Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FeelingGood

Differin Saved Me

Hi! I want to start by saying that I have never once gone onto an online message board and posted anything. But, I have had such great success in getting rid of acne that I thought it was important that I share my message.

I have had moderate facial acne (mostly on my chin) since I was 11. I finally started using prescription medicine when I was around 18 and in college. I went from using Benzymycin and dox/monclycine (mild improvement), to using Retin A and finally Differin 1% and clyndamycin. I was on the Differin clyndamycin combo from probably age 21 to 26. At 26, I moved, got new health insurance and never bothered to get a new dermatologist. My medicine ran out, but my skin was good. I thought I was finally an adult and over this acne nonsense.

Sadly, last summer, when I was 30, I started breaking out again. And it got worse, and worse. Yes, I was under tremendous stress at work. So, I switched my birth control to Yaz and started using over the counter pads (Clearasil). This did nothing. Then, I self-prescribed myself Retin A (ie, I convinced my PCP to just write me the script). She did. I used Retin A micro for probably 7 weeks. I cannot even describe how horrible my skin got. IT was horrible...my skins texture and tone changed and it just didn't seem right. So, I stopped using Retin A and ta-da, my skin instantly cleared up. For two weeks.

Yup, the acne on my chin came back. ok, so I quit fooling around and finally went to the Derm. He prescribed me my old regimen - Differin 1% and clyndamycin. This helped, but I still broke out in a major way every 4 weeks (hello period), and 1 or 2 really bad weeks out of the month doesn't really feel like progress....I would clear up only to break out again. Man, I was so depressed.

Ok, back to the Derm. I see a new women and she ups my dosage of Diffein to 3% with Clyndamycin pads.

We're coming to the end here, folks. I have been on this regimen (Differin during the day, clyndamycin at night) since say, October, and it has worked WONDERS. Here was the hard-part: the first 12 weeks were HELL. My skin broke out more than it had ever broken out (in my memory). It was constant and it was ugly. But, I kept with it. And, as I had read on similar message boards, my skin finally cleared up somewhere right around week 12. And it has been smooth sailing since. I don't break out. Sometimes it looks like I'm going to, but nothing comes to the surface...it's amazing.

I strongly urge you to try Differin 3% if you experience adult acne. But, you have to stick with it. Keep reminding yourself that you are on track to have clear skin...in a few months you will. My suffering, embarrassment and doubt was completely worth my lovely skin now. People compliment me on my skin now and it kinda makes me laugh...if you only saw me last fall!

Here's some other important info:

I stopped using scrubs and exfoliants and switched to Cetaphil.

I take tons of vitamins.

I'm still on Yaz.

I work out regularly and eat relatively healthy (no overly processed foods).

Differin is expensive (50/tube on my insurance), but 1 tube lasts forever -- probably 9 months.

Clyndamycin is good as well, but I really think the Differin is what made the difference.

Just remember, you must stick with using the medicine. The leaflet might say 8 weeks of suffering, but expect longer...stick with it for at least 14.

I was given Differin. Was hoping I would have had the balls to stay on it longer than two weeks, I started getting that purging and freaked out....grr.

thank you so much for sharing. i'm on my 12th week of differin and i like to think i'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel after a rough past few months. posts like this just reassure me to be patient, so thanks for that. i'm glad to hear you have beautiful skin now =)

Thanks so much for posting this! I just started using Differin 0.1% cream about 2 weeks ago for my scarring so it's great to hear of other success stories with it! I haven't had any extra pimples or anything like that...just some extra blackheads which is something I've never really had to deal with before. I'll take a few blackheads over a full blown initial breakout any day though! lol

What a great way for people to try and stick it out too. I know the more I read about Differin the more I am willing to stick with it for as long as possible!

Obviously those who use retinoids have to use a high SPF sunscreen, so can I ask what product you are using? I'm not necessarily looking for something else, but I'm not 100% pleased with my current SPF moisturizer, so I am trying to find out what other Differin users like for sunscreen. Thanks!

I, too, have had great luck with differin.

I'm glad to hear it has worked for you.

For those who have just begun using it, stick with it! :)

I, too, have had great luck with differin.

I'm glad to hear it has worked for you.

For those who have just begun using it, stick with it! :)

I really plan on doing it. I am hearing such awesome stuff about Differin...I'm only mad I didn't do this instead of Taz years ago cause I would probably have had awesome skin these past few years! Argh. Thanks for giving us people just starting some hope :D

thanks man this gives me some hope.

my derm just gave me differin though i am unsure of its %

im having differin at night and audc in day.

lesser outbreak and less itchy so far about a week of using.

my derm didnt tell me about if i apply these 2 creams on my scars too or no?