Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobinBoro

Acne/genetics

I do not think I will ever understand acne. I have never my whole life had an acne problem even as a teenager. My ex-husband never had an acne problem either - ever his whole life. Both of my children have had acne problems. Where genetics are concerned that doesn't make any sense. I have 2 siblings and only my sister had acne problems. My ex-husband has 6 siblings and I do not believe any of them had acne problems either.

Any insight to this would be great.

true aboout the 'skipping a generation' thing mentioned above being a possibility.

My mum tells me that her dad suffered with acne, God bless him.

It could be the over abundance of processed foods in our society today. I mean really, a McDonald's, a Burger King, and a Taco Bell, all within view while sitting in the drive through of Wendy's? Is that really necessary? :doh:

I think it's dangerous to oversimplify the cause of acne. I think there are multiple and varied causes depending on the person. By oversimplifying, we expect to change one thing and not have acne anymore. It's usually not that easy.

Hi RobinBoro,

Sorry to hear that your children are struggling with acne. In regards to genetics, one avenue to explore is a condition called "Non classic 21 hydroxylase deficiency" (I say "non-classic" because you would have noticed "classic" symptoms fairly early.) In order for this condition to develop, each parent carries a trigger gene and their offspring then have a 1/4 chance of developing it. Look it up online and see if the non-classic symptoms match any of your children's symptoms. It's one possible explanation from a genetic perspective. I've made several posts about this condition as I was just recently diagnosed with it after 12+ years of suffering through acne and it would have been helpful to have information like this quite a while ago.

All this being said, it could just be that your children's skin reacts to such things as food allergies/diet (gluten), soap allergy, etc. Body chemistry is such a vast topic and there are many complicated factors involved.

Best of luck,

Spiro

Like the people above me said I think it has more to do with the overall diet today than genetics.

Everyone in my family has perfect skin, so acne doesn't run in my blood either.