Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shogun180

To take or not to take? My story. Need advice.

Basically ive been suffering from acne for as long as I can remember.

It makes me extremely depressed, keeps me indoors and has kept me very secluded from my friends.

My acne isn't terrible... I rarely get major breakouts, but when I do get them they are often cystic... hang around forever and worst of all... I am fair skinned, so the red marks they leave last forever.

So even tho I get "occasional" pimples, it always looks like I've just had a breakout. I never really have a day where I look totally clear... not in years anyway.

It seems to be that if I put nothing on my face... my acne goes away. The problem is... that isn't practical.

1. I refuse to go out in public with red marks... so I use a bit of cover up now and then.

2. I am an actor and occasionally HAVE to wear makeup

3. Skin gets dry... need moisturizer now and again... that breaks me out.

3. Life... I mean every once and a while things come up and some sort of product has to go on your face... food falls on it while eating... etc etc... all of which equals a breakout for me. Doesn't matter if something is non-pore clogging... doesn't matter if it's expensive. The sheer virtue of anything on my face (even natural products) breaks me out.

My question is this... even tho my skin can be acne free as long as I put NOTHING on... should I go on accutane in an attempt to strengthen my skin?

Please also keep in mind, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING... topicals work for a little while if at all and some just break me out, because again... I'm using ANYTHING on my face.

Thanks guys.

i understand what your growing through... with anyone that has active acne, everything becomes "obsessive" actually. and everything suddenly shifts into focus and we start blaming everything...

if you have like different seasons of up and down acne, with acne being CYSTIC in nature, leaving dark marks, i would suggest you go on accutane on a low dose. it totally helped mine, i am at 20mg/day and on my 6month, and ive been pretty much clear, leaving my red marks being able to heal, like FINALLY.

Well if you take it, there's a good chance most of your hair will fall out, that's one of the drug's side effects, and I don't think your acting career would go far with a half a head of hair.

Have you tried exploring other treatment options?

Basically ive been suffering from acne for as long as I can remember.

It makes me extremely depressed, keeps me indoors and has kept me very secluded from my friends.

My acne isn't terrible... I rarely get major breakouts, but when I do get them they are often cystic... hang around forever and worst of all... I am fair skinned, so the red marks they leave last forever.

So even tho I get "occasional" pimples, it always looks like I've just had a breakout. I never really have a day where I look totally clear... not in years anyway.

It seems to be that if I put nothing on my face... my acne goes away. The problem is... that isn't practical.

1. I refuse to go out in public with red marks... so I use a bit of cover up now and then.

2. I am an actor and occasionally HAVE to wear makeup

3. Skin gets dry... need moisturizer now and again... that breaks me out.

3. Life... I mean every once and a while things come up and some sort of product has to go on your face... food falls on it while eating... etc etc... all of which equals a breakout for me. Doesn't matter if something is non-pore clogging... doesn't matter if it's expensive. The sheer virtue of anything on my face (even natural products) breaks me out.

My question is this... even tho my skin can be acne free as long as I put NOTHING on... should I go on accutane in an attempt to strengthen my skin?

Please also keep in mind, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING... topicals work for a little while if at all and some just break me out, because again... I'm using ANYTHING on my face.

Thanks guys.

Are you being followed by a dermatologist? Have you tried antibiotics? They work very well for some and then you could avoid using a topical treatment, but maybe will have more success with moisturizer and/or make up.

I feel for you. I have fair skin and the red marks show up FOREVER!

Well if you take it, there's a good chance most of your hair will fall out, that's one of the drug's side effects, and I don't think your acting career would go far with a half a head of hair.

I'm gonna call you out because it seems to me your trying to scare the OP, hair loss isn't all that common on accutane and generally once a person stops the treatment their hair returns. You also say all of their hair will fall out? Most people that experience hair loss on accutane only have minimal loss, your not going to go to bed with a full head of hair and wake up looking like my uncle Larry the next day. Don't use scare tactics, thanks.

Back on topic: I think that you should talk to your Derm, if he/she believes accutane is the correct course of action to take- do it. However, don't do so lightly, accutane is a serious drug and I advice you to do your research.

I'm gonna call you out because it seems to me your trying to scare the OP, hair loss isn't all that common on accutane and generally once a person stops the treatment their hair returns. You also say all of their hair will fall out? Most people that experience hair loss on accutane only have minimal loss, your not going to go to bed with a full head of hair and wake up looking like my uncle Larry the next day. Don't use scare tactics, thanks.

Back on topic: I think that you should talk to your Derm, if he/she believes accutane is the correct course of action to take- do it. However, don't do so lightly, accutane is a serious drug and I advice you to do your research.

