Notifications
Clear all

Sudden major breakout

MemberMember
(@90nissan300zx)

Posted : 03/10/2010 3:39 pm

To make a long story short, I am a 24 year old male. I had moderate to severe cystic acne through my teen years. I had been put on different antibiotics (which seemed to help some), RX topical solutions (which irritated my skin), Proactiv and various face washes/scrubs. Until one day I was put on Accutane around the age of 18. My dermatologist back then was very hesitant to put me on Accutane, and for good reason. But finally did.

After being on Accutane for about 3 months I had to be taken off of the drug because it had rasied my liver enzymes too high. But after only 3 months, my skin looked MUCH better. It wasn't nearly as oily and I no longer had cystic acne. If I were to break out, they would be small and minor. Not huge and all over the place.

Well within the past month, I have been experiencing above normal stress levels. I started breaking out on both sides of my neck, behind my neck and a few on my face. It has progressively gotten worse within this past month. It now seems that 2 or 3 will clear up and the next morning I have 4 or 5 new breakouts. Very luckily, my chest and back are not suffering like before. Both my chest and back are 100% clear (knock on wood).

On top of my elevated stress level, I now have this to deal with again. Which in turn stresses me out even more and frustrates me to no end. Since I have been off of Accutane I have obviously had periods of stress but never usually broke out except one other time. About 2 years ago, out of nowhere, the back of my neck severely broke out. It would hurt to even turn my head in either direction. I was put on about a 6 week cycle of an antibiotic and it cleared me right up and never had another problem until now.

I made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow (March 11 2010); however I do not have health insurance. So the office visit alone is costing me $55, plus whatever he decides to put me on. Unfortuneately Accutane is out of the question because of how expensive it is. So I'm hoping another cycle of an antibiotic will clear me up like before.

I was just posting this in hopes that someone would come across it and maybe have some advice.

Thanks for any help

MemberMember
(@meansister)

Posted : 03/12/2010 3:19 pm

Antibiotic will make you more and more resistant to them with each round. This can be dangerous for when you have a very internal infection, no antibiotic can work or only the strongest, most dangerous one will work. It is a very frightening thing ... you have to try to research other ways to relieve acne, can't rely on antibiotics forever.

Have you tried Carley's Clear and Smooth? How about Retin A? These are good ones that works for many people. They do take a long time to see results though. ....Couple months....

MemberMember
(@90nissan300zx)

Posted : 03/12/2010 11:22 pm

Thanks for the reply meansister

Haven't tried either of those yet, I'll definately look into them though.

I know about the unfortunate consequences of using antibiotics. The only reason I considered it was because my lack of health insurance. I went to the doc yesterday and was prescribed Doxycycline (I was on this once before years and years ago; before Accutane and it worked well). On top of paying $55 for the office visit, I was pleasantly surprised that my local Giant Eagle Pharmacy had this antibiotic on their *free* list of RX's - even to people without insurance. Which was awesome.

Today has been day 2 on the Doxy and I know I won't see any results from the drug quite yet, though (knock on wood) my breakout/flare-up has somewhat started to settle down a bit.

I have been enjoying my skin for the past 6 years or so thanks to Accutane - up until now and to be completely honest, it scares me to even think about my skin going back to how it used to be.

I started doing some research on trying to get Accutane without insurance. I can't believe the price for the brand name! One local pharmacy quoted me a little over $700 for a 30 day supply of 40mg - and that was for Claravis! I called the next pharmacy down the street (literally a mile away) and their price was $336.96 for the same exact generic form/mg/30 day. And $239.99 for 10mg at the same place. So I think I'll keep calling around tomorrow and gather up different prices, monitor my skins progress and do more research.

I am aware of all of the side effects of Accutane and I am reserving that for last resort. But the way I see it is - hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Thanks for any more input or comments.

MemberMember
(@necharles)

Posted : 03/14/2010 12:25 pm

Please, allow me to help........

I've recently (past ten days) cleared all cystic acne from my face.... How did I do It? A two day fast, followed by a low to no carb diet... That simple..

