Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lovemetal41

Im sick of acne I need to express my feelings...

Hello everyone

I just really need to get out how I am feeling right now about my horrible acne, Its basically take over my life and I think about its CONSTANTLY literally eveery minute of everyday. I feel just so ugly just disgusting and spotty. NOTHING ever works, Ive tried benzoyl perxoide, salicylic acid, a million other acids, agera skin peels, right now im doing glycolic acid peels and microderm, have only done one of those. Im so depresed right now everyday is a struggle to live with acne, I have to apply makeup everyday andim so sick of feeling like shit to the point I just want to die. I just want to have normal skin, not even perfect just NORMAL. I have about 15 active spots on my face right now, that is SO MANY. on top of that I have so many red marks on my face. It make me sick. I cnt look in the mirror without having makeup on. Im going to go see a dermatologist in a few days who will hopefully provide me with medication to suit my specific acne.

Anyway I hope you guys can tell me things that have worked for you.

for example anyone done glycolic peels, microderm, taken lymecycline?

Thanks

x

The best advice I can give you is to NEVER GIVE UP! A dermatologist will give you many different meds. Some may work and some may not, but dont quit. I have tried medications (minocycline first) and it worked great for awhile. Then as my skin changed it lost its effectiveness. The same thing with topicals. Everyone is different, even Accutane doesnt work for everyone. Keep experimenting until you find something that works. Good Luck!

The best advice I can give you is to NEVER GIVE UP! A dermatologist will give you many different meds. Some may work and some may not, but dont quit. I have tried medications (minocycline first) and it worked great for awhile. Then as my skin changed it lost its effectiveness. The same thing with topicals. Everyone is different, even Accutane doesnt work for everyone. Keep experimenting until you find something that works. Good Luck!

Let me say that I feel your pain in every sense of the word.

I am 23 now. I started getting mild acne at about 16, and it progressively became worse and worse. By the time I was 18, it had developed into full-blown cystic acne (the ugliest and most painful kind). I tried everything: oral antibiotics (Doxycycline and Minocycline), Benzaclin, NeoBenz, IPL laser surgery, Smoothbeam laser surgery, chemical peels, blue light treatment, Differin, Tazorac, UV light treatment, sulfur washes, extractions, cortisone injections, Yaz birth control, and every home remedy and over-the-counter product money can buy. Between product costs, doctor's visits, and laser surgery tabs, I had spent thousands, with barely noticeable improvement. Worst of all, I was a picker. A BAD picker. I would set aside about a half an hour every night to go into my bathroom and lock the door. I then picked, squeezed, and popped my skin to the point of bleeding, scarring, and even bruising. I squeezed so hard, I was actually bruising.

I never went a day without makeup. I actually would wake up ten or fifteen minutes earlier than family or friends (or even boyfriends) so that I could put makeup on before they saw me. Not one living soul saw me without makeup for about two or three years. During the day, I would turn off the light in the bathroom, avoid mirrors, try to cover my face with long hair, and not look people in the eye. I cried, I prayed, I believed, I had faith that something would heal me. Nothing did.

And at the age of 21, at the very end of my rope, I finally went on Accutane. Within three months, my skin was perfectly clear. I still had red spots from old lesions (and you mentioned that you also have red spots). It was emotional turmoil for me: I was so elated to finally have clear skin, but at the same time, I was so upset that my doctor hadn't put me on it YEARS ago. Why couldn't I have gone on it when I was still in high school? Why did my prom have to be ruined? My Homecoming dance? My birthdays? My life?

I got off Accutane in December of 2008, after being on it for 6 months. I stayed on the Yaz birth control all the way until February of 2010, however, because I would afraid I would break out. Well, I did. Not badly, but after I worked that hard to keep my skin clear, a few pimples made me cry, because I wondered if it would all come back again. I asked my dermatologist if I could go on a second round of Accutane. She said no. I was beside myself.

So I went online looking for an answer, and stumbled across acne.org. I thought, what the heck? And I am happy to say that those few pimples cleared up, and that I am once again enjoying clear skin. So my advice to you, my friend, is to do two things:

1) Follow Dan's regimen exactly, word for word, step by step.

2) After two or three weeks, evaluate your skin. If you don't see significant improvement, ask your doctor to prescribe Accutane. It will be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Thank you for having the courage to share on the board. I hope this has been of help to you, and please know that you are not alone. Even more important, however, is please know that your skin will get clear once you find the right treatment. And if you are left with some scarring like I was, there are also several procedures to help get rid of that as well.

Hang in there. It will happen for you. :)

Let me say that I feel your pain in every sense of the word.