DITTO!!! I agree with this post 100%

It's fine to describe your experience, but don't intimidate people, they are coming here for research in order to make an informed decision.

Edited by enaid

hey. Seriously take advice from me. I know you dont know me but seriously some people on this website encourage medication cause it worked for THEM. Every single person has different DNA, every person reacts differently to this, some people get ALL the side effects + extra side effects, some get NONE. Me, well i got severe back pain which lead my body building career into a wall.

I was in bed and couldnt move for 2 days and im still suffering from it, its been like 2 months now.

Man im not telling you not to use it, but if you decide you want to stay alert for the first 10 days, see if you feel any side effects that really effect you eg: hairloss, backpain, muscle pain, ball shrinking haha etc. Just watch out this drug isnt something to joke around with, it has really bad side effects.

Try Retin a with clindamycin phosphate. it works im on it now. most people say it doesnt because it gives you a bad IB then they stop and claim it doesnt work. stay with it for a MINUMUM of 3 months. i GAURANTEE it will work. Best of luck man. my advice stay with topicals not orals. :P

DITTO!!! I agree with this post 100%

It's fine to describe your experience, but don't intimidate people, they are coming here for research in order to make an informed decision.

Wow you discredit everyone elses opinions because they're rooted in self-testimonies, then turn around and tell the OP to take a prescription topical because "it worked for you". Strong logic here...

Umm no I'm not trying to scare him I'm just trying to warn him about this side effect that could happen to him. I mean look at the OP's post, he seems VERY concerned about his outside appearance, for god's sake he even says he REFUSES to go out with red marks, and says he HAS to wear makeup while acting. I fear if he gets the hair loss side effect, he'll become even more upset and become even more withdrawn.

I'm personally speaking from experience, as I went from super thick hair to almost bald, I've probably lost about 70% of my hair, so from my personal hell, I'm just trying to warn him that this could happen to him. Besides, don't you think you're setting himself up for a huge self esteem blow if you try to say "Oh yeah, hair loss doesn't happen that often, you won't lose that much anyway", and if he starts losing 70% like I have, then he might come back and say "WTF, I thought you said this doesn't happen often!"

It may come off as "scaring" him when in fact I'm just trying to warn him that hair loss could happen and if you look at my post, I didn't say he was going to go 100% bald (half a head of hair). So I apologize if it came off as intidmation when I'm just trying to warn him. The way I typed up my post, I hated this hair loss side effect so much I guess I was too blunt in typing my message. Seriously, to the OP, this drug is serious stuff, it's like making a deal with the Mafia, they'll give you what you want, but they'll take a lot out of you in return.

Edited by csmike

Umm no I'm not trying to scare him I'm just trying to warn him about this side effect that could happen to him. I mean look at the OP's post, he seems VERY concerned about his outside appearance, for god's sake he even says he REFUSES to go out with red marks, and says he HAS to wear makeup while acting. I fear if he gets the hair loss side effect, he'll become even more upset and become even more withdrawn.

I'm personally speaking from experience, as I went from super thick hair to almost bald, I've probably lost about 70% of my hair, so from my personal hell, I'm just trying to warn him that this could happen to him. Besides, don't you think you're setting himself up for a huge self esteem blow if you try to say "Oh yeah, hair loss doesn't happen that often, you won't lose that much anyway", and if he starts losing 70% like I have, then he might come back and say "WTF, I thought you said this doesn't happen often!"

It may come off as "scaring" him when in fact I'm just trying to warn him that hair loss could happen and if you look at my post, I didn't say he was going to go 100% bald (half a head of hair). So I apologize if it came off as intidmation when I'm just trying to warn him. The way I typed up my post, I hated this hair loss side effect so much I guess I was too blunt in typing my message. Seriously, to the OP, this drug is serious stuff, it's like making a deal with the Mafia, they'll give you what you want, but they'll take a lot out of you in return.

If you didn't mean to scare him than I apologize. You have to realize though that in your post you came across as suggesting that everyone who takes accutane will lose half their hair. I wanted to inform the OP that this is not so, and it irritated me that you made the generalization. Of course, since you've actually experienced hair loss associated with accutane the first thing your going to want to do is warn someone who is considering it.

The one point I think we can agree on is the fact accutane is a ridiculous drug. While some people may escape with zero side effects, many others, like yourself, come out of their treatment worse off. The OP stated he had tried "everything" which is why I advised him to talk to a derm about accutane. But, I also advised him to do his research and make an educated decision. Despite what I or anyone else on this site has to say, people will make the decision that they feel is best for them. Which is why they need to educate themselves on the topic.