Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swys92

Oily/Combination Skin, Moderate/Mild Acne ... Cleanser and Moisturizer Suggestions?

Alright so as of late I've been using the complete Pro Activ system in the evenings and rinsing with water (in the shower) in the morning. I use it only in the evenings because; one, I don't want to bleach any of my clothes during the day, and secondly I believe it is to harsh for my liking.

Although it seems to clear my skin significantly (for when I wake up). I am looking for an alternative solution that doesn't involve as harsh of an approach. I tried using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and it didn't do much, if anything, for the oil problem (mainly on my forehead / t-zone).

Basically,

Pro Activ > Good, but; one, do NOT like bleaching, and two, although it works I want something more gentle.

Cetaphil > Didn't do much, skin got oily quite fast

Also, I should note that I tried using Dove Sensitive Skin Bar in combination with Aveeno Positively Radiant, and it seemed to be working although I failed to stay consistent with it because it seemed slightly drying and I wasn't exfoliating so my pores felt full of dead skin.

QUESTIONS >>> What's a good cleanser (the more gentle, the better) and moisturizer for oily/combination (acne-prone) skin? Something like Neutragena Oil-Free Foaming Facewash has always appealed to me but I am unsure if that would be gentle enough?

P.S. - The main type of acne I have a problem with is pustules, and in the t-zone and around the mouth.

Edited by swys92

kind of sad how i got more responses on yahoo answers than a website thats suppose to specialize in acne help.....

Sometimes it takes people a while to reply on here, but eventually we do!

I would recommend either Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser or Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. I've compared and they both have the exact same ingredients. I've used both and they are very similiar and both have great reviews. Both of these cleansers are as gentle as they come and neither contain ingredients that are irritating on your skin.

As far as the Proactiv goes, I personally hated the system. It was way too harsh and had ingredients that were too irritating, especially when used in combination with each other. You may be better off stopping using the Proactiv and trying a simpler skin care routine. The irritation of Proaciv may be making your acne worse. Have you considered trying the skin care regimen Dan recommends using BP? It is awesome and people have had great results! Check out the reviews. I'm not just saying this either, I've been on the regimen for almost a month and couldn't be happier.

As far as moisturizers go, everyone has a different opinion. I like to use Cetaphil at night because it is an awesome moisturizer, but find it too greasy to use during the day. So, during the day I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for Combination Skin. I also add a few drops of jojoba oil to my moisutrizer. Jojoba oil can actually help with oily skin, and decrease the amount of oil that is produced. Check out this link http://www.acne.org/jojoba-oil.php

Best of luck to you!

try to use the likas papaya herbal soap it is a very good cleanser for me...it dries out the pimples very fast..

I recommend Complex 15 for moisterizer, and I'm about to try a new organic cleanser that I ordered online that got awesome reviews, I'll let you know if I like it! The current cleanser I'm using and I've really liked is by Avene, but it has fragrance... Although the fragrance isn't bothering me, I'd like to try something without it.

Sometimes it takes people a while to reply on here, but eventually we do!

I would recommend either Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser or Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. I've compared and they both have the exact same ingredients. I've used both and they are very similiar and both have great reviews. Both of these cleansers are as gentle as they come and neither contain ingredients that are irritating on your skin.

As far as the Proactiv goes, I personally hated the system. It was way too harsh and had ingredients that were too irritating, especially when used in combination with each other. You may be better off stopping using the Proactiv and trying a simpler skin care routine. The irritation of Proaciv may be making your acne worse. Have you considered trying the skin care regimen Dan recommends using BP? It is awesome and people have had great results! Check out the reviews. I'm not just saying this either, I've been on the regimen for almost a month and couldn't be happier.

As far as moisturizers go, everyone has a different opinion. I like to use Cetaphil at night because it is an awesome moisturizer, but find it too greasy to use during the day. So, during the day I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer for Combination Skin. I also add a few drops of jojoba oil to my moisutrizer. Jojoba oil can actually help with oily skin, and decrease the amount of oil that is produced. Check out this link

Best of luck to you!

Thanks a lot! About the Clean & Clear Foaming Facial cleanser, I was considering buying it but was hesitant in doing so because of the active ingredient: Triclosan. I ended up buying Neutrogena Stress Control Power-Foaming Wash with 0.5% Salytic Acid because it worked for my brother.... It works well but my skin seems to get oily again after only a few hours.... I guess the main problem I am still working around is finding a moisturizer for oily skin.... I got the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer and even though it claimed to be light, I found it too greasy....

I'm debating between the Neutrogena Face Wash(currently using), Clean & Clear Foaming, and possibly trying J&J Head-to-Toe Baby Wash as I have heard good things about that.

Still looking for a moisturizer that won't make my skin oily though.... I've tried Aveeno Positively Radiant and Cetaphil's Daily Moisturizer and had a lot better results with Aveeno than Cetaphil.

Also, I need a good exfoliating product but haven't really come across anything, considering Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and Baking Soda.

Edited by swys92

I think Jilly meant to say "Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin" not "Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser". The sensitive skin version is clear in color and has the same ingredients as the Purpose cleanser. Neither contains triclosan.

I think Jilly meant to say "Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin" not "Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser". The sensitive skin version is clear in color and has the same ingredients as the Purpose cleanser. Neither contains triclosan.

Yeah I forgot to add the "sensitive skin" part...oops!

Oh alright, well do either one of you guys know if the "Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Wash: Sensitive Skin" is available in Canada? The only thing I could find at Walmart that even resembled it was the stuff with triclosan that I had mentioned.

And Jilly, I couldn't seem to find the Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture either, any simular alternatives that your aware of?

Thanks!