Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey.. I'm 19, male, from Florida. Been putting up with acne since 9th grade. Roughly 6 yrs now. After not wanting to touch Accutane with a ten foot pole, I've cracked and will be starting on Monday. I went to the derm today, and then did the blood test too. I'm anxious to start.. Nervous cuz of the side effects, but I'm preparing for 'em. I guess I'm ready to sacrifice short term comfort for long term happiness.

As far as dealing with the Accutane side effects.. I plan on taking my multivitamin, zinc, and fish oils. I heard the fish oils 'lube' up your joints so it don't make the aches as bad. So I'm gonna make sure I prepare myself beforehand so I ain't caught with my pants down. I got Aquaphor already for chapped lips.. and I plan on having it in my pockets, if not in my hand, at all times. I got the Cetaphil moisterizing cream for my face.. which I'll be applying, prolly like crazy. My derm was mentioning something about lotion.. I can't remember if he was saying using lotion for my face instead of my moisterizer tho'. I'll have to call on Monday to find out. I also plan to start using hand and body lotion.. as so I don't get encezma. Would cocoa butter be good, or what?

I'm a head to the store tomorrow and get some eye droplets incase my eyes get dry. Anything else I'm forgetting? Oh yeah.. I bought some Emu Oil. I was reading a log on here and I saw one of the guys mention it. Said its been working like a miracle on his red marks.. helping them fade much faster.. and it can also be very helpful as a moisterizer.

From what I know so far.. My derm is gonna start me out with 40mg/day for the first month.. and then he may raise the dose to 60mg later on. I'm gonna try to stay clean while on Accutane. As far as eating healthy foods, drinking water like its going out of style, exercising.. I'm sure I'll have to work out in my garage cuz the first few months will be pretty bad. I'm expecting lower back pain.. so I'll just concentrate on strict form and making sure I listen to my body, in terms of what I can work out on a particular day.

Also.. Exactly how bad is it if I were to be in the sun? I'm in the Army Reserves, and we have a monthly drill. I already told 'em I can't come in next month.. but I'll be there in May.. and I know we have a 2 week drill in June out in the field.. so I'm expecting I'll be put thru hell.

Any comments, suggestions, advice, whatever in the meantime...will be cool. Thank you.

Hey! :wavey:

Just wanted to pop on here to wish you lots of success with your treatment plan. I sincerely hope this will finally be the answer to clearing up your skin once and for all! As we discussed, be sure to check with your doctor regarding any supplements you plan on taking during your Accutane treatment and immediately after to be sure you can safely take those supplements. The last thing you wanna do is overburden your system as Accutane is powerful. Good luck!

Have a great St. Patty's Day!

Edited by JustaMomToo

I'm on Day 7.. So far I'm fine. A little dry skin, a little less oil, forehead is clearing of bumps, red marks on the sides of my cheeks are a little more noticeable. Had 2 whiteheads on my right cheek, they cleared up the next day. Skin is smoothe.. face is a lil red.. Really no breakout yet, as everything--as far as any bumps and pimples--is like pretty much going down.

Day 17

Face is looking great. Not as oily, complexion is starting to even out. No forehead bumps. Only have had 3 whiteheads and no new acne since I've started 2 1/2 wks ago. Lips are chapped a little.. Dry skin and scalp seem to be my biggest problem. I keep waking up with dandruff but I nip it in the shower. I no longer have to wash my face.. I just splash it with water and then moisterize. So far so good...

Damn, I should have went on this 2 years ago.

Edited by Mr. Untouchable

"Damn, I should have went on this 2 years ago."

haha As I read your last update I, too, was thinking it would have been great if you had gone on this earlier. However, you gotta admit, the view from the rearview mirror is always clearest! Plus, I also think you had to exhaust all your other options before taking this powerful drug. So glad to hear your success!

Hey!

I started accutane around the same time as you did, Ive been on it for 2 weeks...20mg for the fist week and 40mg after that, which is wat im on now for the rest of the month. So far I have had no breakout from it, and its seems to increase the speed that a previuos breakout goes away. I have actually had hardly any side effects apart from a rash on my arms and NO dryness which is weird...

are u experiencing much dryness yet? I assume Im not because its only been 2 weeks

Hey!

I started accutane around the same time as you did, Ive been on it for 2 weeks...20mg for the fist week and 40mg after that, which is wat im on now for the rest of the month. So far I have had no breakout from it, and its seems to increase the speed that a previuos breakout goes away. I have actually had hardly any side effects apart from a rash on my arms and NO dryness which is weird...

are u experiencing much dryness yet? I assume Im not because its only been 2 weeks

Are your lips still normal? Some people get dry lips in a few days!

@HereComesTheSun: thanks

@JAMT: :D

@hesitaton: Currently- on Acctuane? or before? Right now--Day 21--I still have a lil oil.. but not as bad as it was. Blackheads, esp on my nose, seem to be problem. I was a zit to the left of my mouth but its going away.. Its been there for a few days. I've only had a a handful of zits during this 3 weeks. Incredible improvement. None of 'em were worth any serious alarm.