I was in month three of a really bad breakout, where four weeks of bactrim + retin a did nothing.... I've been off the bactrim for a month now, I still use the retin a once a week as it is still needed for my keratinization problems...

About me/my acne.... I'm 27, in great shape, eat everything and anything (ate) and lots of it.... My body can burn tablespoons of honey without an ounce of fat appearing on my body.... I abuse insulin; thru heavy carb consumption (lots of sugars and starches... leading to heavy insulin release in my blood stream). This causes the cystic inflammation that plagues me on the order of three-six, dime-nickel sized lumps a week.... Not fucking fun...

Anywayz, this past week i've had complete (one non-cyst on temple) regression of a face full of cysts; any new pore blockages have quickly purged and receeded... while remaining in the small (very small) pustular state... I am nearly sure I have found my cure; and I was just about to throw in the towel and buy an insurance plan to start isotretinoin therapy...

To conclude: If your struggle seems similar to mine (age, weight, eating habits;) try no/low carb diet for a week... I dare you.... Then report back, let us know....

Furthermore: THis was a very abreviated summation of my trials and tribulations, If you have questions try looking up my past posts for the full story; If that doesn't help go ahead and reply or pm me... I'm inconsistent on my org usage but I'll try and hit you back.... Good luck and please give it a try... Fuck antibiotics they destroy your system!

EDIT: here are some pics, notice the redmarks on my right cheek from seven lucky gigantic zits that have nearly all flattened in the past week... Also, note that I got wicked baked and chowed down on some chinese food a day ago (no rice but lots of sugar I'm sure) so we'll see how I hold up....Oh and I drank copius amounts of beer, real beer... not budweiser beer-water.

post-109003-1268588413_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@troubledme)

Posted : 03/14/2010 12:58 pm

hiii,

I also have suddenly got a majorrrr breakout on my cheeks and doxy or accutane coud not cure it.Infact made it worst..I have stopped dairy, meat, poultry,fish, bread, processed foods, chocolates etc, But i can see only minor10% improvement.I have major cystic and pustular breakouts.I have tried BP, proactive, neutrogena, mario badescu etc. Absolutely nothing seems 2 b working. My doc said that i shouldnt b takin stress as it triggers my acne but its a viscious cysle.Everytime i look @ mirror i get more n more depressed.Please help any1 who can suggest anything!!

PS: I am an asian cum here 2 study n my insurance doesnt cover any acne treatments.

post-122799-1268589631_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@necharles)

Posted : 03/14/2010 1:37 pm

hiii,

I also have suddenly got a majorrrr breakout on my cheeks and doxy or accutane coud not cure it.Infact made it worst..I have stopped dairy, meat, poultry,fish, bread, processed foods, chocolates etc, But i can see only minor10% improvement.I have major cystic and pustular breakouts.I have tried BP, proactive, neutrogena, mario badescu etc. Absolutely nothing seems 2 b working. My doc said that i shouldnt b takin stress as it triggers my acne but its a viscious cysle.Everytime i look @ mirror i get more n more depressed.Please help any1 who can suggest anything!!

PS: I am an asian *come*(important spelling correction) here 2 study n my insurance doesnt cover any acne treatments.

I see you've tried eliminating some carb groups, but have you tried a total carb fast? Try that for a week or two, I'm talking near zero sugar and starch intake. Also, how old are you? Whats your height and weight? i want details.......Also keep in mind that soy has decent amounts of sugar; this was one of my hardest to part with. That, along with rice and beer; for their high starch content.

MemberMember
(@troubledme)

Posted : 03/15/2010 5:42 pm

Hey thanks for replying..its really difficult to cut out carbs totally:( I am 24 n weigh 155 pounds..i have started exercising regularly ... but nothing..absolutely nothings helpin me:(( i was improving a little a few days ago but now its going back 2 wer it was my whole face is red n inflameed..d acne dries up wid mario badescu but then gets filled with pus again :( its lik a never ending cycle!

MemberMember
(@beatrixszokola)

Posted : 06/06/2016 7:48 am

PostedMarch 15, 2010
I want to go back to when the last post was posted in this thread. That is a good day to go back to. I would start treatment with B12 injections right away.