Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gripy

Microdermabrasion after Accutane?

I know you're most likely going to say something along the lines of "You have to wait 3 months after Accutane!" But I think our dermatologists tell us to wait this long so we can't sue them or something if we do get permanent skin damage, so we wait until our skin is pretty back to normal(3 months). I have pretty normal skin, not really that sensitive so I don't think it's that big of a problem. My derma's nurse said 2 weeks after treatment oil will begin pumping again in my skin, allowing my skin to heal from temp damage from microdermabrasion, so I can begin home treatments then. I believe her, because hey, she's a nurse? She also examines my skin a lot more than my doctor, so I don't think she would give me bad advice knowing my skin type and what not. I bought "Neutrogena Healthy Skin Rejuvenator" a couple weeks ago and I'm hoping to begin with it in 2 weeks (Monday was first day off Tane:)) for my big pores, discolorations, and rough skin. Good idea or nahh? Let me know :D

you need to wait. there are reasons why you have to wait. when you are accutane, your skin get thinner because your skin is being renewed a lot quicker. and that is also why you red marks seem to take forever to fade. plus since your liver has been through a ROUGH course, it will not perform to the fullest. your liver is main organ that produces proteins and enzymes, etc to heal your body when you get scratches, cut, lesions, etc. so if you dont wait long enough to do your microderm then you will have a higher chance of causing damage to your face. but then again everyone is different. but honestly, you just got done with accutane so why risk having your face going through something else. I would say topicals are fine as long as they dont have harsh chemicals like bp, aha, acids, retinoids, etc. use sunscreen. or wear a hat. the sun can be just a damaging as a microderm. probably worse.

Thank you!

Yeah my derm is having me start Epiduo in 2 weeks and I think that'll be harsh enough, but thanks for the advice, I think ill wait a couple months before microderm.

You're really supposed to wait 6 months.

I am at 6 months next month and I am starting it then. The waiting sucked (!) but it's worth it to do things as recommended. I wouldn't want to have problems because I didn't wait.

You're really supposed to wait 6 months.

I am at 6 months next month and I am starting it then. The waiting sucked (!) but it's worth it to do things as recommended. I wouldn't want to have problems because I didn't wait.

My derm gave me the all clear at 4 months.

Really? Well I guess all derms have different opinions. But one thing I have noticed is that lately when I do get a pimple, it always leaves behind a dark mark, and I never really got scars from the mild pimples that leave dark marks behind now. I really don't want to experiment with what microdermabrasion could leave behind so I'm going to wait at most 6 months before sanding my skin lol. Thanks for helpin out!!!