Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bdonpowerlifter

Thinking about raw veggie diet

So basically I want to try a raw vegetable only diet to see once and for all if anything I'm eating is effecting my acne. I basically only eat organic meats and fish, eggs, fruits and veggies, and occasionally organic cheese, butter, and whole wheat bread. I eat so many foods in a day that there is no way to tell what, if anything, is breaking me out. There is a slight problem though. I am a pretty small guy, 5'4 115 pounds, and I am afraid that only eating vegetables, even for a few days, will make me lose weight like crazy. I tried a three day apple fast about a year and a half ago and lost 12 pounds in those three days. When people saw me they thought I was seriously ill. Plus, I am a muscular guy and I don't want to lose all my hard work just for something that might not even work. Is there a better way to go about finding out if my diet is having an effect? Or is there some way to do the vegetable diet without losing a bunch of weight?

After reading about another users success with a mainly raw diet (gMARIAs) I've been thinking about trying it as well. My main concerns with it is knowing I'll probably never be fully satisfied on that diet, but also I'm pretty skinny as you are and I don't want to lose more weight either.

Your diet sounds a lot like mine. Im not sure if it has helped my skin, but the meat/veggie with occasional whole grains has really helped me cut a lot of fat. I eat dairy some too but mainly in the form of why.

If you're going to do this diet, you may very well lose weight. And keep in mind that it isn't just a diet - it's a lifestyle change. It's not something you start and stop when you've seen results.

When I was eating "healthy" by most standards, I was still eating whole wheat/grain breads, oatmeal, and things like that. You have to remember that organic cheese is still a dairy product and most whole wheat breads contain high fructose corn syrup or added sugar of sorts. I ate meat and veggies for about a week before adding in fruit. My skin cleared up, but after switching to a mostly raw diet, my skin pretty much had cleared up entirely - red marks and all, within a couple of weeks. Actually, after the first week, I wasn't getting any new breakouts, but when I started eating tons of raw foods, my skin went into some weird hyper healing mode and it healed remarkably fast. I'm sure this isn't typical, but it was a wonderful little effect for me.

Basically, if something NEEDS to be cooked before it can safely be consumed, I don't eat it. (Meat doesn't actually need to be cooked.)

If you're worried about weight and want to stay muscular, there are fatty foods you can consume to aid you. Avocados, nuts and seeds are relatively high calorie foods you can eat. You also just need to make sure you're eating a lot of vegetables and perhaps your body can handle more fruit carbs. You won't look ill if you're eating the right amount to meet your body's needs. You may even have more energy. I know I sure do. I don't feel like I need a nap everyday. My boyfriend keeps reminding me of how much more alert I seem and how much more energy I'm showing.

A purely raw veggie diet would be TOUGH - though it might be a good way to distinguish your sensitivities. I'd probably at least keep a small amount of meat in your diet if you're concerned with losing too much weight too quickly. Then you can start adding in raw fruits to see how you react, and so on. Just remember to wait I think a few days to a week before determining whether the food affects your skin or not.

I tried this diet for 1 months, lost a lot of weight , and fast, had extra energy, but acne was at it's worst and did not improve a bit.

I'd pass...

You have to constantly eat... I mean every hours, to the point, where it gets annoying.

Why get rid of the meat and fish? Those things don't cause acne. Cut out the wheat and diary instead and you have a serious chance of curing your acne (paleo diet), plus you won't feel like crap all day which you will on a veggie diet like the one you described. If you don't eat animal products you don't get all the vitamins your body needs to function. I used to be a vegan so I know this.

I'd say eat tons of raw veggies if you want to, but don't cut out that good organic meat unless you're going for wild meats instead. A protein deficiency won't clear up your skin.

How will that prove 'once and for all' if something you are eating is affecting your acne? You could still eat foods that affect your acne on a raw diet due to intolerance or glycemic load for example.

A much better idea would be to stick to hypo-allergenic foods, which also tend to be very good moderate to low GI, nutrient dense foods. More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574130

If you are really afraid of losing weight, try including only brown rice to your diet. Either that or avocados, they can help keep on weight.

I know rice isn't raw, but it mostly hypoallergenic and can help keep some weight on.

I did a veggie-only diet for 2 weeks and did not include nuts or seeds. My skin cleared up perfectly. That was when I realized it might be protein. I tested my theory for six months and everytime I found that protein caused the breakouts. If this happens to you, you can try HCl.

Same here... Veggies, fruits, brownrice - safe foods for me. When I brought in beans I broke out. I think protein breaks me out too. I wouldn't like to lose all my muscle mass. Will eating tons of fat instead of protein help me keep what I have right now?

