better alternative to the potential risks of Vitex.

ah thanks for the replies

i have another question about fish oil and omega 3

i've read that fish oil increases testosterone levels which can be good for guys but for girls like me who are trying to LOWER testosterone levels, should i stay away from fish oil for now

I gobbled Vitex a few years ago because of my hormonal problems. Because I did not find it working in small quantities, I took 1/3rd a bottle per day for while. It still didn't work.

After years of researching, I have found that hormonal imbalances are caused by diet. I THOUGHT i was eating a healthy diet but nothing worked. Almost 5 years later I've learned it is all food sensitivities that cause these problems. Unless we've injured our ovaries, there is no reason why so many of us have hormonal issues.

I have read so many articles that find hormonal issues are linked to diet. Move yourself onto a rice-staple diet (avoiding other grains), but eat many more fruits and veggies than rice. If you want to eat meat, pick fish and keep it around 10% or less of your diet. Avoid processed foods like bread.

This will eliminate most food sensitivities and you can see if your hormonal problems return to normal.

Edited by Dotty1

hmm some people are on spiro.. but would saw palmetto be another alternative

i read on curezone by a poster who said that saw palmetto is a natural form of spiro..

also another question

the worker at vitamin shoppe told me that if i have polycystic ovaries.. it'd be a good idea to go on a diet like the south beach diet.. i mean.. is this a good idea because a lot of things seem to be restricted while at the same time contradicting a healthy lifestyle.. fruits are prohibited and more meat intake is recommended

too much information!

They thought I had PCOS too. I have ALL the symptoms. I have since learned that it I am Celiac (and many celiacs cannot eat corn) and that was causing me to have all the symptoms of PCOS.

Ooh ooh! I do! I've been taking Vitex for almost 2 months.. I started taking it right after I got off birth control to regulate my hormones. I had one natural period after I got off birth control, 33 days after I started Vitex and stopped BCPS...As for skin, my skin was great on birth control, and when I got off, it was crap for the first and half of the second month... It's getting better as time goes by... But I also did a soft liver cleanse and completely changed my diet and exercise habit (eating mostly organic, doing pilates, yoga, qigong, weights and cardio)... and I'm sure that those changes contributed to my liver getting rid of the excess hormones left over by birth control.. My skin was perfect before birth control... so I'm hoping that it goes back to that state when I have it out of my system completely (synthetic hormones are fat soluble, it can take 1-12 months to get them out of your system if you don't take any other measures).

I just looked back at your post... My skin DID get worse before it got better.. I actually developed eczema under my nose (could be a result of liver cleansing?). I'm also taking evening primrose oil.

Regular exercise and balanced diet really help regulate hormones... How's your diet and exercise at this current time?

Edited by Polska Laska

yay! thanks for your response polska! really appreciate it

ive changed my diet to low carbs , no sugar (maybe one piece of fruit a day), limited meat and lots of veggies (or at least try to) and currently i'm not exercising but i need to change that. i've been thinking about just taking long walks instead for now and drinking lots of water

tomorrow i'm going to go out and buy a liquid multivitamin supplement, and saw palmetto.

another question: how long did your skin stay bad before it got better.. because i started taking liquid fish oil instead of the capsules and i've noticed that my skin got WORSE.. i'm not sure if this is because of the imbalanced ratio of omega3 and omega six or because its one of those "getting worse before it gets better" deals.. but i think i'll lay off the liquid fish oil for now

thanks!

Vitex works by improving pituitary function so it could potentially help all kinds of hormone issues.

I take it and find that it improves my hirsutism.

I've been taking Vitex ever since I quit the pill about 18 months ago. I take 1000mg per day. It really helps me with my time of the month issues. Periods are lighter and far less painful. But sadly for me, Vitex does nothing for my acne. After trying a number of things, I've found that B3 and Zinc clear my skin.