Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Anyone done an ALCAT allergy panel test?

And is there anyone who can shed light on the ELISA tests? What is the difference between the ELISA and ALCAT tests?

I have not tried the ALCAT test, but I have heard of it and read some online reviews. I would like to try it sometime . . . most of the reviews are pretty good. I am sometimes skeptical about online reviews though . . . It would be awesome if it worked well and you found out something usefull. I just wouldn't want to swear off a type of food just because a controversal test told me I was alergic to it though, you know what i mean??

From what I understand, it uses a blood test for the test which is more accurate than a scratch test but not as accurate as a stool panel test.

If anyone has more info on this, let me know!

Rather than looking for antibodies, the Alcat tests for a different marker that is the end result of most reactions and is therefore supposed to get fewer false positives, find allergies that involve various antibodies rather than just the one type most allergy tests look for and also find food intolerance reactions that don't involve antibodies.

There's more info in the very good allergy threads I link to in the Good Things thread.

Dotty,

The best way to test for a food allergy is to go without that food for two weeks, and then when you reintroduce it, see how you feel. For example, when a person with wheat allergies does this, they may notice their energy go up, allergies reducing, etc., all to come back when that food is reintroduced. I have actually read that other ways of testing are not very accurate, so the elimination test is probably your best bet.

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

Although I thought that was the best way too, I have found that there are so many foods contaminated by gluten that even an elimination diet didn't work. I was very fatigued a few years ago so I tried a gluten-free diet. Nothing worked. This time I tried a diet of only green veggies and it worked. I have since discovered that GMO corn causes a gluten-like reaction for many Celiacs. So I was still terribly exhausted on my gluten-free diet.

I feel sorry for all the Celiacs out there who tried a gluten-free diet with corn. It really confuses the elimination diet.

Wow, that's sounds so complicated! Good for you for having the discipline to just try all green veggies. I'm glad you got the problem figured out - being fatigued all the time would be no fun. I've seen a couple other of your posts, and you are impressive with all you are doing/trying!! You definitely seem to be on a good path. :)

Although I thought that was the best way too, I have found that there are so many foods contaminated by gluten that even an elimination diet didn't work.

Real food like a sweet potato, kale, collard greens and lentils aren't contaminated by gluten. Everyone should be avoiding processed foods therefore it shouldn't be that hard to avoid gluten. Just eat hypo-allergenic foods. They do not contain gluten because they are fruits, vegetables and a few legumes, meats and fish. Corn is not hypo-allergenic.

Edited by alternativista

Guest Timehealsall

So i recently got the alcat test done. Allergic to egg yolk, milk, corn, chick peas, etc etc