Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jonima

Tanning Has No Benefits

I have some breakouts (thank goodness it's only some), and I want to tan before spring break (go ahead and tell me I will only develop skin cancer).

I am aware now of the risks involved with tanning, and I understand them. However, they will not deter me from going. I guess I partly ignore these risks because I want to get rid of my breakouts, and partly because I will not worship the UV rays. I figure this will be a one time thing.

I have read that tanning is like "a band-aid" for acne; the acne will clear up initially and then it will come back worse later.

These breakouts sound so ominous and inevitable. Are there any ways to prevent or lessen them once they vanish under the temporary tan (besides constantly tanning)?

--Maybe moisturize, aloe vera, anything?

:)

I suppose moisturizing would help to prevent or lessen post-tanning breakouts because tanning dries out the skin and acne; the sebaceous glands recognize the dryness; they produce more oil; these would lead to breakouts; however, moisturizing could counteract the dryness yet prevent the breakouts??

I find the sum a fantastic healing source.

besides it is far healthier to not wear sunscreen as you also block the vitamin d which helps prevent the uv rays cancer.

So you have prob more chance wearing sun block, but the industry dont want you to know that.

I went tanning, I have a virus from the shitty tanning salon. I guess they don't clean their beds well; I have a cyst-like bulge on my forearm from the beds, there is no doubt about it.

My skin is nice and tan all over, but I broke out a little. I have whiteheads around my jaw where I normally break out. A couple on my temple, and some unusually on my jawline. I haven't seen any acne there in a while. So overall, I think the tanning did not dry my skin out completely because I have been moisturizing crazily out of paranoia of breaking out.

Overall, I could not avoid the fate of breaking out. My acne was Jocasta, and I was Oedipus.

You can get similar or probably better results by using Blue LED therapy for your acne. But you avoid the dangerous UV rays from tanning. It's a similar principle where the light kills bacteria in the skin.

Blue light therapy does work but it's an ongoing daily commitment - you have to expose your acne to the light at least once a day for a few minutes. I used Tanda but after about 6 months I got fed up with using it. If I skipped a day I'd break out again! Luckily I have found supplements clear my acne up. I now take 50mg of zinc and 500mg of no flush niacin (b3) daily and I'm clear.

My acne is overall clear now, save several pimples on my cheeks. No biggie.

I am tan, I am happy, I am clear(er).

My dad helped me lance and drain the staph infection that I received on my stomach, elbow, and forearm.

I have not gone tanning since Sunday night because of the infections, so I broke out a little with whiteheads on my cheek; little tiny whiteheads localized on my right cheek. I washed my face, and because they were so dry, they came right off.

My acne is overall clear now, save several pimples on my cheeks. No biggie.

I am tan, I am happy, I am clear(er).

My dad helped me lance and drain the staph infection that I received on my stomach, elbow, and forearm.

I have not gone tanning since Sunday night because of the infections, so I broke out a little with whiteheads on my cheek; little tiny whiteheads localized on my right cheek. I washed my face, and because they were so dry, they came right off.

If those don't heal within a week, I'd go to the doc to have them checked out as resistant strains of bugs are more common now.