Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
verysadperson

Accutane Diffuse Hairloss

I'm a 23 year old male who took accutane July 2009. As many of you are aware hairloss was listed as a side affect. However when I talked to my doctor he said the hairloss caused by accutane was only one jump in the hair cycle and you would look like you would 6 years in the future. He said only regions that are typically affected by male pattern baldness would see any loss. Well I took 40mg of accutane once a day for two weeks ( he had me on 40 mg once a day instead of 20 mg twice a day) and my ENTIRE head thinned out. Not only did I feel like I lost 50% of my hair thickness but the actual hairs themselves that are left are thinner then what they used to be. I immediately stopped taking accutane and went to my doctor. He said because I was on such a small dose of accutane and I was on it for such a small amount of time I would be ok and it should grow back. Well it is now March 2010 and nothing has gone back to normal. I went back to the doctor again and said he does not know why it is not growing back. I'm really depressed and extremely angry because of this. I had such nice thick hair before and now I can see my scalp even when my hair is long and it is dry. Male pattern baldness does run in my family but it doesn't start until they reached their forties. What happened to me? Has this happened to anyone else? I really hope someone will respond because I am extremely sad and taking accutane is now the single biggest regret I have in life and I am absolutely miserable. Can someone please tell me what is going on? I hate life because of this. And my acne came back. I only took the drug for 2 weeks and I was on a low dose.

I was on 20mg for 5 months from October 12 2007 to March 2008. I haven't recover entirely and scalp itching persists till now. The good news is, I don't shed as much hair as before. But the bad news is, some of the hair that was lost never regrow again.

I spoke to my doctor recently about this and he told me that most of the so-called "Hair Thinning" is simply attributed to dryness, thereby making the hair appear a lot thinner than it actually is.

He also told me that contrary to popular belief we don't lose hair when we are stressed... rather when we are stressed we do not lose any hair at all... it is only after the stress subsides that we lose all the hair we didn't lose during the stressful period IN ADDITION to the regular hair we lose everyday... hence why this appears to be higher than normal hairloss.

So don't get overworked... I know this can appear horrible and the idea that it might be "permanent" is probably making things worse.

Maybe try a hot oil treatment... go to a hairdresser and inquire about moisturizing dry hair... conditioner alone is not enough typically.

I can tell you just from my hair (not on accutane yet)... the "thickness" of it looks DRASTICALLY different depening on the day and what I have done to it.

Be strong, think of clear skin and have faith that your hair isn't really thinning... and if it is, IT IS TEMPORARY.

Uhm, obviously his hairloss is not Temporary...He last took accutane in July of 2009, is now 2010...Hair loss can be permanent. Causes either TE, Alopecia or if MPB runs in the family it will speed up the process.

See the hair loss thread and MAX is right some may not ever regrow

Edit here is the link to the thread

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/answers-d...40#entry2827918

Edited by oli girl

Excuse me? Are you a doctor? Are you a psychic? How can you say its NOT temporary. It has been less than a year. Why would you needlessly scare someone like that. You have NO idea what may happen to his hair in the coming months. It has been just over 6 months... he may see substantial hair growth in the coming months.

You know no more than I do. "Obviously it's not temporary"... "Obviously" you don't have anything better to do than come on here and scare the crap out of someone who's already scared.

Absolutely look into products and treatments that may help but don't for a second think your hair is permanently stuck this way, it is FAR too soon to tell.

And ignore fear-mongers on this site.

I am not going to argue the issue... One your not even on Accutane to even comment and two for your information NO I am not a Dr, but I am married to one.

Do your research

*Moderator edit - personal attack removed*

From what I've researched it can take 18 months or more for your hair to regrow after accutane, but I seriously doubt taking 2 weeks worth of accutane could make you lose all your hair in the first place. You just have bad luck and lost your hair early. It's not the end of the world, and not *moderator edit - rudeness removed*

If it is that bad, shave off the rest of your hair, stop crying about it, and go lift some weights or something. I mean, if taking accutane and losing some hair is the biggest regret you have in your life at age 23, you really need to get out more...

and of course your acne came back, you only took accutane for 2 weeks. I'd be surprised if it even left in 2 weeks to be able to make a come back...

Wow. Some of you guys really don't empathize with the folks on here.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who've taken accutane and have had little-to-no side effects, and it has been the best thing in the world for them. Then there are others, like Oli Girl and Verysadperson, who have had the opposite. Everyone is different, and since even the makers of accutane aren't even sure how the drug works, we the patients have no idea how it will work with different people.

I feel you, Verysadperson. I took a very low dose of accutane (alternating between 20-40 mg, every day/every other day) for only two months and my hair thinned out considerably all over. I had very thick, strong hair previously. It is now over a year since my last accutane pill and I'm still shedding like crazy, and the hair still left on my haid is thin, brittle, and weak. I have done everything in the book - minoxidil, emu oil, aloe, leave-in conditioners, supplements (biotin, vit d, etc.) and my situation has still not resolved. And I can say with a fact that accutane ISindeed the biggest regret I have in my life. I have chronic dry eye, dry sinuses, eczema, and other perm. side effects. I am just lucky and thankful I didn't get anything worse.

Just as acne is crippling physically and mentally, losing your hair while you're still young can be equally (if not more) devastating. Pimpstick, I'm sure your outlook would be a bit different if you suddenly lost most of your hair (and yes, I lift, have a great body if I do say so myself, and am in otherwise great shape - it still SUCKS). No one can truly feel how someone's feeling unless they've gone through the same thing. And as a hair loss sufferer due to 'tane, I can say it is one of the worst blows ever to my self-confidence. What I would give to rewind time and not make the decision to take this drug. Some pimples are nothing compared to dramatic hair loss/thinning, or any other permanent & painful side effect from accutane for that matter.

Edited by tp30

I am just wondering if you drank a lot of water-stayed hydrated-had really good shampoo-changed anything while on accutane???? I am starting accutane soon and trying to make a list of what to do while on accutane so i dont get the side effects some people have been getting. What about eye drops -saline wash for nose- vitamins-E-fishoil ????? Did anyone do any of these things to maybe help out the dryness that accutane does to your body--ie suck the life out of it?????? its been a while since you all checked in---so how is the hair growth????

Side effects are caused by your bodys chemisty, just drink water, eat right and moisturize and cross your fingers. some peoples scalps are super dry yet they dont lose any hair during or after their course, derms just say its dryness because they don't know the real cause of it. and still hair loss is very uncommon in accutane, abit of hair shedding that you dont even notice when you look at your hair in a mirror is more common. speaking with people over the internet that got bad side effects "is" common, thats what the sites for :D

I feel for you, VerySadPerson. I really do. I know this might seem lame, but you should try Nioxin shampoo/conditioner. I know you've messed around with a lot of stuff, but it actually really helped a friend of mine who had some hormonal change that caused her hair to thin out. It's a little pricey, but it's good. It even helped my itchy/flaky accutane scalp.

Sorry that this sounds like an advertisement, I really didn't mean for it to.

This sounds like what happened to me :( Some nights I cry thinking back, there's not much you can do abotu it sorry.