@lovemetal41: My face gets dry. I longer wash my face with the Cetaphil cleanser.. instead I just throw a few splashes on my face, dry it, and then moisterize. I also put lotion on my body.. but I aint have no dryness there yet. My scalp gets dry.. I can go a few days without washing my hair, but this shit is making me get dandruff bad.. But I got it under control. My lips are a lil chapped, but nothing major.

My biggest side effect so far as been the lower back pains. I recently started working out again, and I can feel it. Its irritating. I take fish oil 1200mg in the morning with 50mg zinc and again at night with a multivitamin.

My biggest side effect so far as been the lower back pains. I recently started working out again, and I can feel it. Its irritating. I take fish oil 1200mg in the morning with 50mg zinc and again at night with a multivitamin.

@Sarah99: Thank you.. and yeah, it does..

Pro-Vitamin A (as natural carotenoids: beta carotene, alpha carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin) Betatene - 5,000 IU - 100% Daily Value

When I went to the derm to be prescribed Accutane, he said if it was a regular multivitamin then it should be fine.

Edited by Mr. Untouchable

My skin was lookin' so good today I went to the beach with 9 other friends.. I think I fucked up, lol.. I know a breakout is inevitable now. Sun always seems to do it.. and my red marks are showing too now. :confused:

Re-birthing this thread. I have a question for those familar with Accutane.

I completed my 5 month cycle last Tuesday (8/17). The first 4 mths I was on 40mg, one a day. I weigh around 126-130 lbs. During the course of those four months, I only had a minor breakout in my second month. Nothing too bad. Less than a handful of pimples.

The 5th month, I told my derm that though I wasn't breaking out anymore and my acne/red marks were fading tremendously, I still had oily skin (tho' not as bad).. and when my face would get red (I wouldn't use sunscreen unless at the beach, other times I'd just do my best to not let the hot ass sunlight hit my face), it'd be a noticeable 'flare.'

So since I wanted my oil gone, he upped my dosage 40mg but to be taken one a day, two a day, one a day, two a day, etc. My face started looking better. I finished my cycle last Tuesday with 2 pills- morning and night.

Well, he had told me the last derm visit if I want that I could go one more month. Nearing the end, I chose to go see him- on Monday, the day before I was to finish. He agreed that my face was very good, but that since I want my oils gone still- he'll up it 40mg every day for a mth.

All's great and dandy, I go to Target pharmacy and drop off my prescription. Later that day, they call me and tell me my insurance has required a 'pri-authorization.' Since an Accutane cycle supposedly lasts 5 mths, and I wanted to go an extra month to be on the safe side, they wanted to know why. I expected my derm to get on that asap.

Next day I finish my cycle. The NEXT fuckin' day--Wednesday--I get a pimple on my left cheek. I'm dumbfounded. Then that night, I get another one slowly starting to form up on my forehead below my hairline. Next day it was tryna come thru. Meanwhile, another one was coming in below my lip. Thats THREE!!! More than I had in MONTHS!

So Thursday, I still hadn't heard nothing about my prescription.. so I called Target pharm, and they told me they're still waiting on my derm for the pri-authorization. So I called my derm, and they said they planned on doing it later that day. They tell me that they faxed it to my insurance company, and are waiting for the phone call.. that they should get a call back the next day, and they'll let me know. Friday, no phone call.

Now.. its Sunday. Around this afternoon, I was in the store and looking in the mirror.. and a spot just above my upper lip was getting red. Only meant one thing- another pimple's coming in. Fuck. So now, 6 hrs later, sure enuff- I have one right there. AND I have ANOTHER one coming in--its getting red and I can feel it--in the middle of my bottom lip. I'm going crazy.

I dunno how the hell this can be possible.. Do you think its a breakout from the up in dosage- from my 5th mth? Or the fact that I stopped. Its been 5 days, and damn near five pimples! Granted they're not huge, but still.. they're red. Could it be the fact that I stopped?

I just started drinking (liquor) a lot the past week or two.. Even while on it, tho' I'd try to limit myself. Could it be the change in that? Cuz before these past few weeks, I hadn't had a drink since February. I've also begun to drink a lot less water, and I haven't been eating as much as I used to. (I cut out all junk food and fast food tho', about a month ago.)

When I first started my cycle, rarely did I take my pill with food. I either just took it with a glass of water, or I took it after eating fast food. For the most part, that was it. Though my skin definitely improved, could I not have gotten the full effects of this cycle because of that?

I experienced relatively no side effects this cycle. I had dry lips, curable with Aquaphor. My hair was dry, no problem with that. My lower back would ache if I changed positions (bent over, laying down), but I could cope with that. Didn't have no nosebleeds, altho' I was dry up there. Thats it really.

So, anyone who's read this post, can tell me what the hell is this?!?! Would be greatly appreciated- any comments, advice, whatever.

And what erks the shit out of me is the fact that my insurance company has the authority to disapprove of them giving me another month, if they "don't think I need it".. but shit, I do now.