Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have noticed that a lot of members are struggling to live their lives because of how they feel about their skin.

What is it about the outside world that scares you so much?

For me, it stems back to my school days, some of my old girlfriends turned their back on me one day and and started ripping on my skin, calling me names, etc. It was the betrayal that hurt me. Now I feel that I will be targeted every time I go somewhere new, I get very anxious if I have to be around a lot of people at one time (at the store, cinema, gigs, etc) and even though my skin looks ok now, I still can't look in the mirror in public restrooms (I swear the lights there hate my scars).

What is it that keeps you locked up?

Same, it's worst when you're dealing with the people you know and expect them to understand that this thing happened beyond your control. No one wish for acne, so why make fun of people who have it?

The acne have gone down but the scars are just everywhere. Red spots, black spots. I don't even get out of the house on daylight anymore, even my neighbours barely see me.

Although it's a pain, i do check myself on the mirror on the restrooms. Better to have an oil free face with zits than an oily one.

Just a tip, those who mention your face aren't really true friends, the one's that respect and understand your conditions and like you for your true self are. I'm happy i have those people in my life.

I agree. Some members seem to want their skin to be clear so they can feel "beautiful" and maybe start being noticed by people for the right reasons. I'm the total opposite. I just want to be left alone, i'd like my skin to clear so I can slot into that middle part of society where you just don't get noticed since you don't look special or anything.

It took almost 6 years I believe for me to become completely fine with my acne. I began getting it around age 12, and all through middle school I became more quiet, and in high school I pretended to be fine but really always had a problem with how I looked. I was very good at hiding it except when home, where I lashed out at my mom quite a bit.

For me, the turning point came when college occurred. I didn't want to 'start over' necessarily, but I wanted to truly dig deeper and find out who I was. I couldn't do that while hating myself, so I took the steps towards loving who I was, all the parts of me....even in the imperfect parts. It didn't happen instantously, but small changes in how I looked over time, such as fixating on the fact that I was wearing a nice shirt that day or my hair looked nice....gradually gave me a more positive outlook on myself. These days I am completely content, no matter if I have a breakout or not (which I still do at times).

Another element for me was my faith. But I understand that that doesn't pertain to everyone. Regardless, it is worth it to take those steps towards being okay with yourself. There is no such thing as having clear skin to 'be yourself'. Acne doesn't hold you back, you decide to hold yourself back. From what? Only you can decide that. =)

That's great you had your faith, Kairasa, I could have really used something like that when I was going through the worst of it (my parents were very supportive though so i'm glad I atleast had them).

And i'm amazed at your self confidence, that's the place I would like to get to some day, where I just don't fixate on individual things and focus more on the whole picture.

One day :)

I really hope you can reach that place one day Chikorita. =) And not to sound cheesy, but you can always gain faith...God never abandons anyone.

Haha, well I hope you do. ^_^ and if you ever want to chat about it, I'll be here.

Regardless, nice to meet you. =)

I have noticed that a lot of members are struggling to live their lives because of how they feel about their skin.

What is it about the outside world that scares you so much?

For me, it stems back to my school days, some of my old girlfriends turned their back on me one day and and started ripping on my skin, calling me names, etc. It was the betrayal that hurt me. Now I feel that I will be targeted every time I go somewhere new, I get very anxious if I have to be around a lot of people at one time (at the store, cinema, gigs, etc) and even though my skin looks ok now, I still can't look in the mirror in public restrooms (I swear the lights there hate my scars).

What is it that keeps you locked up?

What scares me the most dear, is when I walk around and am feeling real good about myself and then one jerk-off makes reference to my skin and I feel like I have to throw down right there

my skin is clear most of the time, but i still get breakouts, and it does make me want to stay in sometimes. i don't know why i still get like that because when my acne was at its worst, i felt i handled it much better. i was more self-conscious in general, but a few pimples wouldn't make me freak out. i guess experiencing some type of freedom from my skin is addicting.

