Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mumble

Phisohex, have you heard of it?

Hi guys, I've nearly finished my bottle of cleanser. It is the SkinB5 Acne Control Cleanser. I've used two bottles of it (2x 200mL bottles) since late December, so that's pretty good. But since the only way to get it is to order it online at SkinB5.com, I just can't bother ordering it again. So I'm trying to think of another cleanser to buy and I've read good stuff about this one and I know I can buy it at my chemist, over the counter, it's called pHisoHex detergent cleanser. Have any of you heard of it before?

Here is a bit about it, the ingredients are in italics....

Quote from Drugs.com - "Phisohex, brand of hexachlorophene detergent cleanser, is an antibacterial sudsing emulsion for topical administration. Phisohex contains a colloidal dispersion of hexachlorophene 3% (w/w) in a stable emulsion consisting of entsufon sodium, petrolatum, lanolin cholesterols, methylcellulose, polyethylene glycol, polyethylene glycol monostearate, lauryl myristyl diethanolamide, sodium benzoate, and water. pH is adjusted with hydrochloric acid. Entsufon sodium is a synthetic detergent."

What it is used for, quote from Drugs.com - "Phisohex is indicated for use as a surgical scrub and a bacteriostatic skin cleanser. It may also be used to control an outbreak of gram-positive infection where other infection control procedures have been unsuccessful. Use only as long as necessary for infection control"

Now, I know that it is a synthetic cleanser, but it is supposed to work quite well. I'm willing to give it a try. Any thought's, help and ideas will be appreciated! Thanks.

Mumble

Edited by Mumble

Wow, thanks guys for the help! :angry: Lol. Anyway I bought Phisohex today, well my mum did anyway. :P 200mL for $10.90 (Australian dollars). The main ingredient is Triclosan 1% w/w. It is made by GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), well mine is, it is sometimes also made by Sanofi-aventis . So I'm gonna start using it tonight as my cleanser! And I'll see how I go.

By the way, I did more research on it and I found that FDA stopped selling Phisohex as an OTC in the USA, it can only be bought with a prescription in the USA. Australia is the only country that I know, that sells Phisohex OTC. :P

Edited by Mumble

NOTE: In my first post, it talked about Phisohex containing hexachlorophene. The truth is, it does not contain that today due to some bad effects caused by hexachlorophene. So that's why today it contains Triclosan instead. Edited by Mumble

Bacteria can develop resistance to triclosan. I'd avoid using antibacterial cleansers for more than a week or two at a time. A plain, gentle cleanser without medication is fine.

Bacteria can develop resistance to triclosan. I'd avoid using antibacterial cleansers for more than a week or two at a time. A plain, gentle cleanser without medication is fine.

Okay, I'll see after a fortnight.