Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hiimrb

My story on acne and nutrition.

Hi guys, I'm RYan, and I used to visit this board daily when I was like 17.

I'm 21 now, so that was like 2006-7. I was in high school and I had some pretty serious acne. I remember it got so bad that it affected my self-esteem tremendously. I had bacne on my shoulders and would wear coats and heavy jackets on hot days just because they had flaps to hide my neck. It killed my confidence and in turn my social life was limited. In short, it sucked.

I was a pretty determined kid though. I was already on the internet for a long time so it was a blessing to find acne.org, because I could do research to my hearts content. I started moderating my foods after trying proactive and some other 5% BP topical. I remember trying Salytic Acid wash. I tried a lot of things, actually: from aloe vera gel face masks, homemade aspirin face masks, tea tree oil, using fresh towels nightly for sleeping on, increased fish oil intake. I juiced carrots daily for beta-carotene and got whats called carotema (BC overdose where your skin turns orange). Pretty embarassing.

A lot of stuff works and a lot of stuff doesn't, some combinations work better than others, but whats essentially true is You are what you eat. What I mean is if you're eating fast food and drinking soda and then using topical treatments, you can expect limited success. Yea you might attack some new pimples but dont expect radient skin. Really, what you eat determines how beautiful your skin will be. Remember the skin is the biggest organ in the body, what we put in reflects what it looks like.

What does work is eating whole foods, as raw as possible, think like this: If it wasn't here 10,000 years ago, you might not want to eat it. Or if you can't pronounce something in the ingredients, you might want to avoid it. Avoid caffeine, avoid artificial sweeteners--but go for organic yerba mate tea and use stevia. Avoid pasturized milk and enhanced flour--but go for raw organic milk and brown rice (gluten free brown rice pasta is amazing at whole foods). Eat organic dark leafy greens. That includes Raw kale. Eat organic fruits and vegetables. Theres an excellent thread about green smoothies on this forum

Get adequate rest and drink lots of water. IF your acne is bad use tea tree oil for spot treatment and aloe vera gel as well. On a personal note I had success removing red marks with neosporin cream (not ointment) as spot treatment. Don't rely on topicals though, remember the key is your lifestyle.

Ever since my acne problems my life has turned around because it fueled a passion for diet and nutrition. Im also void of any acne and I never worry about it at all. I went through some hard times though so I Know what it feels like. As of recently I launched a website dedicated to eating well where I post some awesome recipes and food guides. You can find it here at http://www.practical-well-being.com/. Anything you find there will be safe for acne prone skin. its also completely free so, enjoy.

I wish you guys the best of luck and I hope this post has helped somebody. Have faith! Remember, if it wasn't here 10,000 years ago, you might want to think twice about eating it.

Very helpful info and amazing website! Keep up this great work and spreading the word..your 10,000 years rule reminded me of Mark's Daily Apple, blog promoting Primal Living. I recommend that website to everyone also.

Perhaps you are thinking of the enzymes papain or bromelain which are in pineapple and papaya?

Those are the best enzymes for breaking down protein. Although fruits may have enzymes that assist in breaking down sugars or carbs, they didn't seem to offer enzymes for protein.

Although Pineapple has papain in it, papain is mostly concentrated in its core and still in small amounts.

And although I did take papain and bromelain (the strongest enzymes in the world for protein), they didn't seem to have any noticeable effect on my acne. :cry: Only the HCl had an effect.

Edited by Dotty1

Completely off topic but Dotty I just put that movie in your signature on my Netflix list. Watched the trailer, looks soooooooooo interesting. I'm way into sealife and all that junk, so thanks.

Very helpful info and amazing website! Keep up this great work and spreading the word..your 10,000 years rule reminded me of Mark's Daily Apple, blog promoting Primal Living. I recommend that website to everyone also.

No, she said milk + organic whole wheat + pasta = NON-paleo

Completely off topic but Dotty I just put that movie in your signature on my Netflix list. Watched the trailer, looks soooooooooo interesting. I'm way into sealife and all that junk, so thanks.

Jay, the Cove, won an Oscar.

No, she said milk + organic whole wheat + pasta = NON-paleo

The primal diet is in favor of dairy. And 10,000 years ago, full-time agriculture was wide spread.

Edited by alternativista

with milk you have to be careful. almost everything is pasteurized and homogenized. really the only thing im condoning is organic raw whole milk, which is very expensive and could be considered a treat. i think it would be also safe to eat organic raw cheese (mild cheddar) on occasion. just don't go crazy, and avoid anything pasteurized and homogenized. this is just from my experiences.

http://cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/Profiles...stures_logo.gif

Edited by hiimrb