Ive always been kinda self conscious about my looks and acne just makes it worse. Its never been severe but if I get a big red pimple its like I can feel people staring at it. When I get a breakout I just dont really feel like talking to people. That doesnt mean I'm weirdly shy or anything. I just dont have the desire to approach people. I dont think im really that good looking to begin with so its like acne is another strike against me that I cant really afford. Thats what upsets me the most

i really hate acne & i hate being arouund people .

i hate when immmature ppl make comments like " oh my god" or " get some proactive"

it makes me wanna hide in a hole & it seems like eveyrone has flawless skin & they take it for granted

iknow id look so much better without acne & scars

fml.

I have been lucky enough to not get any snide comments, but i think people have been too nice to me. I just know that they are thinking about my acne the way i saw in their eyes. I felt everyone judged me.

i hate when immmature ppl make comments like " oh my god" or " get some proactive"

it makes me wanna hide in a hole & it seems like eveyrone has flawless skin & they take it for granted

fml.

LOL at your name!!! :clap:

i got that short straw too, my parents were very loving and supporting when my acne was at its worst, but they were both very beautiful people ( i lost my dad to cancer 2 yrs ago, still kills me everyday), my mother can pass for 10 yrs younger than her age, my brother looks like her except muscled and my sister is pretty and one of the genuinely nicest people ive ever known...and then there's me, ugly, nerdy me...its a strange mix, i stick out everywhere and still get passed over, one of those 'at least ur smart' situations

I'm amazed people would do that... Those people are 100 times more ugly than any acne could ever be. They will have to bare that burden the rest of their lives, and it won't be an easy one to carry. At least you can live with a clear conscience, knowing you are way better than them.

Its so hard. I just dont like people pointing it out/trying to help. Its so annoying to explain that its a condition and not because im not eating enough fruits or drinking enough water, or not washing my face properly. I am also embarrassed because now I look a whole lot different than I used to. I also dont like the stares, makes me self conscious. I never wanted to stick out from the crowd and because of this condition I clearly do. Meh.

fml.

I get it everytime too... and I'm so tired hearing it over and over again.

This is the scenario that pisses me off:

One day inside the pharmacy I was looking for a good moisturizer when suddenly...

LADY PHARMACIST: OMG! Your acne looks awful!

Then around 10-15 people inside the pharmacy turned around to see me.

YEAH I HAVE ACNE! SO WHAT????!!

It's not acne! It's an allergic reaction to inconsiderate assholes. And the fact that you can see it means........................

I have been cooped up inside for days on end because of this bloody disease or whatever it is, acne!

GOD I HATE IT!! I had it since I was like 13/14, but for some reason I took no notice and didn't care, but out of the blue I guess after puberty my mind flipped in reverse and now I care way to much to the extreme.

I hate how my face is, even though I have seen people on here with mcuh more severe acne I just hate the stuff, it's left me with dark spots, redness and depression. I don't go out hardly at all now and I'm only 16 I should be having the time of my life, out partying and what not.

I think I have a psychological issue with the whole ordeal, because I realise my acne isn't even that bad and my scaring as well, but somedays when I have one big spot I can't stand myself and get so depressed, I also cannot look in certain mirrors and avoid looking at my face in certain lighting or angles because of how my acne looks in the situation. The worst part is there have been days to which I've awoken to skin I've actually loved and those days I've felt so confident and happy, it makes me so down to realise I could be feeling that way.

It's even worse when I'm at college and there's people with there picture perfect skin not a blemish or scar it makes me feel like im the dirty guy in the room, and I get paranoid and assume people are looking at my skin or acne and commenting on it. The thing is i'm properly the person who washes the most and cares for my skin the most out of my class, to have the worst face even though I take more care and there are people in my class with perfect skin from nothing makes me feel so down.

Not to mention I'm already alienated due to my race etc I do get a lot of racist comments on top of everything and I've been bullied since high school for all kinds of crap, I've just never truly felt accepted and I think I attribute my acne to that as well because it make me different and stand out.

Edited by Max Quin

i get told a lot by my family 'you'd be so handsome if your acne didnt scar, shouldn't have picked it' or some bullshit like that which makes me wanna run away from them and never show my face again, like they had to deal with it, those fucking assholes