Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ever since acne, my self-esteem and appreciation for my looks has decreased while my self-consciousness and vanity have increased. I look at people and criticize them on their looks. I memorize some people's facial features, of course only the positives. In the back of my head, I sometimes base a person on their looks. I feel as if a good-looking person is a better person (but then I quickly force myself to remember that its the inside that counts... which it really does, but its so hard to remember and find). I look at girls and I don't care if they are ugly or pretty. Honestly.

Being a guy, it feels gay to look at guys so meticulously. I honestly feel jealous sometimes that I don't feel or look good enough sometimes. Even though all people are different and they are born with their appearances, I feel sometimes when I look at people that they are just better off in life with better looks (especially without acne). I feel inferior to sum it up in the presence of someone considered "attractive."

These feelings always change though. And some days I feel extremely attractive. But sometimes I consider myself a "butt-his face" lol. I have a great body. That gets me by because sometimes my face and acne does not pull through for me.

I wish that you could do something physically demanding to fix your face, just like working out to improve your body. That would really even the playing field. Shiiiiiit, if working out determined your facial/acne status, I would be clear in a heart beat, and all of the fat ass lazy bums would be breaking out.

Edited by Jonima

I feel better knowing I can relate to you guys.

I have pretty rough acne, and even worse facial redness. Seriously, my whole face is beat red, ALL the time, cause of an inccident where I got severe sunburn while differin was on. Fml, right?

I was washing my hands in the bathroom today and I seriously have to look straight down when others are around me. I look at myself alone and I'm like well it's not THAT bad, but when I'm near other people looking at their skin, I look terrible. It really gets me down.

I broke down in tears, while at dinner with my family tonight. It's my birthday.

Why do I feel like I'm being so held back?

Edited by Tha Caveman

Poor guy...birthdays are supposed to be happy, I know what you mean. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I'm not even close to being excited about it. Just another year wasted because of acne...

Yea the birthday thing can be rough. I just had my 21st last November and my face was decent at the time, but i would have liked to be a little clearer. I woke up and thought to myself "the more I sit here and look at myself, the more depressed I'm gonna get and I can't be depressed at my own 21st birthday party" so I just started drinking at like noon, and stayed consistently drunk all day till my party at like 11 p.m. lol. It worked, I never looked in the mirror since noon because I was drunk and didn't really care about anything and had an awesome time. The apartment was packed with tons of friends and it was great. The past couple years when I started letting acne get to my self esteem, people always say they LOVE me when I'm drunk because I'm so much fun. I used to be like that all the time but now if I'm not feeling good about my skin, the only way I really have fun is if I'm drunk. I'm in no way condoning "drinking your problems away", I definitely don't take it to that extent, but it does help me not care about my face.

Yeah dude I feel you.

I'm trying to completely change who I am once I'm out of highschool and entering college.

I'm just really shy right now, and I want to make the best out of everything.

I now refuse to leave my house as Im sick of people staring at me. Every time I went out some where I was always the ugliest person in the room/place etc. Ive never know what its like to look normal, let alone pretty or ever had someone compliment me. The last time I went out in public (at the train station) a complete stranger asked me if I was born a man and had a sex change. No I have not I am female and was born one

Poor guy...birthdays are supposed to be happy, I know what you mean. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I'm not even close to being excited about it. Just another year wasted because of acne...

my birthday's coming up this month and im already begging my friends to call off my party cuz i dont wanna be seen...i usually got along okay with my acne and scars, no t with new people but just my close friends, but the last week especially ive lost all my confidence, i switched to distance-ed college, got dumped for being too ugly, and now my friends are freaking out cuz i wont leave the house...none of which is helping any, AND its raining nonstop which makes me even more depressed....im so glad ive got this place...

