Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BroadwaysBlackBelt

People who stopped taking Dairy

(Sorry. Still no enter key.) Uno: How long did it take for you to see results?//// Dos: Will taking supplements be just as ok?//// Tres: How did you Dairy lovers cope? xD Thank you so much for your time!!!

So many people on here say they are sensitive to dairy and that most people with acne are, but I have completely cut it out for months, on several occasions, with no effect whatsoever, good or bad. Hopefully it will work for you, but don't put too much hope into it.

Avoiding dairy will NOT cure your acne, it will lessen it.

For me it took less than a week.

Occasionally I crave dairy, but it's rare...you crave it less and less the more time goes by.

I really only break out if I eat a large amount of it. If I'm not binging on cheese or something, it doesn't seem to have any real impact on my skin. Ice cream does seem to consistently break me out, but there's also all that sugar. Just to be safe, I buy soy milk anyway and only have cheese if I'm eating out.

I haven't had dairy for about 3 years. The worst acne I've ever had in my life appeared about a year ago, so I don't think cutting out dairy did anything for me (I didn't eat any dairy because I was a vegan). I think cutting out both dairy and grains is more effective, which I'm trying right now, but some people seem to clear up just from avoiding dairy so you could always give it a go. I never craved milk products because there are so many alternatives, lots of chocolate bars, cookies, potato chips, etc. are milk-free. Now that I don't eat grains or sugar I can't have any of those though.

Avoiding dairy will NOT cure your acne, it will lessen it.

For me it took less than a week.

Occasionally I crave dairy, but it's rare...you crave it less and less the more time goes by.

Man you're lucky. It didn't even lesenn mine. At all.

1) It took about a week or so. You might break out at first, as you may with any dietary change. Everyone's different! :)

2) I don't believe in supplements ;) Doesn't mean you can't take them, I just think they're pointless. Milk is pointless to ingest, therefore we can get the same nutrients from other sources were humans originally got them from. You should also consider cutting out most refined foods (especially sugars) and adding lots of veggies to your diet. That's where you'll get the nutrients you need!

3) It's hard at first! I have almost no willpower when it comes to diet. It just comes down to the choice between feeling like crap all the time or feeling awesome; energetic. I still cheat though :shifty: Anyway, milk (and most "bad" foods) has addictive substances in it which make you crave it more and more. It does get easier as you go along :) I don't drink soymilk or anything like that, because in my diet, there's really no need for milk. I don't eat cereal, mostly because most cereals are made of wheat, and I have Celiac disease, and I drink mostly just water. When it comes to other treats, you can make a no sugar added sorbet by blending fruits in a blender (in moderation because of the sugar content). Also, a frozen banana cut up into pieces is a super yummy substitute for ice cream. In moderation ;)

It gets easier. Soon, the way your healthy lifestyle makes you feel outweighs the cravings. Most of the time :)

I like your attitude. Keep it up ^_^

1) Immediately. My skin was far less oily and inflamed.

2) Taking supplements are fine. Try Calcium and magnesium. Also, spinach has a very high content of calcium itself.

3) There are many options! Almond milk, hemp milk (one of the best!), coconut milk, etc. There are yogurts made with coconut milk. Ice cream with dairy subsatutes. You'll never get bored.

Just to be safe, I buy soy milk

Sigh. Soy is probably the worst milk you can drink. It's one big scam and extremely hazardous.

Amen. Soy is actually not a healthy food at all and should not be consumed.

Sigh. Soy is probably the worst milk you can drink. It's one big scam and extremely hazardous.

Thirded. Soy can really screw with your hormones, is incredibly allergenic, and has been shown to cause thyroid disease.

Thirded. Soy can really screw with your hormones, is incredibly allergenic, and has been shown to cause thyroid disease.

*points to Japan*

*points to Japan*

*points out that soy is NOT a staple in Japanese culture*

Soy is not a staple in Asian culture, like people seem to think. They do use more soy in condiments, but again, not as a staple. A lot of the soy we eat here is derived from soy proteins - something the Japanese eat a small amount of. In America, the FDA recommends 75mg of isoflavones per day from soy. The Japanese consume around 10mg on average. Even a study PERFORMED in Japan by Japanese scientists pointed out that the isoflavones in soy could suppress thyroid function.

And lucky for me, I have a friend from Singapore that I went to college with. Her father owns a company (insert envy) and she travels and stays in Japan frequently - multiple times a year. My mom wanted to start eating tons of soy for my father's heart and I was in a discussion with her about it. She made the statement that she wasn't sure why people here thought that Asian cultures ate so much soy, because they don't. We then found an actual Japanese grocery store in our city - ran by Japanese people who imported food from Japan. Naturally, I had to have her read a lot of the labels to me and frankly, aside from soy sauce, there wasn't much soy present.

It's a common misconception.