I did a veggie-only diet for 2 weeks and did not include nuts or seeds. My skin cleared up perfectly. That was when I realized it might be protein. I tested my theory for six months and everytime I found that protein caused the breakouts. If this happens to you, you can try HCl.

"The following symptoms have been recorded, beginning with those perhaps most likely to be indicative of B12 deficiency.

1. Itchy or tingling tongue. The tongue suddenly itches from time to time without warning. This occurs on the edge of the tongue, along one side or the other or at the tip. Some individuals experience stinging, pain, or tingling instead of itching.

2. White spots in the skin, resulting from melanin becoming absent in the area. These often occur on the outside of the forearm, but may occur in other places. The longer these spots are there, the whiter they get. As time goes by, the spots become very dry and flaky to the extent that small raw spots of skin may be exposed.

3. Sharp stabbing, tingling pain in the palm of one or both hands. This occurs suddenly and for no apparent reason in a spot directly below the ring finger, approximately where the first palm crease is. If B12 deficiency is not treated, a tingling pain may begin to occur along the outside edge of the hand, starting from the wrist. This pain occurs when the wrist is extended.

4. Sores at the corners of the mouth, sometimes extending along the edge of the lip. These are raw spots, not blisters, and they tend to come and go.

5. Nerve shock in the side of the body. It can be felt coming on a few seconds before it hits, and then it hits almost like a mild but deep electric shock and quickly subsides. It can occur at the side of either hip or on either side of the upper body, along the ribs. It can occur consecutively in at least two or three locations, one right after the other.

6. Shortness of breath, but without chest pain. This can occur when walking just a few yards.

7. Eye twitch, usually in one eye or the other. It can occur on the eyelid or just below the eye.

8. Facial pain, usually on only one side of the face at a time. This pain varies so much that it would be difficult to describe all the possibilities. This can present as a dull pain in the cheek bone right underneath an eye, or a sharp shooting pain across the forehead, sometimes coming downward from the scalp to the edge of the nose by the eye.

9. Tingling along the back of one or both thighs, starting at the hips and shooting downward.

10. Memory loss and/or disorientation.

11. Migraine headaches. These may be preceded by a temporary blind spot in the center of the field of vision, usually lasting about ten minutes, and sometimes followed by facial pain under the eyes. After the blind spot vanishes, there may be zigzag streaks through the vision that may last up to hours. Even in the same person, there may be extreme variations in the headaches themselves. They may be quite severe with nausea or they may be virtually nonexistent.

Migraines of most individuals have causes other than B12 deficiency, but migraines of certain individuals diminish or stop completely after they are treated for B12 deficiency.

12. Irritability and/or depression and/or personality changes."

If you're going to do this diet, you may very well lose weight. And keep in mind that it isn't just a diet - it's a lifestyle change. It's not something you start and stop when you've seen results.

When I was eating "healthy" by most standards, I was still eating whole wheat/grain breads, oatmeal, and things like that. You have to remember that organic cheese is still a dairy product and most whole wheat breads contain high fructose corn syrup or added sugar of sorts. I ate meat and veggies for about a week before adding in fruit. My skin cleared up, but after switching to a mostly raw diet, my skin pretty much had cleared up entirely - red marks and all, within a couple of weeks. Actually, after the first week, I wasn't getting any new breakouts, but when I started eating tons of raw foods, my skin went into some weird hyper healing mode and it healed remarkably fast. I'm sure this isn't typical, but it was a wonderful little effect for me.

Basically, if something NEEDS to be cooked before it can safely be consumed, I don't eat it. (Meat doesn't actually need to be cooked.)

If you're worried about weight and want to stay muscular, there are fatty foods you can consume to aid you. Avocados, nuts and seeds are relatively high calorie foods you can eat. You also just need to make sure you're eating a lot of vegetables and perhaps your body can handle more fruit carbs. You won't look ill if you're eating the right amount to meet your body's needs. You may even have more energy. I know I sure do. I don't feel like I need a nap everyday. My boyfriend keeps reminding me of how much more alert I seem and how much more energy I'm showing.

A purely raw veggie diet would be TOUGH - though it might be a good way to distinguish your sensitivities. I'd probably at least keep a small amount of meat in your diet if you're concerned with losing too much weight too quickly. Then you can start adding in raw fruits to see how you react, and so on. Just remember to wait I think a few days to a week before determining whether the food affects your skin or not.

Yea, I think I may just try to very slowly only go to vegetables and stay on that for a week. I'm pretty sure dairy doesn't do it for me though because I've cut it out completely for months with no change and I've also, for about 6 weeks, consumed half a gallon of milk a day with no difference to my acne either. Who knows what it could be. Something I do find interesting is that when i completely cut out junk food (cookies, cake, candy, fast food, pizza, stuff like that), while I still get acne just the same, when I do decide to eat a burger or a couple slices of pizza once in a while, I always break out from it. And my acne is worse now (21) then in high school when I ate bad food all the time.