Just to put this in perspective guys... I know this sucks. And I know it feels like you really got a raw deal. I definitely know the feeling. But believe me... How your skin looks is not the end all to happiness. I have worked around some of the most beautiful looking people in the country. And many times, they are absolutely some of the most screwed up, ugly, sad, pathetic, unhappy people, I have ever met. I've met people in wheelchairs that were happier. So your looks and skin are by no means a guarantee to happiness. Yes, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them. But many people who look perfect on the outside, are the ugliest on the inside. Come to a place like L.A... Beautiful people are a dime a dozen. Most of them are complete idiots. And the second they start losing their looks, they freak out... because they have absolutely nothing else going on. Some of the coolest people I ever met in my life... who were the most talented, most respected, and just all around awesome... were not the best looking. How you carry yourself in life is what earns people's respect. People are born good looking. Anybody can do that. If you punish yourselves and remove yourselves from life because you don't think you're good enough... Believe me... You think you hate life now? You will absolutely be hating yourself for doing that to yourself years from now. It will make acne feel like nothing in comparison. I guarantee it.

If only how we were on the inside was portrayed on the outside. Like if how we were as people determined our skin and appeareance on the outside. I'm sure we'd all be beautiful

I cry almost everyday and had suicidal thoughts because of my acne scars....I even resorted to alcohol and drugs just to forget the feeling that I'm the biggest loser in the world.....

Great post Dave99!!! You hit the nail right on the head!

It's all an extremely difficult inner struggle. Life IS NOT fair. As a matter of fact, life is cruel. We live the life that was assigned to us. and that's it. We don't choose our looks. We don't choose where or when we are born. That is all completely out of our control and predetermined by God.

I don't mean to get religious here but you can't deny God. It's easier said than done, I'm one to know, but you need to realize that WE ARE ALL 100% EQUAL in this world. No one is better than anyone else. Brad Pitt is just as equal as the homeless bum I saw on the streets of NY last weekend. We all need to try hard to find out inner self and realize that good looking people ( or people with clear skin) are not better or superior to us AT ALL. If anyone treats you unfairly just because you have acne, that tells you ALOT about that person. Most of all, it tells you that they haven't found themselves yet. This is usually because people get to caught up in the "material" world of looks/beauty/money/power/image, etc... that they forget about the undeniable fact that WE ARE ALL EQUAL.

What do you all think about that? make sense??

I totally agree. I cant help but be jealous and feel sorry for myself. Even if your not ugly, Acne makes you ugly. Unattractive.

Edited by gday123

Just even looking to a person with really good skin or even just a clear one, even without looking how pretty they are... it makes me feel jealous, sad and a feeling of regret by not taking extra care of my skin when I still used to have a very clear one because I thought I don't need to.

Now I don't want nothing in the world but to have my clear skin back. :( Just a clear skin and I would not ask for anything else...

Definitely know what you mean. And the worst part is, (and I am in no way at all trying to be conceited or anything), without acne I am a very good looking guy, so all my friends are really good looking because i made most of them before I really had acne. It suuuuccks. All the girls I hang out with are really pretty with completely flawless skin. But, they still seem to want to hang out with me all the time even though my face looks a lot worse then when they met me so I guess they could really care less. It's good that they're are plenty of pretty girls out there that aren't so superficial. Most of the girls I have met in college that are good looking don't care at all either. I think my guy friends that all have perfect skin bugs me more cause I feel like I stand out more when we first meet people cause they all have good skin and I don't.

this is same with me! I get told im pretty by people, but I just don't feel it at all, i feel so ugly cos of acne. It always good to have good friends who don't judge you :)

being a guy makes it harder to talk about things like this...but lately its been bugging me so much that one of my closest friend asked me to stay over one night and talked to me all night trying to convince me im not ugly, lol, and yeah he made me feel better about myself...all about the mind. im gonna try to focus on my other positive traits cuz i know damn well that im a great person even with acne! its just a little hard to remember that sometimes cuz u see a face before you meet a person

I totally envy those people with perfect skin who are so used to all of it's perfectness that even when they don't take care of it... it's still perfect!! It's not fair!!.. Acne is a total bummer and I do feel like it holds me back. I know I shouldn't but it's so hard, I feel like when people look at me... that's all they see. Sometimes I refuse to leave my house to even see my boyfriend because I don't want him to see me like that.. things shouldn't have to be like this.

