Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

guys this just kills me. i have had terrible skin since ace 10. fought it my whole life. took accutane at age 20 and currently on claravis at age 38. my husband had bad back/facial acne as well that was cleared up with accutane.

my daughter is 12 and is having terrible breakouts. lots of blackheads, whiteheads, small pus filled crud, and today i noticed a fairly large cyst looking redness right between her eyebrows. it makes my heart so incredibly sad that she is having to go through the same crap i did. only i will not make the mistake my mother did. i have already taken her to the dermatologist. shes been on topical crap which doesnt really help. shes now on solodyn which worked ok for me but i have seen nothing for her so far - 4 weeks.

its bad people and i'm just wondering what age would isotretinoin be feasible?

guys this just kills me. i have had terrible skin since ace 10. fought it my whole life. took accutane at age 20 and currently on claravis at age 38. my husband had bad back/facial acne as well that was cleared up with accutane.

my daughter is 12 and is having terrible breakouts. lots of blackheads, whiteheads, small pus filled crud, and today i noticed a fairly large cyst looking redness right between her eyebrows. it makes my heart so incredibly sad that she is having to go through the same crap i did. only i will not make the mistake my mother did. i have already taken her to the dermatologist. shes been on topical crap which doesnt really help. shes now on solodyn which worked ok for me but i have seen nothing for her so far - 4 weeks.

its bad people and i'm just wondering what age would isotretinoin be feasible?

I'm sorry your daughter is battling with acne! It's very unfortunate that acne is hereditary. I wish someone would come up with a cure, instead of temporary treatment. It's great that you have taken her to a dermatologist already. Better to start now before it gets too severe. For a lot of people the topical treatments don't work, they didn't do anything for me and my acne was not severe. Hopefully the solodyn will help. I did a little research and the websites I found said both sodolyn and accutane are not suitable for people under the age of 12. So, your daughter is the right age. You should talk to the dermatologist next time you go and ask about accutane. I know that a lot of medications take a while to help treat acne. So, maybe four weeks just hasn't been long enough yet? Some take up to three months before true noticeable results are shown.

Have you considered starting your daughter on Dan's regimen using gentle cleasner, benzoyl peroxide and a moisturizer? Before you consider accutane, you could try this. Since solodyn is an antibioitic and not topical, there is no reason why she couldn't do both. Many people have had very positive results with Dan's regimen, even those with severe acne. You should check out the pages under the "Get Clear" tab and look around at the other pages on the site. They are very helpful! Best of luck to her! :)

oh i'm all too familiar with the "give it time" speech. its difficult to make sure she washes, puts on the topicals, and takes her meds without sounding nagging. i think trying dans regimine would help but she would be the one to have to take the initiative to actually do it. right now i dont think she would. i am finding out that these preteen years are going to be a roller coaster.

our derm is great and one of 2 in our town that still prescribe accutane (claravis/amnesteen). i know we will have to wait it out but next visit i plan on impressing upon him that i cannot have her go through the terrible acne that i did. my scars are still so visible. not to mention kids are cruel. emotional scars can last forever. :*( shes too smart, taleted and beautiful to have go through that.

My daughter is 13 y.o. We have pretty good results with Palmer's Evertone Acne Rescue Kit. You can find it at Walmart in the African-American hair care section (I don't know why) for $20. It is available at Palmer's website but it is much more expensive there.

It is easy to follow and smells delicious. The acne wash and daily acne treatment lotion have salicylic acid, overnight acne cream has benzoyl peroxide. We haven't used the acne mark fade cream from this kit yet. This kit dries skin a little bit like every acne treatment but not too harsh for kids.

Please don't rush with anti-acne pills! They cause terrible side effects especially for preteens.