Edited by bdonpowerlifter

"The following symptoms have been recorded, beginning with those perhaps most likely to be indicative of B12 deficiency.

1. Itchy or tingling tongue. The tongue suddenly itches from time to time without warning. This occurs on the edge of the tongue, along one side or the other or at the tip. Some individuals experience stinging, pain, or tingling instead of itching.

2. White spots in the skin, resulting from melanin becoming absent in the area. These often occur on the outside of the forearm, but may occur in other places. The longer these spots are there, the whiter they get. As time goes by, the spots become very dry and flaky to the extent that small raw spots of skin may be exposed.

3. Sharp stabbing, tingling pain in the palm of one or both hands. This occurs suddenly and for no apparent reason in a spot directly below the ring finger, approximately where the first palm crease is. If B12 deficiency is not treated, a tingling pain may begin to occur along the outside edge of the hand, starting from the wrist. This pain occurs when the wrist is extended.

4. Sores at the corners of the mouth, sometimes extending along the edge of the lip. These are raw spots, not blisters, and they tend to come and go.

5. Nerve shock in the side of the body. It can be felt coming on a few seconds before it hits, and then it hits almost like a mild but deep electric shock and quickly subsides. It can occur at the side of either hip or on either side of the upper body, along the ribs. It can occur consecutively in at least two or three locations, one right after the other.

6. Shortness of breath, but without chest pain. This can occur when walking just a few yards.

7. Eye twitch, usually in one eye or the other. It can occur on the eyelid or just below the eye.

8. Facial pain, usually on only one side of the face at a time. This pain varies so much that it would be difficult to describe all the possibilities. This can present as a dull pain in the cheek bone right underneath an eye, or a sharp shooting pain across the forehead, sometimes coming downward from the scalp to the edge of the nose by the eye.

9. Tingling along the back of one or both thighs, starting at the hips and shooting downward.

10. Memory loss and/or disorientation.

11. Migraine headaches. These may be preceded by a temporary blind spot in the center of the field of vision, usually lasting about ten minutes, and sometimes followed by facial pain under the eyes. After the blind spot vanishes, there may be zigzag streaks through the vision that may last up to hours. Even in the same person, there may be extreme variations in the headaches themselves. They may be quite severe with nausea or they may be virtually nonexistent.

Migraines of most individuals have causes other than B12 deficiency, but migraines of certain individuals diminish or stop completely after they are treated for B12 deficiency.

12. Irritability and/or depression and/or personality changes."

Take a sublingual form of B12 (a tablet that melts under the tongue). Don't take B12 that is digested in the stomach. Many times people don't make the "intrinsic factor" which is needed in the absorption of B12. Also, I read on a research site that it appears we need 4,000mg of B12 per day.

Edited by Dotty1

More suspect than fish is fruit and nuts. If your worried about weight, it'd probably be better to eat a slice of fish than a bunch of fruit.

Edited by manchuriken

Yea, I think I may just try to very slowly only go to vegetables and stay on that for a week. I'm pretty sure dairy doesn't do it for me though because I've cut it out completely for months with no change and I've also, for about 6 weeks, consumed half a gallon of milk a day with no difference to my acne either. Who knows what it could be. Something I do find interesting is that when i completely cut out junk food (cookies, cake, candy, fast food, pizza, stuff like that), while I still get acne just the same, when I do decide to eat a burger or a couple slices of pizza once in a while, I always break out from it. And my acne is worse now (21) then in high school when I ate bad food all the time.

YEA.....?? What the $%$#.. I eat 10 times more healthier now then when I did in my early-mid high school years. (now im a sophomore in collage) and I seem to get acne worse now then when I was eating bad food all the time in high school. :wall:

Edited by Eazy D

Think of it this way. It's not just about what you ARE eating, it's about what you AREN'T eating. If you aren't getting enough of the right foods, your body isn't nourished or in proper working condition and it'll show through your skin.

This is why raw can be handy. When you cook foods, you diminish their nutritional value. You don't get the enzymes, minerals, or nutrients that you do when they're consumed raw. However, some foods have certain vitamins and minerals that are actually more easily absorbed through LIGHT cooking - like kale. And when you cook, never use a microwave. Just a second of radiation can destroy enzymes in foods.