Bright lights are the worst. I feel completely exposed under them.

*Sigh* Come on accutane, give me the one thing I've always wanted so I too can feel confident and pretty :(

I can't even watch tv without raging at the people that go out, socialize and be happy when i'm alone in my room with a face splattered with BP

Yes. I don't even like being around good looking people, it bothers me and makes me very uncomfortable and nervous xD

Especially those mexican chicks with ton of make up (some of them are actually hot). But yeah they make me nervous cuz they seem so rude, and if I talk to them they would just bring up my acne and start hitting it on my face in front of everyone. But I don't really envy people a lot with perfect skin, cuz I also believe that one day I will have clear skin too.

I get extremely jealous when I see a really pretty girl, especially when they have pretty much perfect skin. It's like the feeling just consumes me, too. I feel kind of worthless compared to them. When I see a really good looking guy, I do my best to avoid him. Just because I feel like he'll just look at me and think I'm ugly. I don't know, in general very good looking people make me super jealous and at the same time intimidate me very much.

Does anyone else get these kind of feelings?

I think you have a good-loooking skin. :) And you're a looker, and glorious. :) Don't stress about this :P

*Hugs* You need it. :P he he

Edited by EddieE

To be honest, I think I rather have pimples... just briefly. I want to focus on school, because my major is indeed hard. :P I must work hard ,and avoid socializing. I am used to it... I've been a loner for ever because of acne... and the shyness... :P I was very shy, and had acne.. GOOD combination. >_< That's why I don't have female friends. This, I am glad... :) Even though I care about people. And I would help anyone if they ask me ;)

PS: OK, I rather not have pimples.. lol But I rather stay shy. ha ha :P

Edited by EddieE
I get extremely jealous when I see a really pretty girl, especially when they have pretty much perfect skin. It's like the feeling just consumes me, too. I feel kind of worthless compared to them. When I see a really good looking guy, I do my best to avoid him. Just because I feel like he'll just look at me and think I'm ugly. I don't know, in general very good looking people make me super jealous and at the same time intimidate me very much.

Does anyone else get these kind of feelings?

I know this feeling all too well...

Even though I have a long term boyfriend, who has girls drooling over him everywhere he goes, I never feel good enough and I always feel in competition. Not because I'm insecure. But because I hate my acne. I always feel like people are staring at my face thinking "disgusting, does she not wash her face or something?"

OF COURSE I WASH MY FACE. IT'S NOT MY FAULT. That's how I feel a lot of the time, when I'm having a bad breakout. Sometimes if I'm out with my boyfriend, or with him and some of his friends I don't know well, I'll be quiet the whole night, and try to use a hand to cover up a part of my face that is particularly troublesome....

I feel like my acne is the reason I don't have a lot of friends at school. And I constantly fear that it'll be used against me. When someone is trying to decide who they want to work with in a group, or who they want at their party...

its weird, i feel horrible about having acne because most people i kno dont have to deal with poor skin. but, when i do meet people with acne, i dont hold it against them. my boyftreind has mild acne, but i still think hes totally cute. when i look in the mirror, though, all i can see are my blemishes. in fact, i often try to avoid looking in mirrors unless im in my bathroon alone and about to wash my face. :P

Gorgeous people are overated most of them have bad personalities and are stuck up.Looks go away eventually and when they are left with there ugly selves later in life they usually suffer more than someone that was ugly most their lifes because they depended on their looks all their life.

If anyone goes to university they will be able to relate to me when i say that your around good looking people/perfect skin ALL THE TIME. Its very tough, but its true that alot of people with clear skin and perfect looks are usually idiots or very stuck up. It kinda makes you wonder if you would be the same had u grown up without a blemish on your face.

But not everyone is like that, im friends with alot of people who have clear skin and their really cool. I just wish i could be the same. I think my main regret in life so far is that my skin prevents me from being me, a really fucking awsum person.