Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floggers1

Accutane gave me my life back

I can't stress enough how wonderful Accutane has been for me. I took it a couple years ago for some pretty bad acne-I think I was on it for about 6 months, and got up to 80mg a day (I weigh only 120 pounds so that was a lot). That first dose of Accutane cleared me up about 50%, to the point where life was bearable again. I took it again beginning last June and ending in December, and my skin is now 100% clear, something I haven't experienced since I was a child (I am 24). I used to dream about what it would be like to be able to wake up in the morning and LEAVE the house without spending an hour attempting to hide scores of pimples and red marks, or what it would be like to be able to walk with my head up, not trying to hide my face from everyone. Now I can do those things, can live my life without bloody acne getting in the way of everything I do. This would sound silly to anyone who has never suffered from bad skin, but for all the people who don't want to leave the house because of their acne, or who turn down invites from friends to go out, or who think they'll never have a boyfriend...it might not sound so silly.

I also had NO side effects from the Accutane either time, and I am really prone to dry skin. I used moisturizer on my face morning and night, just under my makeup, and tried to drink water. My skin was no dryer than it ever is in winter, no chapped lips, no hair falling out. No initial breakout either!! This time my dosage was at a steady 60mg/day for about five months.

Anyway, I've rambled on and on, and I just wanted to say, TRY ACCUTANE. Obviously it's different for everyone, but for me personally, this drug literally gave me my life back. Every morning when I wake up, the first thing I do is always look in the mirror for new zits, because it's a force of habit. I haven't found one in months and months and I can't describe how happy that makes me. I do live in fear that the acne will come back, and if it does, I will beg my dermatologist for another course of Accutane.

Well I'm glad it gave you your life back, but unfortunately I think Accutane robbed some of mine by giving me severe hair loss.

Sure it worked great, but the amount of hair I lost was so bad, I had to cut it extremely short. It has been 7 months since I've stopped taking it and my hair hasn't grown back yet.

The good news is I'm only getting about one zit every 2 weeks as opposed to once every day, but I think that's because I cut out dairy and reduced my stress level, and not because I quit accutane 3 months early.