I am 23 now. I started getting mild acne at about 16, and it progressively became worse and worse. By the time I was 18, it had developed into full-blown cystic acne (the ugliest and most painful kind). I tried everything: oral antibiotics (Doxycycline and Minocycline), Benzaclin, NeoBenz, IPL laser surgery, Smoothbeam laser surgery, chemical peels, blue light treatment, Differin, Tazorac, UV light treatment, sulfur washes, extractions, cortisone injections, Yaz birth control, and every home remedy and over-the-counter product money can buy. Between product costs, doctor's visits, and laser surgery tabs, I had spent thousands, with barely noticeable improvement. Worst of all, I was a picker. A BAD picker. I would set aside about a half an hour every night to go into my bathroom and lock the door. I then picked, squeezed, and popped my skin to the point of bleeding, scarring, and even bruising. I squeezed so hard, I was actually bruising.

I never went a day without makeup. I actually would wake up ten or fifteen minutes earlier than family or friends (or even boyfriends) so that I could put makeup on before they saw me. Not one living soul saw me without makeup for about two or three years. During the day, I would turn off the light in the bathroom, avoid mirrors, try to cover my face with long hair, and not look people in the eye. I cried, I prayed, I believed, I had faith that something would heal me. Nothing did.

And at the age of 21, at the very end of my rope, I finally went on Accutane. Within three months, my skin was perfectly clear. I still had red spots from old lesions (and you mentioned that you also have red spots). It was emotional turmoil for me: I was so elated to finally have clear skin, but at the same time, I was so upset that my doctor hadn't put me on it YEARS ago. Why couldn't I have gone on it when I was still in high school? Why did my prom have to be ruined? My Homecoming dance? My birthdays? My life?

I got off Accutane in December of 2008, after being on it for 6 months. I stayed on the Yaz birth control all the way until February of 2010, however, because I would afraid I would break out. Well, I did. Not badly, but after I worked that hard to keep my skin clear, a few pimples made me cry, because I wondered if it would all come back again. I asked my dermatologist if I could go on a second round of Accutane. She said no. I was beside myself.

So I went online looking for an answer, and stumbled across acne.org. I thought, what the heck? And I am happy to say that those few pimples cleared up, and that I am once again enjoying clear skin. So my advice to you, my friend, is to do two things:

1) Follow Dan's regimen exactly, word for word, step by step.

2) After two or three weeks, evaluate your skin. If you don't see significant improvement, ask your doctor to prescribe Accutane. It will be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Thank you for having the courage to share on the board. I hope this has been of help to you, and please know that you are not alone. Even more important, however, is please know that your skin will get clear once you find the right treatment. And if you are left with some scarring like I was, there are also several procedures to help get rid of that as well.

Hang in there. It will happen for you. :)

aww thank you so much for the encouraging words and for sharing your story! I do feel alot better (not in a mean way), but just to know that im not alone suffering this. You have described excactly my story, NO ONE has seen me without makeup for the last 4 years or something, I hate looking in mirrors, I cover my face with hair, acne basically dictates my life, argh im so sick of it!!!

I will definetly take your advice thank you!!

You are so, so welcome! You know, when I first became a member on this website, I wondered, should I use an avatar like many members? Or an actual picture of myself? In the end, I decided to do an actual picture of myself, just in my skin, because I want people to know that acne can be conquered once and for all.

I don't know if you can send messages to other members on this website, but please either update this page or send me some kind of message to let me know how things are working out for you as time goes on. I'd love to hear about your progress. :)

Dermatologists can piss you off quite often i know. but that one time they give you what you want and need and it WORKS. youll learn to love them. your skin is different and uinque. persevere and it will pay off. i remember feeling liek my acne WOULDNT and COULDNT go away, like there wasnt a treatment for what i had, but there was after much searching. i used to put my hair in my face and stay in the shadows but it took confidence to say no! got my hair out of my face and went and got some SUN! your not alone and theres a cure.

I feel you.

I started getting acne when I was 12. It got progressively worse and by the time I was 15, it was inflammed cystic acne. All over my face, including my back and chest. I was a horrible picker and my skin was so badly scarred and inflammed (I'd have at least 3 huge pimples at any one time) I refused to look in the mirror at all. I was so disgusted with how I looked I couldn't even look people in the eye. It got so bad to the point that I cried myself to sleep. I was utterly depressed. I prayed, washed my face regularly, went for painful facials, used the strongest possible acne creams. Nothing worked.

At 17, I decided I had enough. I made an appointment to see a derm and I told him screw the antibiotics and hormonal treatment, I want Accutane. I was so sick of myself that I just wanted out, fast.

Thankfully, Accutane worked and my skin started clearing up. I'm into my final months of treatment and now I get the occasional zit but it's no where near what it used to be. I still have scarring but Accutane has reduced that somewhat.

Hang in there. Don't give up hope. Your derm will probably be able to give you some recommendations that can alleviate your condition. Surely, something out there will be able to help you. You will eventually get better and feel better about yourself.

Take Control, ITA that I wish I'd known about Accutane earlier as well. All those miserable years could have been avoided. :wall: