Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amanda33

New and Clueless

I just made an account, and have no idea how to work this thing.

question:

just started accutane, DOES IT REALLY GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER? over how long should i expect my face to go downhill?

I just made an account, and have no idea how to work this thing.

question:

just started accutane, DOES IT REALLY GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER? over how long should i expect my face to go downhill?

Well, I'm on day 13 and my face has never looked so horrible. I'm still new at this so I'm not sure how long it will last. I'll let you know if I see any signs of improvement.....

Edited by Dez*

wow, I'm only on day 5 and nothing has changed yet. this makes me nervous!!! What mosturizer do you use?

Welcome to Acne.org, all three of you! : )

I've moved this thread to the Accutane Posts board, where I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find answers to all your questions.

And, Amanda33, did you get everything figured out? If you need help with your account, let me know. ; )

For me, it definitely got much worse before getting better. During month one, I didn't notice any changes really. Month two and three were both horrible. I had constant breakouts worse than I ever had before. Now I'm in the end of month four, and I finally feel like everything is going away.

I don't think my experiences were average though. From what I've heard, most people have a week or two of breakouts every now and again for the first month or two. Mine were pretty much constant during months two and three. I still worry that this is not going to go away completely.

I guess the point is: don't expect this drug to work miracles in the first few weeks. That way, when you do break out, you don't feel so let down. And if you happen to be one of those lucky people that start taking it and never break out again, you'll feel really great about it. ;)

I'm in my 5th month of accutane so I'm nearing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

In my case I did get quite a bit worse before it got better. In my second or third week of taking the drug my skin broke out horribly almost like it was purging all the junk out of my skin. But then another week or so afterward my skin's been clear ever since. In this I think I was lucky, I don't think it's usual to see such dramatic clearing so soon.

Best advice I think you can get is relax, your skin will get better. Just give the medicine a chance to do it's thing and start looking for good moisturizers asap.

I am in month three and have been breaking out and clearing since the beginning. I would say I never got what qualified as an IB. So, I did not get worse before better, but many do. Everyone is so different. Now in month three however, I seem to be clearing very quickly after a breakout, I've seen a signifcant reduction is pore size and oil production. Good luck! It's so hard not to worry about the initial breakout, I wa so nervous about it, and it didn't happen.