You also have to realize that what a lot of people consider "healthy" isn't really all that healthy. For instance, a lot of people would consider this healthy: Fat free turkey lunch meat on whole wheat bread with light mayo, iceberg lettuce and tomato with a side salad with iceberg lettuce or some variant of fat free yogurt. They ignore that most commercial breads have high fructose corn syrup and most lunch meats have tons of bad additives. Iceberg lettuce also doesn't have much nutritional value and fat free yogurts can still contain a great deal of sugar and/or other negative additives. And you say you've cut out dairy, but how closely do you read labels? Tons of things have dairy derivatives. You might THINK you've cut out dairy, but haven't.

Most "health" foods in stores are basically processed crap with less calories. Less calories =/= healthier.

One other factor is length of time. As much as NOBODY wants to hear it, and as much as it's been babbled over and over again - you cannot fix your skin overnight. There is no quick fix. It could take MONTHS before seeing adequate results. Some people are lucky enough to experience success in a shorter period of time. Others may take longer. Patience is key. 3 months may not be enough to reverse the damage done to your body and skin.

If you plan to take on a veggie only diet for a while, then definitely be prepared to lose weight. Veggies don't contain that many calories. This is also one of the reasons I eat fruits and small portions of meat. However, it's not like the weight will be difficult to put back on once you start reintroducing foods that you know don't affect you. And if you do decide to eat a mostly raw diet in the end, you don't need to eat all day. You may need to eat a bit more, but if you're still eating fruits and some meat, then you should be fine.

More suspect than fish is fruit and nuts. If your worried about weight, it'd probably be better to eat a slice of fish than a bunch of fruit.

Says who? Each person is different. Someone may not react as well to the mercury in that fish, but have no negative reactions to a bunch of fruit and vice versa.

People have their own personal tolerances and intolerance to foods.

GMarias - I definitely made sure to cut out all dairy for those 3 months. I only ate whole foods, nothing in boxes or cans or anything, so nothing I ate for those months even had an ingredient list (except for bread, but there was not dairy in it). I'm certainly not a professional or anything, but I would think that due to the fact that I am only 21, 3 months of absolutely no dairy would be enough to determine if my skin didn't like it. Maybe not, but I really feel like it shouldn't take longer than that. I'm sure it is not dairy and that it is something else, I just need to find what "something else" is. My mom's side of the family is the only one that's ever had acne, my dad's side has always had perfect skin, and sadly I got most of my mom's traits while my sister takes after my dad. She grew out of it in her early 30's without changing diet or anything (back then everyone still believed that it had nothing to do with food) so I am assuming that I will too eventually. Of course I would like to try to solve the problem before simply growing out of it but itf it comes down to that then it should not be too much longer now. However, I started getting acne at 14 and my mom got it in her mid 20's, and had until around 32 she said, so there is no telling wht time it will be for me.

Edited by bdonpowerlifter

We'll probably be trading our pimples and infections for wrinkles and white hair. :) It is like swinging from one tree branch to the other. :dance:

We'll probably be trading our pimples and infections for wrinkles and white hair. :) It is like swinging from one tree branch to the other. :dance:

haha you're probably right. Not sure why I find that funny, it actually pretty much sucks.

GMarias - I definitely made sure to cut out all dairy for those 3 months. I only ate whole foods, nothing in boxes or cans or anything, so nothing I ate for those months even had an ingredient list (except for bread, but there was not dairy in it). I'm certainly not a professional or anything, but I would think that due to the fact that I am only 21, 3 months of absolutely no dairy would be enough to determine if my skin didn't like it. Maybe not, but I really feel like it shouldn't take longer than that. I'm sure it is not dairy and that it is something else, I just need to find what "something else" is. My mom's side of the family is the only one that's ever had acne, my dad's side has always had perfect skin, and sadly I got most of my mom's traits while my sister takes after my dad. She grew out of it in her early 30's without changing diet or anything (back then everyone still believed that it had nothing to do with food) so I am assuming that I will too eventually. Of course I would like to try to solve the problem before simply growing out of it but itf it comes down to that then it should not be too much longer now. However, I started getting acne at 14 and my mom got it in her mid 20's, and had until around 32 she said, so there is no telling wht time it will be for me.

Even cutting out dairy isn't enough for some people - as you've clearly shown. Cutting out all processed foods, like the bread you've been eating, should help. 3 months is a standard rule - but not an exact guideline. It may take you 3 months to START seeing extremely minor improvements. It could take you 6 months to achieve clarity or even longer.

And don't get your hopes too high. Just because your family members grew out of it doesn't mean that you will. Some people have acne where nobody in there family ever did. Some people never grow out of it.

My friend has a family history of severe acne. A while back, we were talking about how frustrated we were because neither of us grew out of it, but everyone around us did. Nobody in her family has had acne outside of their teenage years - except her.

Long story short, you are not your family members. Your body is different and just because they grew out if without having to make dietary changes doesn't mean you'll have that same luck.