Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zafu

Using the regimen without BP?

My doctor had put me on a regimen similar to this one. A gentle cleanser, BP, moisturizer, and anti-biotics. He said most of the work was done by the cleanser and BP. I had some success but I couldn't stand the skin redness and peeling.

I realize BP is the cornerstone of the regime but it also has the greatest side effects. Has anyone tried using the regimen without BP?

This was years ago and I was on the regimen for about 6 months.

The redness and peeling was worse than the acne though I can't imagine living with that for years until it subsides.

BP is the cornerstone of the Acne.org regimen, so if you're not going to use BP, you can't really do The Regimen (The Regimen without BP would just be washing and moisturizing). There are plenty of other regimens out there that don't call for BP, though.

What kind of BP did the doctor give you back then? A 2.5% BP? A 5% or 10%? Was it straight-up BP, or was it BP combined with something else? And when you used it, how much did you use and how often?

All of those things could have an impact on how your skin reacted back then.

It was 10% bp.

The other thing is he didn't do a good job of recommending soap and lotion products. He said they should be gentle cleansing and non-comedogenic. I was sort of left on my own to figure that one out.

Ah, yeah, 10% can be really irritating.

Maybe you can still use BP after all. With The Regimen, you'd be using a 2.5% BP, which is just as effective against ace as 5% and 10% BPs, but it's way less irritating. And since you work your way up from a tiny bit of BP to the full amount slowly, you skin has an easier time adjusting.

If you had some success with the regimen your doctor put you on, but quit because of the irritation, The Regimen might actually work really well for you.

I completely agree with c'est la vigne. A few years ago I used 10% BP on my face and it hated me for it. My face was super red, it burned and was very irritated. I figured well 10% is stroner than 2.5% so it will be more effective right? The only thing it is more effective at is irritating your skin!!!! If I were you I'd try using the regimen but only using 2.5% BP, so much gentler on your skin. You will have some dryness and possibly redness, but nothing like when you used 10% BP. So far I've had pretty good results with the 2.5%.

Thanks for the input I'm considering doing the full regimen.

I'm trying to take a minimax approach to my acne problem. I'm including all the steps that are less likely to produce side effects first. I'm using fresh pillow cases, not touching my face, avoiding hot showers, and only washing my face with distilled water and cetaphil for now.

Thanks for the input I'm considering doing the full regimen.

I'm trying to take a minimax approach to my acne problem. I'm including all the steps that are less likely to produce side effects first. I'm using fresh pillow cases, not touching my face, avoiding hot showers, and only washing my face with distilled water and cetaphil for now.

Hey- I agree with everyone above about the regimen. For facial cleansers and lotion I use CeraVe. I tell everyone about this stuff because it keeps my skin so moist. This is what my dermatologist recommended and is noncomedogenic. This is what it means. I got this from CeraVe website (Like all CeraVe Skin Care products, CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion is noncomedogenic (does not cause pimples or acne by clogging pores), non-irritating, and fragrance-free.) You can get this brand at Walgreens and Ritaid. The lotion is about $12, but last for months. I hope this helps. Good luck :)